#21 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1750 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

I shoot a TC Triumph Bone Collector with 110 gr (Volume) of BH209, CCI 209M primer, a 250 gr Barnes Spit-Fire projectile with the black harvester crush rib sabot. This combo works/shoots extremely well for me.

The CVA's are nice guns as well.  Keep in mind that some of them require a special breech plug if you are planning on using Blackhorn 209 powder.

You are correct that the special breech plug (approx. $25) is needed if you use the CCI 209 Primers when using BH209 powder   .......... but .... if you use the Federal 209A Primers the regular breech plug which comes with the ML works great with BH209 powder.   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#22 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9143 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:20 AM

Hey Kevin ! You won't go wrong on the Accura MR ! I actually ended up buying three of these CVA muzzleloaders from Bob at Young Guns. Spent a lot of time trying different bullets and sabots....all I've tried for propellants is Blackhorn 209.All three of these rifles shoot right around MOA at 100 yds. The MR is awesome! I've got the Optima V2, the Accura MR, and the Optima V2 LR (28" barrel).If you would like to get out and shoot these before buying, let me know.Also, if you decide to buy one, I've got lots of different bullets and sabots for you to try.Pretty much anything I've shot out of these things is pretty accurate. If there is anything you think I might be able to help with or you want to borrow anything shoot me a message. P.S...You have been to my place before...you dropped a hunting package off for my son who won this down at Chester....you drove all the ways to Beaverbank to deliver...thanks again.Buy the muzzleloader from Young Guns. ..great price, great service, and lots of accessories.

BeaverBank...hope all's well with you and your family bud, MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
It was my pleasure to get that stuff out to your son. It's even more refreshing, actually...almost humbling when I see parents teaching and mentoring their kids about the outdoors, whether it be camping, hunting, and or the shooting sports now a days !
I tried to instill that in all mine, 2 said yes...1 said no, but she'll still eat a whole deer ...lmao!!

Bob was the first local shop I was talking too, and after talking with the rest...and the BEST of the lot as well !!!! Had the best price to make it even sweeter !!
I saw his kids come thru the HWWA Hunters Ed course a few years back...think they'd out shoot the old man now...LOL

I shot Rembolt's ML a few years back at our club...couldn't get over the smoke ball and smell....lmao
Friggen Rembolt...he always gets me to "try" his new toys out...THEN, I wind up getting the urge to own one...the Citori's..wub.png.the Maxus..wub.png...still lookin for that right CZ 22 too  wub.png....lol

Gary...Pete....Pretty sure we're gonna pull the trigger on a new ML this coming Jan...the Nitride coated / Bergara bbl Accura should be in the stable in the new year !  smile.pngsmile.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#23 2547-removed

2547-removed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

I have had an Accura MR for quite a long time now, my only complaint is that the green finish is flaking off the end of the barrel.    Newer models have a better finish I have read.  There is a cheapie Bushnell 3200 4-7x scope on it.  I use 70 grains of Blackhorn 209 (100 grain equivalent) with 250 grain Hornady XTP .452 bullets in sabots (product # 45200 ).   I have the 209 breech plug and use  CCI shotgun primers.    100 of these bullets cost me 23 dollars 100 sabots were 8 bucks.  I can hit a pop can every time at 100 yards with this load.  My wife shot a spikehorn this season at 143 yards, the longest shot by far this gun has made.  The bullet went in one shoulder and exited out the other side killing the deer instantly, causing a ton of damage.  Every deer we have hit with it has gone down like a ton of bricks.  In my opinion, with this load, this rifle is similar to a single shot 45/70.  I have permission to hunt on a farmer's pasture in the special deer area in the South Shore and we get at least one M/L deer there every year for the last decade.  I cannot understand why people use those very expensive bullets that come in packs of 5 or 6 for the same price of a 100 pack of pistol bullets that do the same job.

