#1 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Well my 9 year old Britt was perfectly fine Friday morning , inhaled her breakfast and we went for a walk and by saturday morning she could barely move, stopped eating and off to the vet since I thought I could see some yellowing in her eyes

Of course they said it was just a bug since her blood work was fine gave her a needle just in case and charged me like $450 bucks and said they were seeing her Tuesday anyway since he was her regular yearly check up 

This morning I carried her into the vet lifeless like a bag of potatoes and now she is in intensive care with liver failure which they now seem to think is from that same bad water crap you guys are seeing on the mainland

The tests are still being done in PEI so we will not know 100% until tomorrow but I got them to start flushing the liver and treatment as if she has this

He just called and there is now a slight improvement but not enough that she is out of danger yet

I have no idea where she got into contact with this other than she eats grass and dirt sometimes when we walk she was not in any water

She is a tough old girl for sure as he says and hope she can pull through this since most times they just die

Keep a real close eye guys on your dogs since I think the problem is way more advanced across the province than they are telling us especially if your dogs will be going in the water soon hunting

Cheers

#2 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1734 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

Joe  -  hoping all turns out well for your dog.  You're right, scary stuff and it's not far from my mind when I have my springer out.  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Joe  -  hoping all turns out well for your dog.  You're right, scary stuff and it's not far from my mind when I have my springer out.  

Thanks. I am scared to death since if proven I have no idea where she picked it up and I have a second three year old here that so far is Ok

I washed all their bowls with a strong javex like solution I use in the greenhouses today, their mats and what ever I could think of they use since I am not sure if it can spread to my other Britt

Cheers

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

Just to add and you guys probably know this

The vet also said onions, garlic, many mushrooms or peanut butter with the new artificial sweetners are all deadly to dog's livers and can cause failures as I am seeing with mine

Cheers

#5 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2671 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

I hope your dog will be Ok 3macs1.

Has she had any ticks on her?

I think ticks can give dogs issues with their organs.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#6 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Dogs get a vaccination for ticks unlike humans, it's that green algae bloom, taken a few dogs out already this year, sorry to hear hope she pulls through.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#7 dreamwaters

dreamwaters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

Very sorry to hear your girl is having this trouble 3macs1 - you must be worried sick. Sounds like she’s in good hands and you’ve done all the right things and promptly too. Keep us up to date please. Wishing her all the best for a quick and fulsome rebound.
Dave
"When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him."

#8 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

Hoping for fast full recovery. Good luck.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

She has always taken that monthly treatment which at first was one of the things we thought might have made her sick since she just had a dose the day before. The vet has ruled out ticks this time

Cheers

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

Very sorry to hear your girl is having this trouble 3macs1 - you must be worried sick. Sounds like she’s in good hands and you’ve done all the right things and promptly too. Keep us up to date please. Wishing her all the best for a quick and fulsome rebound.
Dave

Thank you Dave she is really mama's girl and mama is a mess of course. The three year old seems to stick to me where as the 9 year old is stuck to my wife

Thank God I went back yesterday and didnot wait until today or I think she would have passed on

We are going in this afternoon only by fluke the two Britts had their yearly check ups and needles scheduled for today so I hope to see her

Cheers

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

Dogs get a vaccination for ticks unlike humans, it's that green algae bloom, taken a few dogs out already this year, sorry to hear hope she pulls through.

I hear you but so far it has not been reported in cape breton that I am aware of

Cheers

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2764 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:07 AM

Joe hoping for the best for your dog , they are family after all ,

We just had our Rottie to the vet last month for check up , she told us to stay away from any natural water sources , blue / green algea has been spotted and reported in parts of the island but not enough to raise alarm bells as she said it been found in back water lakes and streams.

