732 replies to this topic

#721 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:44 AM

I love and really appreciate these threads...the time and effort taken to document along with the pics is a true testament to the love and passion of the outdoors and friendships that's held within the hearts of the posters !

It's tooo bad we had the big crash here on NSH...we lost some spectacular original threads...Pete first plots, Dave's accounts over the years, Owen's stuff...even a few of my moose hunts back in the day...every now and then I'll go back and visit some of the oldest stuff...just looking for pics & stories !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#722 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 23 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

Kevin, you’re so right when it comes to appreciating the outdoors. Even sitting around a small fire in your backyard changes the way people feel and relate to one another. I don’t know what it is, but the outdoors has a calming effect on people and seems to satisfy a basic human need. There’s no substitute for it.

I never responded to Louisbear’s comments about getting out of your tent and seeing the ground covered in a fresh blanket of snow. I’ve been there and like you say Louisbear, there’s something magical about it, it’s like suddenly being transported to another world. No feeling like it. Especially after waking up from a good WARM sleep in your down filled sleeping bag.

Thanks for reminding me Louisbear...sure brings back good memories...

After Dale’s meat was iced up my work day became a lot easier. Dale was still chasing the woods calling for the other two crews but Heather and Robert stuck around and were a great help in the galley. On Wednesday evening Robert prepared a large jambalaya from scratch. I wish I had taken photos of the preparation...

IusDI29.jpg

It took him several hours and he prepared it in the most authentic way possible. He had Andouille Sausage, Chicken, Shrimp and he added lobster meat to it. I couldn’t believe it when I saw him start by frying the dry uncooked rice ( I know nothing about preparing Jambalaya). The broth and other ingredients were added in sequence and step by step the dish evolved. It was without a doubt the most complex and flavorful dish any of us had ever experienced on Hunters’ Mountain. Eric ( 2nd season licensee) would give him a run for his money with his preparation over the week-end which was equally good.

Robert had to split his Jambalaya in two because some were allergic to lobster so he did one tray with no lobster.

KB2VNzD.jpg

Thursday morning I woke up early only to see Robert and Heather in the Galley going full hilt with the breakfast preparation. They ordered me to stay in my bunk. Man, it felt good to turn around and just dozed off again. When I woke up several hours after, all the crews were gone and my Galley was spotless. Everything had been washed, sorted out and neatly aligned. What a relief..!!

Mid week we received a few visits from other teams roaming the roads...

XUnDhof.jpg

None of them had had any luck.

6Vpo7A7.jpg

A couple of unexpected visitors ended up being very special guests...hadn’t seen them since the 2011 hunt...

Don ( “THE” Don of the Bog that bears his name and his son Philip):

PHOTO FROM 2011

H4Vv7Z1.jpg

I couldn’t believe it when I heard Don’s voice outside the tent asking for me. Don was a neighbor of Pete who had been with us since the beginning and would often accompany Pete on his trips to Hunters’ Mountain.

Philip ( Don’s son) is a good singer and musician. He joined the choral group on their first night with us.

W270jvr.jpg

They stayed until the week-end and were a great help in the Galley and outside. Philip and him helped set up our dining tables outside over the week-end when the weather took a turn for the better.

JXlLnie.jpg

Dale couldn’t believe it when I announced that Don was here. He had never met him but was very familiar with ‘His’ Bog. So we had to a take a photo...

MTqdoGf.jpg

The only person missing from our old group was Pete...so Don and I took this picture.

9hvXEXy.jpg

That evening Don had a chance to relive some of our old adventures...Allain is looking on...

nurQ5iV.jpg

SO MANY GREAT OLD MEMORIES...!! And by the looks of things we're not done yet... 

#723 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

an almost soothing read this am....LOL

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#724 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • Location(Prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

I love this thread!  Thanks again for sharing it all!  :-)

#725 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:31 PM

The end of season 1 was a busy week-end. The season 2 team arrived and started setting up their tents as the season 1 teams were making their preparation to leave.

y58YHHt.jpg

Early that week-end there was an overlap period when all the teams of both seasons were present. Great time in the cabin tent...but COOL..!

n97PGV7.jpg

It’s always a big let down when you have to empty a gray bin of ice...It really sinks in that one hunt was not as successful as you would have wanted and there's nothing more that you can do about it...