#24 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

I have had an Accura MR for quite a long time now, my only complaint is that the green finish is flaking off the end of the barrel.    Newer models have a better finish I have read.  There is a cheapie Bushnell 3200 4-7x scope on it.  I use 70 grains of Blackhorn 209 (100 grain equivalent) with 250 grain Hornady XTP .452 bullets in sabots (product # 45200 ).   I have the 209 breech plug and use  CCI shotgun primers.    100 of these bullets cost me 23 dollars 100 sabots were 8 bucks.  I can hit a pop can every time at 100 yards with this load.  My wife shot a spikehorn this season at 143 yards, the longest shot by far this gun has made.  The bullet went in one shoulder and exited out the other side killing the deer instantly, causing a ton of damage.  Every deer we have hit with it has gone down like a ton of bricks.  In my opinion, with this load, this rifle is similar to a single shot 45/70.  I have permission to hunt on a farmer's pasture in the special deer area in the South Shore and we get at least one M/L deer there every year for the last decade.  I cannot understand why people use those very expensive bullets that come in packs of 5 or 6 for the same price of a 100 pack of pistol bullets that do the same job.acker

hassaracker,  by 209 breech plug are you talking the one you have to by extra to burn loose powder instead of the pellets?( Like the triple 7 pellets) As you can tell I know bugger about muzzle loaders!

#25 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

hassaracker,  by 209 breech plug are you talking the one you have to by extra to burn loose powder instead of the pellets?( Like the triple 7 pellets) As you can tell I know bugger about muzzle loaders!

I'll try to answer this louisbear...hopefully simple and easy to understand.

Black powders (pellet or loose) like T7, Pyrodex and Goex do not require a "Hot" spark for ignition, therefore pretty much any breech plug design will give you dependable ignition with any primer on the market.

Blackhorn 209 does require a "Hot" spark for ignition and therefore some manufacturers have had to redesign the breech plugs in their guns to better accommodate this hot spark and gas which will give you dependable ignition. The top 3 hot primers for Blackhorn powder are: Fed 209A, CCI 209M and the Win 209.

#26 2547-removed

2547-removed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Yes, there is a special 209 breech plug I got for 15 bucks on eBay years ago.  It has a larger spark hole to let more spark through.  Although I have used mine with both primer types, I always play it safe and stick to the hotter CCI shotgun primers now.  At the end of the season or after I have finished cleaning and oiling the barrel, I always fire a primer down the barrel to blow out any oil or solvent that may contact and affect the next load of powder I put in.  There is no corrosive residue left from modern primers at all.  I used to mess with lots of the older black powders, both loose and pellets, Blackhorn 209 is a real game changer in my opinion.  Simple to clean and  totally non corrosive.

#27 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Guys for the info. Sounds like the Blackhorn 209 is the way to go! Muzzle loaders sound like a lot of fun. I will have to check out the CVA Accura MR.

#28 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

Thanks Guys for the info. Sounds like the Blackhorn 209 is the way to go! Muzzle loaders sound like a lot of fun. I will have to check out the CVA Accura MR.

Louisbear, it depends on how you intend to use a ML. I got mine with the intention of only using it as a short range weapon. I usually don't take long shots even if I had a big buck in my plots. I hunt mostly in the woods(whether stand or still hunting) where I only need a range of 50-60 yds. I wanted something with a little more range than my bow (20-25yds) and this fit the bill perfectly. Therefore I just use Powerbelt 245gr with 2 White Hot pellets, and 209 Inline Primers. I sight in at 50 yds with great groupings.       >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#29 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Louisbear, it depends on how you intend to use a ML. I got mine with the intention of only using it as a short range weapon. I usually don't take long shots even if I had a big buck in my plots. I hunt mostly in the woods(whether stand or still hunting) where I only need a range of 50-60 yds. I wanted something with a little more range than my bow (20-25yds) and this fit the bill perfectly. Therefore I just use Powerbelt 245gr with 2 White Hot pellets, and 209 Inline Primers. I sight in at 50 yds with great groupings.       >Pete

Pete. I think I would zero at 100 yards. At this point I just go for walks through various types of terrain. I do do hunt from a blind or tree stand so the distance I may want to shoot will change several times during a hunt. Would your recipe still work?

