34 replies to this topic

#21 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

It's taunting you Razorback , try to adjust the trigger or put the bait tied into a onion bag to the rear of the trap held by small zip tie , making him put his paw in further , maybe this might help , I've used the onion bag trick and it's worked when dealing with a criter thats fustrated me in the past
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#22 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

I use a pipe set. so no trigger tension setting. Think the onion bag might be a nose catch .

Reset snare, all bears disappeared last night . 204 videos of squirrels.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#23 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

IMAG0386
IMAG0382

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#24 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

Maybe just little deeper for the bait , either that this bear is educated on this type set , could very well be one that been to your set in the past

#25 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

Try setting the snare in front of the pipe by about 16 inches like you would set it without the pipe . I would give that a try.  Sounds like a bear that I had 15 years ago that was stepping /pushing on the spring arm of the thrower and disengaging the trigger then helping him self to the bait caught  him  by using a second snare in a blind trail set about 10 yards out from where the baited snare was . Just set like i would any trail set leg hold trap . It worked .

Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#26 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

Wont need to do a second snare it will be there in the morning.

FINGERS CROSSED. .

No bears at site for 2 full days and nights.

#27 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:54 PM

Good luck ! Hope you get him.

#28 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

No bears for 3 days now at that site.

Small one showed up at the site  where his buddy bit the biscuit.

Wasn't to worried about the snare circle and blood

#29 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

I think your big one arrived at my place! I can't seem to post a picture here, too old to learn. we are not that far apart as the crow flies.

He has been at 3 of four carrot piles. angry.png

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#30 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

The monster lives on............  Went in this morning  from the trail I could see no action  both barrels still had logs across the tops.

Go it to drop off bread and in the snare is a 100lber  snare around its neck and dead.. Been snaring a few years and never caught a bear that way.

Body was still warm  feet were cool.  No rigger  Sure stunk inside when the knife opened the cavity. All the fat on its back was red.

Draw back to setting a pipe snare  the head must have been pushed hard to the eyes on the pipe  when its noses hit the trigger.

Well my season is over .

. 4 bears harvested from the land ,3 at that site in a month. my 295lb rifle , Tim's bear rifle, and a 100lber  snare . 4th bear was 130 lbs snare harvest 1/2 km away.

#31 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

Still was a good year for ya tho , be nice to keep out the trail cam to see if it comes back now that the couple smaller ones are cleared out there . As well those younger ones will sure have some nice tender meat . Now to p!an for next year and wait to see if big boy comes back , still time yet .
Congrats on great effort of filling your tags !

#32 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

Every trip back eats the road a little each time.Lots of mud on it now.

Thanks.

I did butcher the second bear yesterday and made sausages from Superslickie recipe . Taste test tonight.

#33 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

The 130 lb bear walking  butchered left me with 53lbs of meat with small amount of bone in meat . Bag of 25 lbs of bones and hard fat , trimmings .

Total 78 lbs hanging

So 52 lbs of skull fat and hide and paws.

#34 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

Well I finally got out to set a snare and when I got there I found that I forgot to put the wrench in my pocket to lock the snare to a tree . Any way I did make my set up and put some bait out as well as a trail camera just to see what is there . I also did a bit of a recon and retrieve session because not too far from where my set up is is a spot that I put two young guns in and loaned them a barrel, well they did not secure the barrel to a tree so a bear made off with it and they could not find it , The barrel not the bear. Any how the barrel has now been found after 15 min of tracking after it was missing for a couple of weeks , it was not too hard to follow the trail , lol . Going back tomorrow to actually put out my snare , wrench is packed . 

#35 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:15 PM

I make a loop in the snare and  put the holding end through  it . But I have found I usually need a wrench to undo the  snare end as its set tight to the paw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users