JpvdyYT.jpg

Helen and Mike loading up to leave...

XxOya5J.jpg

Christien all packed and ready to go...

6sPAmIa.jpg

Dale, Dave, and Heather only left on Sunday...

5NN52OJ.jpg

That’s the advantage of wrapping and isolating each piece of meat in the ice. There’s no rush to head home. Five days in the bin just does the meat good...it stays dry, ice cold, and is just aging.

We already had a good supply of liquor but Eric’s team had brought plenty to restock our bar just in case...

iqaJHMP.jpg

I'm not sure if our mascot took a liking to Eric...or what he's holding...he does look little cross eyed...

NjpzBPb.jpg

No one cared what you drank or how much...it was a communal bar and no one complained. Great time in the cabin tent for the season 2 team on their first night at Tent Town...Can you tell ???!!

eqJm8hm.jpg

Things would only get better. I got the surprise of my life the following day. I still can’t believe it .!!

#726 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

David...small world ...AGAIN...lol

I shoot sporting clays with the guy on the left in the first of the latest pics(cabelas sweater) He also bought a shotgun reloader and some supplies from me a couple yrs ago too, he usually squads up with Gary Melanson and Gary's son. 

I really miss seeing the guys this season...GD covid screwed up a whole lot of stuff !!

#727 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:48 PM

WcTS83U.jpg

Kevin, that’s Wayne P. He’s a nephew to Eric ( the licensee). He was a big help when it came to skinning Eric’s moose. He was a bit hesitant at the start because he had never worked on a moose before but man did he ever do a good job once he got going. He had a razor sharp knife and knew how to use it.

The 2019 hunt was unlike any that we ever had before. So many things were different.

This would be the first time that we would have to set up for the two seasons and our base camp would need to be relocated to a site 3 miles away from our usual site and our cache.

Lf4T2wz.jpg

Luckily, our cache was still accessible on the week-end when the logging operations would stop. There was a lot of last minute changes that needed to be done but we were very fortunate that none of our hunting sites were blocked or influenced by the logging. So once we got set up it was hunting as usual. Also, we had the most licensees of any year since we started in 1994 which meant that the teams would have to cover a lot more ground than usual. All in all we didn’t do too badly.

Everyone that experiences Tent Town wants to come again. Most only get a chance to come once. But there are a few that were lucky. Dale is one of them. First it was his uncle...then his best friend...then his wife. Some people are just lucky. And he’s luckier than most because the team has decided to accept him as part of the support team as a volunteer. He’s not the first.

Rejean was a companion on James’ team in 2018.

He came on our Summer trip last year with his son and daughter...

9wPoIUp.jpg

JAMES AND DONNIE

D10DRwc.jpg

James’ team ended up not filling their tag but Rejean really hit it off well with our team and enjoyed the hunt to no end.

He was very serious about joining us and helping on future hunts. He understood that we had a full team but that didn’t matter to him. He offered to come on all future trips to the Highlands at his own expense as a volunteer and help in any way that he could without remuneration of any type including portions of moose meat. It was an offer that we couldn’t refuse. Rejean is a workhorse. Since that offer he’s accompanied us on all of our Summer and hunting trips and has worked harder than most of our team members.

Heather and Dale joined us on our Summer trip this year and Dale approached us with the same proposition. It didn’t take us long to accept him under the same conditions that we have with Rejean. Dale harvesting Heather’s moose wasn’t a fluke. He was well prepared. He had practiced his call and had the experience of having been on two previous hunts with us. Calling in and taking that moose completely on his own demonstrated how devoted a moose hunter he has become. He'll be a big asset to the team.