#30 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Pete. I think I would zero at 100 yards. At this point I just go for walks through various types of terrain. I do do hunt from a blind or tree stand so the distance I may want to shoot will change several times during a hunt. Would your recipe still work?

I'm not sure if it would work. I think you would have to do some shooting to see if you get consistency. I think most people that shoot 100yds plus like the Blackhorn 209 powder which I have never tried. As I said, I wanted it as a short range weapon and wanted to keep it simple, so that recipe works great for me.     >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#31 2547-removed

2547-removed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:36 PM

I sighted mine in 2 inches high at 100 yards.  By 150 yards out it is already 6 or 7 inches low.  It drops like a rock, but will still blow clean through a deer.  The 250 grain XTP bullets I use are intended for reloading in handgun cartridges and designed to expand even at low velocity, that's why I think they do so well on deer.  Some of the other bullets are a lot more streamlined and would probably carry better than these beer-can shaped XTPs.  Personally, I would not attempt a shot past 150 yards and we set up accordingly.  Most of our shots are 80-90 yards and we don't think about bullet drop.  This year, my wife shot hers at 143 yards and she aimed right at the top of the deer's back, by the time the bullet got there it was pretty well in the center of it's chest.  Took out both lungs and all the stuff right above its heart.  Recoil is similar to a 30-06 bolt action and the Limbsaver recoil pad I put on makes a big difference when my wife shoots it so she does not flinch.  We always take a trip to the range at the start of the season.

#32 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1750 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

I'm not sure if it would work. I think you would have to do some shooting to see if you get consistency. I think most people that shoot 100yds plus like the Blackhorn 209 powder which I have never tried. As I said, I wanted it as a short range weapon and wanted to keep it simple, so that recipe works great for me.     >Pete

louisbear -  Lots to consider when using a muzzy. We also sight ours in at 50-60 yds. as that's the distance we're set up at.  I use BH209 and my buddy uses white hots and the accuracy is the same.  If you're mainly hunting at 100 yds. then sight it in at that distance because depending on whether you're using BH209, white hots, triple 7, 250, 295, 300 grain bullets, etc. there can be a noticeable difference in shot placement. 

When you find the type of powder,  bullet grain, etc. that you like then stay consistent with them.  .......and you can never ask too many questions when it comes to muzzy's and ammo.  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#33 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

I have (and my hunting buddy) the CVA Accura - nitrate coated, SS barrel, quick release plug, etc - same setup as Pete described. I started with a Wolf but would highly recommend the nitrate coated/SS barrel for this climate. A little more expensive but a rifle for life.  I also use BH209 and run 80 gr. volume down the barrel.  I went from 90- to 80gr. and at 50-60 yards it's perfect for me. 

hassaracker on this site opened my eyes to this rifle a few years ago and after some research purchased this rifle from Young Guns. Also  believe beaverbank270 recently bought one.  beaverbank270 has a lot of experience/knowledge using various ML ammo (brands, etc.).

Kevin -  If you decide to purchase one or need more info on ML's, ammo, etc. we have a ML Facebook group which could be helpful.   

What's the name of the facebook page magoo1

Just my .02 cents, no charge......

#34 beaverbank270

beaverbank270

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hey Coyotecaper! The Facebook page is called Nova Scotia Muzzleloader Hunting.It would be nice to get a number of members. ..trading ideas, loads, thoughts and opinions on different gear...anything muzzleloading in general! Join up!

#35 Camocam92

Camocam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUpper Sackville

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

I got a CVA Wolf, got it because it was a great deal, not because I planed on hunting with it much. Got it for 100$, little cosmetic issue the guy who owned it previously got bore cleaner on the outside of the barrel and stripped off some bluing. But it doesn’t affect the function what so ever. Plan on doing some messing around with different loads this offseason when I’m not on the boat and upgrading the scope. Beaverbank270 actually recommended what bullets to fire out of it and I couldn’t believe the accuracy with it. But using WhieHots over loose powder you have to clean after every second or third shot or the accuracy really drops off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users