#21 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

Do you not send your Coyotes to auction? The last couple years they've been in demand and prices have gone up quite a bit. I had 7 in the last auction that averaged 119.00, and one of them was hit by a car, it only went for 30.00, so brought my avg down quite a bit. $150 is definitely not uncommon right now.

I agree but thought the high was like 150 and the average was like 75 

I really don't follow it any more but just listening to the guys I know that trap and like to complain :)

Cheers

#22 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Don't forget you need a freezer to keep the animal in unless it's hot shoted to the taxidermist. It's all extra expense

#23 dbg2

dbg2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

I really don't follow it any more but just listening to the guys I know that trap and like to complain smile.png

Cheers

You are probably right, but if you get a few good ones the average goes up pretty quick.

#24 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

You are probably right, but if you get a few good ones the average goes up pretty quick.

I still believe there should be a nice bounty on them to make it worth while for the trappers but I cannot see that happening again anytime soon and not 25 bucks this time or whatever it was

Cheers

#25 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

Don't forget you need a freezer to keep the animal in unless it's hot shoted to the taxidermist. It's all extra expense

Been quite a few years since I trapped but when I did having lots of old freezers to plug in was just part of the game

LOL don't trap now but still have four running. One full to the top with pretty much nothing but yellow beans in it for mama 

Cheers

#26 dbg2

dbg2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

I really don't follow it any more but just listening to the guys I know that trap and like to complain smile.png

Cheers

Just took a look, I had top lot Coyotes in 2017 and 18. 167.00 in 2017 and 156.00 in one of the sales in 2018.... I hope the market stays up for them, they are getting targeted pretty hard around here, helps the deer quite a bit in my opinion. On average they say one Coyote eats 3.65 deer a year, approximately one every 100 days. I'm no biologist but these numbers wouldn't surprise me...what do you think?  If there are 10,000 Coyotes in the province they are taking a lot of deer!!

#27 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

That or we get together and take a truck load over the causeway

Be worth it for those prices smile.png

Most my bud gets as a taxidermist are shot and free

Cheers 

Now I like this one a nutz member in Ontario got last saturday sweet

vuIOArk.jpg

These red yote don't fetch very much at sale.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#28 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

These red yote don't fetch very much at sale.

But they make a beautiful wall hanger or floor rug smile.png

same dog

7juDGpL.jpg

#29 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

I'm selling beaver castor $8 oz to local bear hunting market .

#30 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:45 AM

Just took a look, I had top lot Coyotes in 2017 and 18. 167.00 in 2017 and 156.00 in one of the sales in 2018.... I hope the market stays up for them, they are getting targeted pretty hard around here, helps the deer quite a bit in my opinion. On average they say one Coyote eats 3.65 deer a year, approximately one every 100 days. I'm no biologist but these numbers wouldn't surprise me...what do you think?  If there are 10,000 Coyotes in the province they are taking a lot of deer!!

Bang on dbg !!!

Not very many times I see yote scat and there's NOT deer hair in it !! Doesn't matter where either...around home here, Upper mukky dobbit or Stew-Stew ack !
Number of years back, we were doing some rabbit snaring in late January. Probably a foot of snow down for a couple weeks or so.

On one particular morning we found what was left of a big doe. (not very much BTW ) 90 % eaten in one night !! Wasn't there the day before.
We went back wards from the feeding / kill site to the initial attack...prolly about 3 hundred yards or so, easy to follow in the snow ! No problem to see the unbelievable struggle to survive from the get go for that poor doe !!

Blood almost right away from the start...mannn...what the snow revealed was astounding. Don't know how many times they had her down, but it was a lot !!
Hundred yards in the blood was three times as much...maybe a neck of rear end artery was punctured. From then on it was like spilled red paint in the snow.
After seeing this, it was in fact the start of our coyote hunting !! This was between 3 of our tree stands so helping the deer out was an easy decision for us.
Right away new 243's bipods, callers, camo, finding bait...lol   I got 2 that winter, while Glen got 7 IIRC !!  He's had a few good years at it since too ! I believe he still goes every winter for a bit.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#31 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:50 PM

You can ship your shot coyote with your habitat stamp to market . You can learn how to skin , flesh , sew , dry your pelt at the up coming trappers workshop Feb 28 at the krntville legion .

#32 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:46 PM

Do you not send your Coyotes to auction? The last couple years they've been in demand and prices have gone up quite a bit. I had 7 in the last auction that averaged 119.00, and one of them was hit by a car, it only went for 30.00, so brought my avg down quite a bit. $150 is definitely not uncommon right now.

Send them every year to auction , I've got one here this year that's got a almost pure black stripe down his entire back then fades out on the tale to half way of pure black , dark grey face with tuft of fur above the eyes about 1 1/2 long by 1 wide , I'll be keeping this one . There's more than several all done , dried , boarded and ready for this year as long as prices stay up away they go just took in 4 more today . Got two nice cats that are almost ready with very nice color and dark spots , guess it's just roll of the dice , either way every yote down is one less deer killer
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#33 dbg2

dbg2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:38 AM

Bang on dbg !!!

Not very many times I see yote scat and there's NOT deer hair in it !! Doesn't matter where either...around home here, Upper mukky dobbit or Stew-Stew ack !
Number of years back, we were doing some rabbit snaring in late January. Probably a foot of snow down for a couple weeks or so.

On one particular morning we found what was left of a big doe. (not very much BTW ) 90 % eaten in one night !! Wasn't there the day before.
We went back wards from the feeding / kill site to the initial attack...prolly about 3 hundred yards or so, easy to follow in the snow ! No problem to see the unbelievable struggle to survive from the get go for that poor doe !!

Blood almost right away from the start...mannn...what the snow revealed was astounding. Don't know how many times they had her down, but it was a lot !!
Hundred yards in the blood was three times as much...maybe a neck of rear end artery was punctured. From then on it was like spilled red paint in the snow.
After seeing this, it was in fact the start of our coyote hunting !! This was between 3 of our tree stands so helping the deer out was an easy decision for us.
Right away new 243's bipods, callers, camo, finding bait...lol   I got 2 that winter, while Glen got 7 IIRC !!  He's had a few good years at it since too ! I believe he still goes every winter for a bit.

Wow!! Good job taking some of them out!

#34 dbg2

dbg2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

Send them every year to auction , I've got one here this year that's got a almost pure black stripe down his entire back then fades out on the tale to half way of pure black , dark grey face with tuft of fur above the eyes about 1 1/2 long by 1 wide , I'll be keeping this one . There's more than several all done , dried , boarded and ready for this year as long as prices stay up away they go just took in 4 more today . Got two nice cats that are almost ready with very nice color and dark spots , guess it's just roll of the dice , either way every yote down is one less deer killer

Absolutely...keep the pressure on them!

#35 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

Caught my first yote yesterday for the season. 38 lb female  lots of black and silver . Very little brown on her. Have a deal in the works  to sell her. $225 + $160 for tanning  plus shipping to USA.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#36 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

20190120 110321

#37 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

Very nice , beautiful colors and coat on it , nice and prime , I take it there was no rub yet on it
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#38 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Only rub was around her neck as the snare chocked her off.. Seems odd was I couldn't  split her bottom lip in the front . Was very hard like it was freezer burnt.  Been cold so I think it had frostbite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users