She also said carry your own water for walks and keep him out of any Brooks or streams till we start to get steady amounts of rain to flush out any contaminants . So guys everyone watch where your dogs are traveling outdoors if of leash . There was just a report on Lingan Bay here on CTV saying water tests are under way due to possible BLUE/GREEN Algea Bloom . Someone had thier dog there and it got sick as well from possible ingestion .

For now we have been limiting where our two dogs go for walks our 14 Pomerainian is mostly yard bound here or at the cottage but for our 2 year old Rottie we have to keep him leashed outside with us. Doesn't take much to make your extended family members sick .

There has been few cases reported at vets of ticks with dogs here in Cape Breton , Check between the toes , behind the ears and under the front legs along the chest area , these are the most possible spots for any Ticks to be embedded or found on your dog after being outside . Vaccinations are now good for 3 years but still it's only a vaccinations it does not stop a tick from getting on dogs or cats and the risks are still there if bitten , a vaccinated animal has antibodies to fight it for the most part but still needs Vetranary attention to stop it fully .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:26 AM

Joe hoping for the best for your dog , they are family after all ,

We just had our Rottie to the vet last month for check up , she told us to stay away from any natural water sources , blue / green algea has been spotted and reported in parts of the island but not enough to raise alarm bells as she said it been found in back water lakes and streams.

She also said carry your own water for walks and keep him out of any Brooks or streams till we start to get steady amounts of rain to flush out any contaminants . So guys everyone watch where your dogs are traveling outdoors if of leash . There was just a report on Lingan Bay here on CTV saying water tests are under way due to possible BLUE/GREEN Algea Bloom . Someone had thier dog there and it got sick as well from possible ingestion .

For now we have been limiting where our two dogs go for walks our 14 Pomerainian is mostly yard bound here or at the cottage but for our 2 year old Rottie we have to keep him leashed outside with us. Doesn't take much to make your extended family members sick .

There has been few cases reported at vets of ticks with dogs here in Cape Breton , Check between the toes , behind the ears and under the front legs along the chest area , these are the most possible spots for any Ticks to be embedded or found on your dog after being outside . Vaccinations are now good for 3 years but still it's only a vaccinations it does not stop a tick from getting on dogs or cats and the risks are still there if bitten , a vaccinated animal has antibodies to fight it for the most part but still needs Vetranary attention to stop it fully .

Thanks. Ticks has been eliminated by the vet but it has been driving me crazy trying to figure out where we can into contact with water. Then this morning when out with the three year old I looked and stopped her dead.

We cross a drain/ ditch when we go for our walks and it had maybe 2" of water in it. Not saying that is the source but the only water my 9 year old would have come into contact with. I will know today 100% if it was bad water from the pei tests

Cheers

#14 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2671 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:12 PM

Best of luck 3macs1!! our dogs are family members for sure.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#15 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

Best of luck 3macs1!! our dogs are family members for sure.

X2- At $4000.00 in vet bills so far this year alone with our 2, "damn straight they are family members"! 

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

X2- At $4000.00 in vet bills so far this year alone with our 2, "damn straight they are family members"! 

Agree ours are. It is not about money for sure mama and I are not even bringing that up. What ever it is it is in dollars just hope she comes home 

She is getting a blood transfusion as we speak now and then going to get hit with some heavy duty meds which he thinks will work

Good news no cancer or anything showed in the scans or tests . Something is attacking her immune system making either the red blood cells kill the white or the other way around I cannot recall. Not 100% sure yet if it came from water she can into contact with

Cheers

#17 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Hope everything works out 3Macs1

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thanks. Me too 

I have had some health issues with my Britts over the years but of course this was the dog that never even had an ear infection in 9 years

Cheers

#19 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2431 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

X2.

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10902 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

We just got back from the vet and we are now in a wait and see mode

Still in intensive care and getting two antibiotics and a high dose of prednisone, spline heavily swollen and fever gone which is some positive

He said the next 48 hours are critical and she is not out of danger yet with a 50/50 chance of making it

Some bacteria she came into contact with caused it he said

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users