Animal Sanctuary Continues Mission In Woman’S Memory - Other - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Animal Sanctuary Continues Mission In Woman’S Memory

Dr. Helene Van Doninck eagles lead

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

The Cobequid Animal Rehabilitation Centre in Hilden is a sanctuary for orphaned and injured wildlife that Dr. Helene Van Doninck founded with her husband Murdo Messer 18 years ago. She was the centre’s chief veterinarian, available 24-7. It was her life’s work up until her final weeks, before succumbing to ovarian cancer this past August. A month before her death she received the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association’s Humane Award. Two months before her passing, she attended a centre board of directors meeting. Her wish to the members was that the centre would continue on. Her husband and everyone else in the room took on the challenge. “The board members made a commitment to do that, to carry on her legacy,” recalled Messer. The centre currently holds 31 animals including eagles, owls, hawks, falcons, pigeons, songbirds and a porcupine. In 95 per cent of the cases, humans are to blame, says Messer. They fall victim to vehicle collisions, eating rat poison and electrocution.

https://www.thechron...-memory-273819/

#2 Cliff

Cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Glad to hear I’m sure they do some good work but I didn’t realize it was my fault when an animal darts into the road and gets run over!

#3 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

Glad to hear I’m sure they do some good work but I didn’t realize it was my fault when an animal darts into the road and gets run over!

You should brake hard for wildlife,thereby getting rear ended. Porcupines, raccoons,etc are moe valued than our well being.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

I am also glad the operation is still running since it is needed

Real stupid comment however made here which will piss off people some of which  who reach into their pockets to keep the place afloat

Good news I guess it is just not 100% hunters killing everything

The centre currently holds 31 animals including eagles, owls, hawks, falcons, pigeons, songbirds and a porcupine.

In 95 per cent of the cases, humans are to blame, says Messer.

They fall victim to vehicle collisions, eating rat poison and electrocution.

#5 Cliff

Cliff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

I guess the late Dr wasn’t the only one in the family to make statements without the evidence to back them up.Unfortunatley some uninformed folks will believe what they hear must be fund raising time!

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

Well I too am happy it is staying in operation , but the same ole song and dance that humans are to blame for the animals getting injured is just B.S. to get the uninformed mases on thier side and plunk down donations in thier bank account .

I'm sorry but any animal that gets hit or hurt is just unfortunate , Electrocution is no our fault either we can't monitor every power line to scare off the Birds from sitting on them or flying into them , as for poisoning of any matter , everything is done already to prevent this , although we can't fix stupid in people who don't use common sense when distributing poison without using caution .

I'm very sure the "HUNTERS BULLET LEAD BULL CHATT WILL AGAIN RESURFACE " The poor Eagles , But yet if it was a Rat suffering from Lead or any other poison , everyone be running for a shovel to finish it off !
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#7 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:14 AM

Just curious.... what’s the other 5% in there for ???? They fall asleep and fall out of a tree ????

#8 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

5'/. Natural causes
I like the work they do to rehabilitate animals but wonder if they truly think and believe animals brought to their facility are there due humans. I get that "progress " hurts the environment and everything else but I'm sure that if humans didn't do it mother nature would be much crueler
can i go hunting yet??

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Just curious.... what’s the other 5% in there for ???? They fall asleep and fall out of a tree ????

8KPPpoi.jpg

#10 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Good one Joe !!! LOL

#11 ttc

ttc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:54 PM

I don't see the point in saving a porcupine or a pigeon.. We have lots folks. Money could be put to better uses.

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

I don't see the point in saving a porcupine or a pigeon.. We have lots folks. Money could be put to better uses.

That's the point if then saving them , shows they help any animal just for donations , it's PR for them ,

Most don't know porcupines or more than abundant on the main land and Pigeons carry more viruses and diseases than most care to know about , but to a bird lover who can't resist feeding them bread or what not in the winter doing more harm than good , it warms thier heart they are doing something even tho it's not right .

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

Remember they save crows also so that says it all

Cheers

#14 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Remember they save crows also so that says it all
Cheers

LMFAO , Saving Crows , Years ago we go out to a friends farm and use em for target practice , they did more destruction to his fields than one could imagine , nothing but s Nusience . Still today I know of couple different farms on Bouladrie that have crow issues. Guess if a mouse was brought into the rehab center they take pitty too on it instead of feeding it to a sick eagle for lunch . I guess I have hard time grappling some people's train of thought . There does need be a border line drawn somewhere as to truly what animals should be saved vs what animals can be saved due to over abundance . As we all know! Know mother nature can truly be a heartless Biach if need be

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11387 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Most porcupines come in during breeding season. I kid you not.

They are in bad shape

See smile.png Some say they don't even know what they are at the center other than another prick smile.png that was dropped off from the mainland LOL

have to get moving shower, hair cut AND GO OUT TO SEE IF I CAN FALL ON THE ICE smile.png

mtIy6v2.jpg

#16 ttc

ttc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

There is a reason some people on the street have a dog... People will give then money so the dog doesn't go hungry. Got to work the angles

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

There is a reason some people on the street have a dog... People will give then money so the dog doesn't go hungry. Got to work the angles

I'm sure im going hear lots of comments for this post , but here it goes !

