#1 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

So the Deer season is over and I am interested in all In -Line Muzzle loader's opinion. After using your muzzle loader for the season is it a keeper or would you recommend another brand. What do you find to be the best barrel length and weight for a muzzle loader. What about Calibre? Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thank you

#2 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

There is a brand new Thompson Center Impact for sale in the classified for $300....good buy on it

Just my .02 cents, no charge......

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

I have a TC encore in 50cal
My go to load is 2 pellets of triple 7, a 240gr soft cast sec 44cal in a sabot and a chedite primer. This gives me a. 75 group 1inch high at 75m
I took my deer this year and it dropped in its tracks, boiler room shot through the heart
My friend has the same one and is using the following recipe
80gr loose bh209
250gr cast 45cal lead in a sabot sleeve
Win prime
He is getting cloverleaf dead on at 75m
can i go hunting yet??

#4 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

I've been really looking at the Remington 700 ml. Nothing but good reviews I found. Worth taking a look. I'll be getting one befor next season

#5 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

I have a traditions. Only ever shot one deer with it. If the animal didn’t drop in its tracks I would have had trouble finding it I think. The cloud of smoke allows zero visibility after the shot. So I went back to my bow. May have to go to a muzzy or crossbow next year due to shoulder problem tho. That will suck !
Now I was still hunting but SS above can tell you what it’s like shooting from a pop up blind.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#6 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

I have a Thompson Centre Impact 50 cal - 26" barrel, scoped with talley 1 pc mount. Hunting load is 300 gr sabot with 110 volumetric BH209. No deer with it yet.

One of my sons has same ML with open sights, hunt load same - he's bagged 2 deer with it - not much trailing required.

Got the impact cause of good rep & low cost - didn't want to spend a whole bunch just getting into it.

We like the BH209 - oil based cleaning and at the range can fire 4 or 5 shots before cleaning.

Impact is a nice gun to carry - the hammer is small though so a bit of getting used to re finding it under the scope.

We are both fairly new to ML stuff - found this link that has great info.

https://www.namlhunt.com/index.html

#7 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

I also have the Thompson Center Impact with the Stainless barrel. I use a 250 gr bullet and 90gr of BH209. It is as accurate as my rifle out to a 100yds, haven't tried it any farther.

Can't beat for the price.

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#8 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

I have a Thompson center pro hunter F.X. I really like the break open action. Breech plug is very easy to remove with just your fingers. My go to.... 250 gr bullet.... 100 gr of BH209. Extremely accurate and consistent at 100 yards

#9 Sir William

Sir William

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationWestville, Pictou County

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

I have two CVA one wolf and one Optima both shot great. Optima I shot 100gr Volume BH209 and a 300gr XTP Hollow point in a Harvest crush sabot. The wolf 95 gr volume BH209 and a 240gr XTP in a Harvest crush sabot. The 300gr XTP piles through the deer.

#10 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9153 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:49 AM

Were also seriously considering getting one. The one we looked at was one Bass Pro had on sale... CVA Optima stainless...on for 359...scope included. Nice gun...great reviews, but I had to do some more prodding just to satisify the buy once cry once demon in me...lol

Did a lot more looking and checking around...think were settled on the CVA Accura...nitride coated S/S barrel and receiver...few dollars more but from the reviews and talking with several different shop owners, some locally too, think that's going to be our choice....and after even MORE reading and lookin around, decided I'm going with BH 209 also !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#11 harv

harv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:01 AM

I use a CVA Optima V2 stainless ,have had it for a number of years now have had NO issues with it , very accurate with 300 gr powerbelt bullets and 100gr of BH209, harvested three pretty good size deer with it so

far , i would recommend it 100 %

#12 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:10 AM

This is an awesome ML and is what I have.   Bergara barrel, Nitride, and Quick release Breech plug .   I got mine as a package that included a 3x9 Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. Nice setup.   >Pete

Accura-MR-logo-with-nitride-logo.png

The ACCURA MR (Mountain Rifle) with its lightweight design (6.35 pounds) and shorter, more compact 25” barrel, is designed to be easier to carry and more maneuverable than our standard muzzleloaders – with a fit and ease of target acquisition that is reminiscent of a custom-made rifle. And the ACCURA MR sports all the features that have made CVA’s ACCURA V2 famous – a custom quality Bergara® Barrel, Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP), Trigger Guard Actuated Breeching Action, Neutral Center of Gravity Trigger, matching Quake® Claw® Sling, premium SoftTouch stock with rubber grip panels, DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ one-piece scope mount and PalmSaver™ Ramrod. The ACCURA MR comes standard with our Nitride treated stainless steel Bergara® barrel with either a Realtree® MAX-1™ or solid black composite stock.

