#1 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

Anyone left on here planning to set up a couple snares?

I'm all ready with bears again at both sites  but with cam eras not working right not sure what out there.

Battery change up today and set tomorrow.

Pretty safe not seen a sow and cubs this year.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#2 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'm going to set next week

#3 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

Next week I'll be putting a snare out. I know where there are a few bears and I know a family that could put the meat to good use. I will keep some for myself but the bulk will go to actually two families.
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#4 nexgen

nexgen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationColchester Co.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:24 AM

I may set one, still have one coming to the bait.

My oldest has his big game license this year for the first time, but isn't real interested in bear. Trying to talk him into going so we'll see.

RB or clearcut, is there anywhere that has a tutorial on prepping the paws on a bear?

#5 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

My oldest has his big game license this year for the first time, but isn't real interested in bear. Trying to talk him into going so we'll see.

RB or clearcut, is there anywhere that has a tutorial on prepping the paws on a bear?

Prep for market??  seen it some place .  Think a couple years back in the trapping magazine they send out to Nafa members .

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#6 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

You know how you should do something and you don't...... The monster was in last night at site #2 and no snare set. Its big well over 400 lbs . No snare again tonight as didn't want to go back out in the drizzle. ( slight head cold and fever today).

He was in at 9pm and the smaller one was in at 3am . Smaller one is pretty round for a 100 lber.

Site 1 where 2 bears were harvested already , my snare pipe is dug out every night  but no cam . Cam working today.. Thinking its the monster as the sites are 1/2 km apart.

#7 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

I have an old plastic milk can that I am thinking I'll do some mods on it and a spring from a 330 to throw the snare plus I have one Aldrich type thrower that I have ready to go .
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#8 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

Down load from www.furharvesters.com or www.nafa.ca pelt handling guide . Skin every one like a taxidermist might buy it .

#9 nexgen

nexgen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationColchester Co.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

OK thanks, I'm good on the head and the pelt, just not sure where to make the cuts around the pads etc.

#10 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

Was out setting snares today.

Always forget about my pipes and the rain.

They fill up with water

Monster has moved off again as well the 100 bler . First time in a month he wasn't in last night.

New bear at site 1 . Was digging the popcorn out of the pipe before the rain hit.

Plan for a busy day tomorrow!!

#11 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

Busy morning resetting snares both set off.   Big guys been in 2 evening ago at 1845. So yesterday set my snare and went back in at 1900 to check it rather an let him sit there all night.

Go in  barrel not touched pipe snare still set. Don't bother to check cam  been no action.

Go home. Get up early go back in @700 still dark in the woods . Snare set off no bear. reset pull the card  check out second set  No bear  pull card. .

To my surprise first site on cam there was a big bear there at 1853 at my snare  and I show up at 1900 No action!! Big guy was back in at 2000.

Seems from the Tcam bears used the boulders I place on top of the pipe to their advantage  . Both bears rolled the boulder on top of the thrower.

Boulder not used today......What to do today.....

#12 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

Cut one tag this morning 135 lber at site 2 and snare set off at Site 1.

Monster and a cub was in last night  Didn't reset snare  hopefully cub will move off. Monster paw track is 7 " across.

First in my 6 years that I ever see cub tracks at the site.

Monster and I will meet one day soon.

#13 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hopefully the monster will be the next one for ya , great job on the Bears so far this year !
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#14 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

On my way in to the site I dropped a bag of carrots  couple weeks ago.

The little one I got was often there  and I noticed this morning there was a large print in the middle of the carrot mash.

\New bear and its big too . 250lbs plus for sure

#15 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:59 PM

130 lbs harvested with snare

Whats this weight???

#16 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

The # of bears here is crazy.

My furthest site is 1 km from home . Snare site this morning is 1/2 km away.

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:22 PM

I'd say that's a 300lb bear very easy if not more , That's a nice Bear for sure . The 3 that were up behind our property have taken a hiatous , nothing in last month moving thru there.
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#18 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

The weight I will go with is the "if not more". Your bears are on vacation in Springfield.

Went back this afternoon to replace cards in cameras.

Loaded the barrel with popcorn  if the cub is gone tomorrow the special bait goes in the hole.

. I got 10 days before the bears are gone away. Oct 15 is the last I see them here.

#19 nexgen

nexgen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationColchester Co.

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

Congrats RB.

That second one looks like a hog!

#20 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

Haven't had much luck this season with the tcam. When its working the lens is fogged up . So I don't know how the bears are springing the snare at site one. If its nose set off  but thrower is always in the same position just set off and snare is not far and fully opened to 6 ".

. Did have a big bear  a couple years back where it was  setting off the thrower trigger with its paw .  It was playing Russian roulette  as it would just touch the trigger with its nails and pull back fast. It would do that 5-6 times and the snare would go off without a catch. Free lunch now.....

Maybe its back. Its big for a reason...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users