Is A 100 Ft From My House To Close To Trap Otters - Trapping - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Is A 100 Ft From My House To Close To Trap Otters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

We had mussels on New Years Eve and the shells were outside on the deck. The otters were on my deck trying to get to them. . They were all over the pond and sliding from the house to the ice on pond.
 Didn't see them.. So not sure if they were at night or at first light.

20190105 095506

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Now that is cool

Cheers

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Page 9 of the 2018-19 regs

All traps are to be 274yrds from house , dwelling , school, playground , unless that person has permission in writing or is the land owner , then traps still has to be 182 yards from nearest dwelling , Unless setting traps for Nusience Wildlife then Written permission from C.O.

Just did Nusience set in a guys Garage , since traps were enclosed inside a building I was able to set them for 5 Raccoons that took up shop for the winter , That was till eviction notice was given . Still had to get written permission from home owner even tho he hired me to remove them .

Hope this helps

Nice pic , very cool , all Otter and Fisher Carcases must be turned in this year as well to DLF , pelts must be also stapped this year
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Tyson as a licensed trapper i am aware of the rules and distances  to set traps. . Been here for 7 years and never seen otter tracks here til now. They came up the runoff from my pond . The closest major water source is about 2 kms away . But otters will travel  any little water trickle.  Does anyone know if they travel at night?

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

I've seen them travel very early in the Morning and very late in evening , but never at night , so good chance those are very fresh morning tracks coming in to predawn hours , I was only posting what I thought you were asking in your title , I knew you were fellow trapper , was just posting what the regs say for those that are not aware.

If you are interested to trap them I'd go on the other side of your pond to where the water outflows , I've had luck in the past doing it that way. Not to say the are not traveling overland as I've witnessed that in the past to get to larger water source .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#6 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Otters are pretty safe here . See in the fresh snow at lunch a fisher was in at the chicken bait gut pile. Few snares set now for the yotes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users