14 replies to this topic

#1 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

Fur harvesting season starts Oct 15 and ends end of March.
Durning this time trapping devices may be set in wildlife habitat.
Thank you
Trappers Association of Nova Scotia.

#2 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:54 AM

Well with all the rain I guess I'll wait for a while before setting any water sets , even land sets are likely to be washed out or mucked up bad.

Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

Well with all the rain I guess I'll wait for a while before setting any water sets , even land sets are likely to be washed out or mucked up bad.

Been lucky so far with my land sets , been packing them in waxed dirt and covering them in same , just light camoflage on top, whats been bad couple sets the bait getting waterlogged, but they are switched out and little more covered up .

As for water , ffs it's high everywhere , was going set few conibears for beaver today and almost went over the chest waders . Buggers got one our trails almost washed out . Guess I'll be doing drowning sets instead next trip out
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:57 AM

I set a 330 on a lean pole for cats at 60 "high . Water was so high caught a beaver in it. Just kidding. Lots of water out there!

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

IMG 2105

12 snares set and 3 had yotes in them.

seems odd that they normally just stay away from my snares and today have 3.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

Nice job , yes this year has been lean for the snares and yotes , but have got them there , I'm finding I have to conceal the snares more than ever to get them in . Keep up the hurt on them

#7 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Skinned them today .

Never seen so much fat on one of them.  Thought I was fleshing a bear . Was 3/4 thick right down the back.

The other two just had the normal thin layer of meat to remove.

Also all were small I thought 2 females 28 and 34lbs  male was 34lbs also.. I have never caught a 28 lb coyote ever I don't think.

#8 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

Skinned them today .
 Never seen so much fat on one of them.  Thought I was fleshing a bear . Was 3/4 thick right down the back.
 The other two just had the normal thin layer of meat to remove.
 Also all were small I thought 2 females 28 and 34lbs  male was 34lbs also.. I have never caught a 28 lb coyote ever I don't think.

I got a 24 lb male first of the season , only a young one , last year I got two just under 20 lbs , I figured they were from a late litter , both were only a day apart and we're only couple hundred yards apart in leg holds , just never know what could be in a set sometimes .

#9 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

You're a lot better trapper then me if you can catch them in foot set. I stopped years ago as all the set were dug up. I only ever caught one fox in a foot trap..

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

You're a lot better trapper then me if you can catch them in foot set. I stopped years ago as all the set were dug up. I only ever caught one fox in a foot trap..

The key to foot sets is I always wear pair of latex gloves under my trap setting gloves , when doing my sets I kneel on a pad to help eliminate scent , traps are only set wearing my trap setting gloves , that way I never contaminate my sets with any scent , traps are kept in scent free box once dyed and waxed. Once set is done , I remove my outer gloves and carefully do my bait and scents , quick spray of fox urine collected directly from all foxes I get , then once I get done baiting and putting out scent and lures , I have bottle of Clorox wipes that I clean the latex gloves off to elimante any contamination on my gear . You will never eliminate every scent but keeping your gear scent free is essential , some sets this year yielded two or three yotes on same trap . Always clean your set area after any dispatch and try to blend it back in as best as possible

Every year my leg holds get cleaned with power washer , re dyed after cleaning then re waxed , then set in scent proof box till time needed. Once season starts I throw in spruce bows with them to control as much odor as possible .
Working on my baits and scents for next year already.

I've had videos on trail cam where your would come directly to the bait hole only days after taking one off that set.
The stinkier the bait and lures helps take thier mind away any lingering human scent or other yote that was in the area

#11 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

I never wore latex gloves and after the second day I would  forget to change the gloves.

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

I never wore latex gloves and after the second day I would  forget to change the gloves.

Went into the Dollar store here in Sydney , they had heavy duty latex gloves 100 count for $4 a box , took all 5 boxes on the shelf , it's cost almost $16-25 for same ones anywhere else , I just swap out new gloves everyday on the trap line or if they get ripped put on fresh set . Been using gloves this way for years , I had traps dug up from that same very reason forgetting to glove up , kicked my arse Everytime cause knew right away I allowed it to happen.

#13 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3469 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:49 AM

People put way too much emphasis on scent control. Some of the best foothold trappers in North America don't wear gloves or do any other form of scent control and use new traps right out of the box.

Much more important is bedding the trap solid and blending the set. It is also important to use a lure that is in conjunction with the part of the annual cycle that a coyote is in when you are trying to catch them. Certain times of the year, certain lures will get a much stronger response.

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

People put way too much emphasis on scent control. Some of the best foothold trappers in North America don't wear gloves or do any other form of scent control and use new traps right out of the box.

Much more important is bedding the trap solid and blending the set. It is also important to use a lure that is in conjunction with the part of the annual cycle that a coyote is in when you are trying to catch them. Certain times of the year, certain lures will get a much stronger response.

You may be on to something there

They say a coyotes nose is so good it is impossible to set a trap without him knowing you were there gloves or not

Cheers

#15 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

I'll agree with Trapping bedding and presentation to a natural presence of the set , I've done my share of experimenting gloved and non gloved as well with scent control , I'm just sharing what works for me, everyone has thier preferences on how to do sets and trap placement , I've tried other's ideas that have not worked in my area but also tried other's ideas that have been successful , I'm just on the side of scent control and keeping odors down

I've even tried setting gear right out of the box and it's never worked and any one I've spoken to down here on the cape said same thing , I just like keeping as much of the % in my favor to my gear being successful with out compromise. It's been several years since I had a pull out or one dug up , guess either lucky or taking side of caution to ensure they work as they are meant to .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users