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#13 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

This is an awesome ML and is what I have.   Bergara barrel, Nitride, and Quick release Breech plug .   I got mine as a package that included a 3x9 Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. Nice setup.   >Pete

Accura-MR-logo-with-nitride-logo.png

The ACCURA MR (Mountain Rifle) with its lightweight design (6.35 pounds) and shorter, more compact 25” barrel, is designed to be easier to carry and more maneuverable than our standard muzzleloaders – with a fit and ease of target acquisition that is reminiscent of a custom-made rifle. And the ACCURA MR sports all the features that have made CVA’s ACCURA V2 famous – a custom quality Bergara® Barrel, Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP), Trigger Guard Actuated Breeching Action, Neutral Center of Gravity Trigger, matching Quake® Claw® Sling, premium SoftTouch stock with rubber grip panels, DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ one-piece scope mount and PalmSaver™ Ramrod. The ACCURA MR comes standard with our Nitride treated stainless steel Bergara® barrel with either a Realtree® MAX-1™ or solid black composite stock.

Pete, I like the barrel length and weight of this firearm. I checked it out on Cabelas.ca and it stated, "No  Longer Available." Can you buy the Mountain Rifle locally?

".

#14 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

Were also seriously considering getting one. The one we looked at was one Bass Pro had on sale... CVA Optima stainless...on for 359...scope included. Nice gun...great reviews, but I had to do some more prodding just to satisify the buy once cry once demon in me...lol

Did a lot more looking and checking around...think were settled on the CVA Accura...nitride coated S/S barrel and receiver...few dollars more but from the reviews and talking with several different shop owners, some locally too, think that's going to be our choice....and after even MORE reading and lookin around, decided I'm going with BH 209 also !!

I have (and my hunting buddy) the CVA Accura - nitrate coated, SS barrel, quick release plug, etc - same setup as Pete described. I started with a Wolf but would highly recommend the nitrate coated/SS barrel for this climate. A little more expensive but a rifle for life.  I also use BH209 and run 80 gr. volume down the barrel.  I went from 90- to 80gr. and at 50-60 yards it's perfect for me. 

hassaracker on this site opened my eyes to this rifle a few years ago and after some research purchased this rifle from Young Guns. Also  believe beaverbank270 recently bought one.  beaverbank270 has a lot of experience/knowledge using various ML ammo (brands, etc.).

Kevin -  If you decide to purchase one or need more info on ML's, ammo, etc. we have a ML Facebook group which could be helpful.   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#15 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

Pete, I like the barrel length and weight of this firearm. I checked it out on Cabelas.ca and it stated, "No  Longer Available." Can you buy the Mountain Rifle locally?

".

I bought mine at Young Guns and as far as I know he still sells the CVA lines of ML's.  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#16 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

I bought mine at Young Guns and as far as I know he still sells the CVA lines of ML's.  

Thanks magoo1. I will check them out!

#17 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

I had talked with Bob at Young Guns and planned to buy it there as he will always do better than anywhere else. However, I then found out  my family had already bought me one as a gift. Otherwise , I would have bought from Bob.       >Pete

Idzrro2.jpg

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#18 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

I shoot a TC Triumph Bone Collector with 110 gr (Volume) of BH209, CCI 209M primer, a 250 gr Barnes Spit-Fire projectile with the black harvester crush rib sabot. This combo works/shoots extremely well for me.

The CVA's are nice guns as well.  Keep in mind that some of them require a special breech plug if you are planning on using Blackhorn 209 powder.

#19 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

Hey Kevin ! You won't go wrong on the Accura MR ! I actually ended up buying three of these CVA muzzleloaders from Bob at Young Guns. Spent a lot of time trying different bullets and sabots....all I've tried for propellants is Blackhorn 209.All three of these rifles shoot right around MOA at 100 yds. The MR is awesome! I've got the Optima V2, the Accura MR, and the Optima V2 LR (28" barrel).If you would like to get out and shoot these before buying, let me know.Also, if you decide to buy one, I've got lots of different bullets and sabots for you to try.Pretty much anything I've shot out of these things is pretty accurate. If there is anything you think I might be able to help with or you want to borrow anything shoot me a message. P.S...You have been to my place before...you dropped a hunting package off for my son who won this down at Chester....you drove all the ways to Beaverbank to deliver...thanks again.Buy the muzzleloader from Young Guns. ..great price, great service, and lots of accessories.

#20 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

I bought a CVA optima stainless in the thumbhole stock a few years ago and i really like hunting with it .Took a decent 6pt with it a couple years ago .Been using a hornady 300gr over 2 white hot pellets and it seems to work good (might have to try the blackhorn 209 next year ,just to see what it's like )

DSCF5892

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users