#1 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

I guess I'll get my tag for BlkPD and dig out the old soot belcher . I haven't hunted much in the last two years so I guess it's high time to get back to it. I have put several people on bear and deer spots in the last 10 so I guess instead of just being a guide its time to do some hunting. I don't have an inline gun and I use open sights so no hundred plus meter shots up close and personnel. I'm old school or just old , 70 gr of FFG and a .490 round ball gets the job done if I do my part . Start hunting this weekend . Good luck to all you other Charcoal burners ,Muzzles up and keep your powder dry.
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#2 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

Good luck to you.

#3 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Good luck Hotwire !

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#4 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Thanks guys , I just turned 61 today, and I guess if I don't do the things I want to do I may never get the chance to do them at all so no more procrastinating .rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#5 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

Good luck Hotwire. Wow 61 your getting up there, can you still walk without a cane ?
Too bad muzzy wasnโ€™t a separate license/ tag. That would be awesome to have 1 tag for bow; 1 for muzzy and 1 general season tag!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐ŸŒ๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽฑ๐ŸฆŒ๐Ÿค 

#6 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

A few years ago I had to use a cane , Back injury . L5 & L4 disks degenerated and a herniation on L4 

#7 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Good luck Hotwire!

61 is not that old and I have had similar issues with my back.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

Good Luck Hotwire

You don't have to tell me about this growing old crap

This year I must have lost about 20% of my mobility & ability to do things

It is no fun. Spent two days on a ladder working on the new greenhouse and now today I can hardly walk with the pain in my legs and feet

Doc says something called neuropathy what ever that is

Take care and take it easy

#9 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

Good Luck Hotwire

You don't have to tell me about this growing old crap

This year I must have lost about 20% of my mobility & ability to do things

It is no fun. Spent two days on a ladder working on the new greenhouse and now today I can hardly walk with the pain in my legs and feet

Doc says something called neuropathy what ever that is

Take care and take it easy

I know know what you mean 3macs1, my crappy old knees have slowed me down as it takes way longer to do the things I need to do nowadays.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

Good luck Hotwire , never let that thing called age stop ya from enjoying life's passions , Health will do it just about every time tho , Been there with my back and still am, nerological issues and neoropathy been suffering with for 10 years now and I'm only 50 just Aug past . My out look is this guys , if ya got the time and feel like doing it Get Out and Enjoy yourself , trust me there was a time I thought I was done at age 40 due to a stroke . I'm still going and I've go no plans on stopping either .

It's Hunting season time to enjoy those long cool days in the great outdoors , then again any day is good day to get out and enjoy ones self
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#11 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

A few years ago I had to use a cane , Back injury . L5 & L4 disks degenerated and a herniation on L4

Hope your ok now, Hotwire. Iโ€™m 61 as well ( really) have had some real trouble this year with my back and shoulders. Just wonโ€™t let it stop me although it has slowed me down. My father,R.I.P., always told me โ€œ donโ€™t get old boyโ€ the only problem was he never showed/told me how.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐ŸŒ๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽฑ๐ŸฆŒ๐Ÿค 

#12 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:35 PM

Well I have a lot more aches and pains due to a car accident that everyone told me I never should have survived,a Bad Knee from a high school sports injury that got me booted from boot camp Numerous injuries from working in industry as a maintenance Technician and from working in construction and on farms plus I am one of those lucky individuals that get kidney stones for no apparent reason other than I can, and a heart seizure in 2013 that put me out for almost a half hour,but I have never let it stop me from my passions although it has slowed me down a wee bit the last few years that and my grand kids take up a lot of my free time which I don't mind. I am thinking of taking my 4 yr old grandson hunting with me a few trips as he has gone fishing a bit with me. I have grand daughters who if I was still duck hunting would go in a heart beat and one who will no doubt go with me for a bear hunt.I was asked by my family Dr. to come and remove some bears from his place so I'm getting my barrel ready and also my snare. I'm getting back into trapping this fall after a 5 year lapse.
I'm a walking disaster but I'm better off than a lot of others so no complaints.