This Spring he decided to strip the bark off a few of the birches on his woodlot...He ended up with this:

ef2HLXV.jpg

I think we’ll be all set for callers for a while...LOL

With the exception of Christien, we’re all in our 60’s and 70’s. So it won’t be that many years before Rejean and Dale will be bonafide members of the team because we’ll all be gone. In the mean time we’ve got two very able and willing helpers that will contribute in any way they can and we just have to feed them.

And Lord knows preparing enough food has never been a problem for us... LOL

Yh4mdK3.jpg

The arrival of another unexpected guest was the icing on the cake for our 2019 hunt. I never in my wildest dream would have expected this. I was in the galley tent with the rest of the crew when I heard a vehicle drive up. I didn’t pay too much attention to it.

Several minutes after, who walks in but Peter Fenn.

What a surprise...!! He had taken time off from his job in Edmonton, flown to Halifax and rented a 4 wheel drive jeep to join us on Hunters’ Mountain. He had colluded with Don and the rest of our crew. I was the only one that didn’t know he was coming.

We had to change the sign to: “GLAD” You were here...

OjJfrAt.jpg

Pete would play a pivotal role in Eric’s hunt...

This is him with Don in 2009...

v45KsnL.jpg

This photo holds a special significance to our 2019 hunt which I'll explain later...

Man, it felt like the old days having both of them back with us.

Eric has a brother in law that is an executive chef. Eric often works with him when he’s in the area and has become a very good cook in his own right. He promised to give me a break by preparing two main meals over the week-end. I photo documented his work. It was nothing short of a “Piece de Resistance”. His first meal would be a relatively simple meal but his second preparation was nothing short of outstanding.

Friday night, no one felt like cooking so I took out some frozen chili and reheated it in the chafing dish...

sYnDCJW.jpg

Heather and Robert along with Don and Philip had made sure that all the dishes and pots and pans were clean and stacked.

yCsXxHK.jpg

While they were doing this I had a chance to arranged all the dry goods, can stuff, veggies and desserts in an orderly way, as well as clear a work area for Eric. The Galley would be ready for him to take over for the week-end...and he sure did in no small way.

#728 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1753 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:57 AM

Awesome Sunday reading David G.................>Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#729 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1071 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

At some point I'll be finishing this account of our 2019 hunt. And, hopefully, recount our 2020 hunt before this Summer. 

Some of you may have heard of the double drowning in Digby County yesterday. Regrettably, one of the two was Eric's companion Alex seen here to Eric's right.  

eqJm8hm.jpg

Just 56 years old...!!! So sad for his family... We often blame lack of wearing a life jacket for this type of tragedy but that wasn't the case here. The cold water likely had more to do with it than anything else. Just a freak accident...

This is the report...

DIGBY COUNTY, N.S. - Two men are dead after a boat tipped over on Second Lake near Sissiboo Grand Lake in Digby County on Friday evening.

Just before 7 p.m. on Saturday, police received a report of a boating accident, Digby RCMP said in an April 3 release.

When emergency crews arrived in the remote area, it was reported that three men had been fishing in a 12-foot aluminum boat that experienced motor problems.

Police said the boat overturned when the men tried to fix the issue, causing the occupants to fall in the water.

One man swam to shore and walked until he received cell phone service and called emergency services.

Before 10 p.m. Fire Rescuers located 56-year-old man and a 49-year-old man from Digby County in the water.

The men, both wearing life-jackets, were pronounced dead at the scene.

RCMP are continuing to investigate, including for the cause of death.

Police said they do not suspect criminality.

#730 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:16 AM

sad to hear, DavidG - condolenses to family & friends.

#731 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12682 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:12 AM

Yes real sad indeed. My condolences also David

We just don't know what is facing any of us so should try our best to live every day we get to the fullest

Was thinking about you last week David as I opened this last batch of corn beef made to the recipe you we kind enough to provide here some time ago

It gets better every batch I make I think and even have the mrs eating it now which is not something I ever thought would happen

Thanks again

#732 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6060 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:25 AM

Very sad for sure
Condolences to the families.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#733 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9514 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

So sad indeed...even more so now that we kinda know the gentleman thru your stories, pics and posts. 

Dave..please send my deepest condolences to the families !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users