• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Kittysmitty

Kittysmitty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:33 PM

Every year I hear the pros and cons about eating deer liver. One of my long time hunting buddies tells me we should not eat the liver due to all the spraying in the woods. Is there more spraying this year compared to others. Are there specific area that are sprayed.

We love our breakfast of fresh liver, bacon and onions. Opinions and thoughts? Thanks

#2 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5955 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

I eat the liver and the heart.I know lots of others who do and always did 45+years and most of us are still alive.There will always be those who say not to including DND/DLF or who ever they are today.
They also tell you to cook your wild game to well done,but why ruin it!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#3 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

I have always eaten the liver, one of the best parts along with cold heart sandwiches. Thats been a lot of liver over the years but probably not quite as much as some of the older members here?

ph34r.png 

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#4 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

I profess to know little about it from experience, but I did google the question of cadmium and liver and found this study from 12 years ago

http://www.cwhc-rcsf...inal_report.pdf

The stuff is in the soil.  The amount in deer is said to be non-toxic when compared to cattle in Nova Scotia.  It varies wildly between one animal and another, so that would depend on the concentration in the soil in that area.  It tends to get higher with age of the animal.

I'd think it couldn't add up to much for a person given how little of it one consumes in a year.  If a person was living off the land it would be a different matter.

#5 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

Deer liver yes, polar bear liver no.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#6 iceman

iceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

I hope so . Have eaten a lot in my life time and i'm still kick'n.

#7 dreamwaters

dreamwaters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

I eat it. I can’t imagine that one or two little ol' deer livers a year contain any significant amount of environmental toxins relative to what is sprayed/contained on/in everything else that we eat, drink and breathe. I seriously doubt there’s much healthier food out there. I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Enjoy and post your pics and recipes!
Cheers,
Dave
"When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him."

#8 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:45 PM

I have never had one but have heard talk about liver with spots and you should not eat them. Anyone else come across this ?

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:19 PM

YUP !!! ...10 yrs or so ago...twice actually. Whiteish / greenish spots.  I quit eating them then and there. We still eat the hearts...only IF my bullet misses it's mark by an inch or two wink.png;)

Fella I met a while back showed me pics of spots in one they got 2 yrs ago, his doe's liver was realllll bad ! He sent the pics off to DNR...I never heard from him anymore to see if they said anything else about it.
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:01 PM

I have never had one but have heard talk about liver with spots and you should not eat them. Anyone else come across this ?

Yes linnie ,back in the 1980's when my parents had a camp out on the Chester/Windsor  road , my dad and i both shot deer that had spots on the liver .At that time there were signs posted on some of the forested land out there that stated that the woods were being sprayed (with herbicides i assume ).We never ate any liver from that area .Never had any problems with deer liver from any other area i've hunted . PS  I've got a couple friends (and a few relatives :) ) that more than likely have a spot or two on their livers as well biggrin.png

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#11 DavidRM

DavidRM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:39 AM

i too think it has a lot to do with the area u hunt in. places that are turning into tree farms such as fomer bowater land in ann. and kings co.they have mostly wiped out smaller animals such as rabbits and porcupines as well as low deer numbers in most areas. in maney areas of east hans deer livers are probally ok from the valleyfloor in kings co. will most likely glow in the dark

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

I've had couple deer whith whitish spots all over the livers , one of which a warden came along with a wildlife biologist tagging along on his daily drive , both helped me load it up on my truck then the biologist asked if I'd allow him take measurements and samples of hair , saliva and small pice of meat , asked where the gut piles was to examine it , told him I had the heart and liver , showed it to him in the cooler , said throw out the liver don't eat with whitish spots on it , would only say there was several environmental factors that cause it but would not get into the exact causes when I asked exact Environmental issues what caused it . Only said it could make you sick and don't feed it to your pets either, what ever the issues were he would only say it builds up in the liver of the animal since it's the bodies filter .

