#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9150 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2823 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

Looks like heavy rubbing in that one spot , if really was mange , it be more evident thru the entire animal , plus if the rub spot was really mange it be reddish color on the skin. Not saying it not mange but more to me of heavy rubbing .

Foxes and Yotes that I've seen mange on the fur has lots of fur loss thru entire animal depending how bad it was , but tell take is the reddish color and blood spotting thru the skin itself , where the blood comes closer to the pores from repeated scratching .

Anything I come in contact with mange I certainly would not leave it around my pets at home
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11357 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:25 PM

This was with the final PIC. Yuck IMO

Well after following Fratri’s instructions, both those posted on CGN and those given to me via PMs, my first attempt at skinning and tanning a coyote hide is complete. You can see where he had a bit of mange around the shoulder area but otherwise he was in decent shape. Learned a lot in the process. This was a good coyote to learn on because he wasn’t perfect and neither was I wink.png. Again, can’t thank Fratri enough for his guidance. 

#5 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

Mange is just a serious skin infection.. Would think that death and  all the chemical required to pickle a hide would kill the mange. If its not losing fur all over then process it.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11357 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:10 PM

Mange is just a serious skin infection.. Would think that death and  all the chemical required to pickle a hide would kill the mange. If its not losing fur all over then process it.

So you would do one with mange ???

#7 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2823 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

I don't bother usually , I've seen far worse than this , most times they end up in bait pile , I don't even harvest the glands for Lures for simple fact I don't want to risk spreading the disease. Plus hope who ever this guy was used gloves to handle it at all times and disinfected his gear properly .

I've tried couple and , it's just nothing more than a PITA , loss of fur after drying and such , plus it's not worth much as it's graded as damaged and value is almost worth nothing , so not worth risk spreading or worth the time to process
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#8 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

So you would do one with mange ???

So about 7 years ago I picked up a road kill yote.

Odd place laying on top of a snow drift on the side of back road.  That yote had a story. Had mange,  bullet hole in head ass end all full of shot and infection. Had a rope on its back leg and was half skinned. It was a mess.

I finished skinning and dried . Sent to market and got $25.

If someone wants me to tan a mangy yote I will as long as its not too bad.

Have not done one to date.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#9 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

The guy said that this was his first experimental try at it.   I don't think he was focused on how "perfect" the hide was so much as the learning process.   He probably intentionally wanted a bad hide so that he wounldn't feel bad messing it up.   Let him learn and enjoy I say.

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11357 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

I guess for me finding a good coyote hide to do is not that hard that one would have to do one with mange but to each their own I guess smile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users