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:14 AM

Dang...you guys really lifted my spirits this morning !!
I seem to fit right in here with the rest of you, stool softening, coughing, wheezing, limping, cataract envisioned, band of outdoorsmen !! LMAO

Joe...it's amazing how bad ones knees and joints can get in a relatively short time. Mine seem to be getting worse by the day now and much much faster than a couple years ago !! I had no idea how bad they could / would get !
3 yrs ago, for a summer project, I did some house renos (almost all by myself)...sided the front and eastern end (with porch and power mast) wanted to complete half of it and did, put a new deck on, all new windows and doors, all new facia and soffit...was up and down 3 lifts of staging for two months. NOW GDammit I got trouble doin a flight of stairs !
Doc says I'm TOO young for a set of new knees (which I need badly...almost bone on bone...no cartilage left) they only last 7 or 8 years (IF YOUR LUCKY)...guess that's what happens when you follow in the footsteps of your dad..and move furniture from coast to coast and lobster fish all winter.
No regrets tho, 6 grand kids, amazing family, amazing friends and a billion memories !!!!!
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#14 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Dang...you guys really lifted my spirits this morning !!
I seem to fit right in here with the rest of you, stool softening, coughing, wheezing, limping, cataract envisioned, band of outdoorsmen !! LMAO

Joe...it's amazing how bad ones knees and joints can get in a relatively short time. Mine seem to be getting worse by the day now and much much faster than a couple years ago !! I had no idea how bad they could / would get !
3 yrs ago, for a summer project, I did some house renos (almost all by myself)...sided the front and eastern end (with porch and power mast) wanted to complete half of it and did, put a new deck on, all new windows and doors, all new facia and soffit...was up and down 3 lifts of staging for two months. NOW GDammit I got trouble doin a flight of stairs !
Doc says I'm TOO young for a set of new knees (which I need badly...almost bone on bone...no cartilage left) they only last 7 or 8 years (IF YOUR LUCKY)...guess that's what happens when you follow in the footsteps of your dad..and move furniture from coast to coast and lobster fish all winter.
No regrets tho, 6 grand kids, amazing family, amazing friends and a billion memories !!!!!

Now don't laugh what I say is true. Broke both hands up, broke left collar bone, herniated disks in lower back, two in neck, pin in right hip, knees operated on three times, no miniscus left, bone on bone, hernia, broke right foot, broken nose. I thought the only thing I didn't break was my neck but recently I guess I somehow managed and was misdiagnosed back in early ninties. Lost my left ear in 1990, now my head is stuck in squeal mode for some time.Oh was also anointed in in a bad car accident in 1978 in Cape Breton. You got to keep going, or you will seize up. Just getting in from stumbling through the woods. Were all the same. They say black rum fixes what ails you.

#15 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:26 PM

I almost forgot about my car accident in 84 only thing was went thru the windshield from the outside after being struck by a speeding taxi , hard way to catch a cab lol, still everyone thought I was killed after landing in the passenger seat , beat up , battered , bruised. Broken nose , ribs and what not . We're all a friggin mess that's for sure , the old back is killing me , legs are feeling it from being in the woods but frig it , couple shots of Jack and I'll sleep like a log tonight .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Now don't laugh what I say is true. Broke both hands up, broke left collar bone, herniated disks in lower back, two in neck, pin in right hip, knees operated on three times, no miniscus left, bone on bone, hernia, broke right foot, broken nose. I thought the only thing I didn't break was my neck but recently I guess I somehow managed and was misdiagnosed back in early ninties. Lost my left ear in 1990, now my head is stuck in squeal mode for some time.Oh was also anointed in in a bad car accident in 1978 in Cape Breton. You got to keep going, or you will seize up. Just getting in from stumbling through the woods. Were all the same. They say black rum fixes what ails you.

Man oh man you are lucky to me moving at all

Yes I know about those car accidents the ones they say will never come back to haunt you since you are young

Like you I was tossed out of a windshield in the 70's also in the cape

Only a broken wrist a few ribs and lost the vision in my right eye for over a year from hitting my head

Yes sir was offered $150,000 the week of the accident to settle and got scared and got a lawyer. Three years later they settled at $3800 sad.png

take care

Joe

#17 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

If we put all of our good working parts together we would still only be partly good as we've for the most part worn out the same stuff . Good luck guys and happy hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users