I then asked if CWD ( Cronic Wasting Disease) was part of it and he ignored the question and just took his samples , Makes ya wonder if part of the reason Deer populations never Rebounded properly in parts of the province are there health and environmental issues in the heard found only in areas numbers are low or otherwise . Sure habitat loss is big part , but what other things are there we are not being told .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

Yes for sure in the 80's and 90's right around the time the deer crashed here

We were told not to eat them any more and I haven't since. Some also had holes in it

Cheers

#14 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2162 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

Love my fresh deer, bear, rabbit liver....but like any animal liver...I check it over for discolouration, spots, anything that looks suspicious...it is a filter afterall. But I have also seen DDD in person...and now that I know he has eaten deer liver for so many, many years....and looks like he does...I am not going to eat any more!!!

Butch

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

Love my fresh deer, bear, rabbit liver....but like any animal liver...I check it over for discolouration, spots, anything that looks suspicious...it is a filter afterall. But I have also seen DDD in person...and now that I know he has eaten deer liver for so many, many years....and looks like he does...I am not going to eat any more!!!

Butch

LOL. I have never met 3d but have been told just last week by a member here that knows him well that your post is very true :) 

#16 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Every year I hear the pros and cons about eating deer liver. One of my long time hunting buddies tells me we should not eat the liver due to all the spraying in the woods. Is there more spraying this year compared to others. Are there specific area that are sprayed.
We love our breakfast of fresh liver, bacon and onions. Opinions and thoughts? Thanks

Every year things like this are asked are deer livers safe to eat are trout safe to eat , etc... . This is really funny but not really , just stop and ask why would there not be warnings on the meat and seafood isles at your local grocers warning that you should not consume any more than one meal of this or that per week due to the levels of this or that in them ? Then ask yourself this , do the fish at the store swim in different water than the wild ones I catch ? Do cows in the field eat food that has some how been protected from the contaminants that the wild game animals consume and drink water that has been distiled to remove the contaminates? While you are eating your fresh fast food with its processed meats and preservatives or your good wholesome foods from the take and bake section of the trusted food industries local out let give it some real thought. By the way what's for supper ? Just some Food for thought pun intended . Not meant to upset any one , no really !
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

Every year things like this are asked are deer livers safe to eat are trout safe to eat , etc... . This is really funny but not really , just stop and ask why would there not be warnings on the meat and seafood isles at your local grocers warning that you should not consume any more than one meal of this or that per week due to the levels of this or that in them ? Then ask yourself this , do the fish at the store swim in different water than the wild ones I catch ? Do cows in the field eat food that has some how been protected from the contaminants that the wild game animals consume and drink water that has been distiled to remove the contaminates? While you are eating your fresh fast food with its processed meats and preservatives or your good wholesome foods from the take and bake section of the trusted food industries local out let give it some real thought. By the way what's for supper ? Just some Food for thought pun intended . Not meant to upset any one , no really !

What's for supper.??? Potatoes,spinach,green beans , carrots and chicken we grew/ raised here ourselves which is the best I can do with the environment I live in today. No sprays or chemicals did we apply

To each their own but I guess I was never hungry enough to eat some of that white spotted deer liver I had in the past. The look alone turned me away and I love liver

Cheers

#18 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

What's for supper ??   BBQ back ribs, ceasar salad, french bread , a shot or two of CR Black and a few coooold Corona's...lol

*** Liver n onions is still one of my fav meals ! wub.pngwub.png  In fact I'm having a feed Friday night, wink.pngwink.png  daughters treat...she's taking mama and me out to supper for our 35th anniversary cool.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12239 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

What's for supper ??   BBQ back ribs, ceasar salad, french bread , a shot or two of CR Black and a few coooold Corona's...lol

*** Liver n onions is still one of my fav meals ! wub.pngwub.png  In fact I'm having a feed Friday night, wink.pngwink.png  daughters treat...she's taking mama and me out to supper for our 35th anniversary cool.png

Congrats Kevin to you and the mrs

It was just 33 for us this year but together 41 

Cheers

#20 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5955 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:24 PM

Congrats Kevin!
35years wow- condolences to your wife.

Supper - deer chops of course and potatoes corn,peas and carrots and like joe all the veggies are from our garden.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users