I'm sorry I know people fall on hard times been there few times myself , but I'll never use something to benefit my own self , I've worked 3 jobs years ago to make ends meet , been divorced once over , 25 years ago , times were very hard , no place to live for short time despite having a job , but never would I use a animal to get sympathy for donations or handouts . I truly have no sympathy for those on the street , if you want help it's there , there are programs to keep a person outta that situation . As far as having a dog just for handout to work the angles , that's where the law needs step in to put the dog in place it's not going do without and give those in need the help they need . Government is to quick to waste taxpayers money B4 looking after socail problems of such going on .

Plz don't tell me the old line , you have no idea why those are in that situation , I've volunteered for years with youth , mental health crisis and others things to boot , help is there if they want it . Whole problem with lots today , they just want and don't want to work or contribute to get , just want the quick handouts and do as they plz without giving back to society or being a valued member of society .

Sorry to get off track but these rescue organizations play on people's heart strings , I'm no stranger to rescue animals I just took in a 4 year old Hymalayan Cat that was abused and used as a Kitten factory , and for what , nothing but profit , poor cat was in desperate need of a Cleaning up and vet services . We never looked for handout doing this we just took out of pocket and now she's a valued member of the family and very healthy .

#18 ttc

ttc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

The one problem with being homeless is not having an address. Some services are hard to get without an address.

Work college got a rescue dog from Spain... I thought is strange as i bet the shelters here are full of animals that need a home. But its cooler when you tell all your hipster friends you got a rescued dog from Spain.

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

I'm sure im going hear lots of comments for this post , but here it goes !
I'm sorry I know people fall on hard times been there few times myself , but I'll never use something to benefit my own self , I've worked 3 jobs years ago to make ends meet , been divorced once over , 25 years ago , times were very hard , no place to live for short time despite having a job , but never would I use a animal to get sympathy for donations or handouts . I truly have no sympathy for those on the street , if you want help it's there , there are programs to keep a person outta that situation . As far as having a dog just for handout to work the angles , that's where the law needs step in to put the dog in place it's not going do without and give those in need the help they need . Government is to quick to waste taxpayers money B4 looking after socail problems of such going on .
Plz don't tell me the old line , you have no idea why those are in that situation , I've volunteered for years with youth , mental health crisis and others things to boot , help is there if they want it . Whole problem with lots today , they just want and don't want to work or contribute to get , just want the quick handouts and do as they plz without giving back to society or being a valued member of society .
Sorry to get off track but these rescue organizations play on people's heart strings , I'm no stranger to rescue animals I just took in a 4 year old Hymalayan Cat that was abused and used as a Kitten factory , and for what , nothing but profit , poor cat was in desperate need of a Cleaning up and vet services . We never looked for handout doing this we just took out of pocket and now she's a valued member of the family and very healthy .

Injured wildlife to homeless people- way off topic for sure,but.........

Most of the panhandlers you see around town ARE NOT HOMELEES ! I mean look close, designer clothes etc and pets but the pets don’t LOOK underfed now do they! Plus they park their car a block or two away from their “work site”. Yes a lot of them have cars!
This is the best one - young woman in downtown Hfx- all she ever did was panhandle and look pityfull all curled up in a blanket on the street. When actually she has her OWN apartment in a very classy building and drives a late model BMW!!!!! I know because my son knows her. Went to school with her and partied with her.
A friend of mine use to pass out buisness cards to the panhandlers and tell them to call him and he would give them a job,guess how many took him up on his offer- ZERO.
You see them everywhere, which ones really need the charity is the tricky part to figure out.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#20 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

Injured wildlife to homeless people- way off topic for sure,but.........
Most of the panhandlers you see around town ARE NOT HOMELEES ! I mean look close, designer clothes etc and pets but the pets don’t LOOK underfed now do they! Plus they park their car a block or two away from their “work site”. Yes a lot of them have cars!
This is the best one - young woman in downtown Hfx- all she ever did was panhandle and look pityfull all curled up in a blanket on the street. When actually she has her OWN apartment in a very classy building and drives a late model BMW!!!!! I know because my son knows her. Went to school with her and partied with her.
A friend of mine use to pass out buisness cards to the panhandlers and tell them to call him and he would give them a job,guess how many took him up on his offer- ZERO.
You see them everywhere, which ones really need the charity is the tricky part to figure out.

What your saying does not shock me , there's so many fraudsters out there in so many different ways . Rescuing orgs are no different , they do good work but use the wrong msgs to get donations , Telling the truth is not always a good thing for the cause .

If they said this Bird of Prey has nothing wrong , but we are keeping it here to show that we have the ability to care for it if needed, people would just shake thier head at them and say why not just release it and leave it fend for it self without human interference . Make a lie up about hunters bullets lead posoning or a speculation of a certain idea without scientific back up . People are more willing to open thief wallets

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dr. Helene Van Doninck, eagles, lead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users