#1 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Well the day has come to get our new puppy, I arrived at the meeting spot early and met the parents and exchanged greetings before I was given a puppy, the wrong one. Once we had that straight I got Margaret rose, Maggie.
We shared a breakfast sandwich before we were headed to meet one of the guys responsible for our new puppy. It was puppy love for him.
I then took her to home depot to get a new lockset for a rental unit I look after, I was swarmed by everybody in the store.
Off to install the lockset and she sleeps on my knees as I drove.
Off to chat about trail cameras and another puppy visit . She was fawned over by everyone and their dogs.
Next up was getting my wife from work and going to the vet for the initial exam.
All checked out fine and we were headed home with a little anxiety. Not sure how the old hound would accept the pup.
Turns out that he is trying to avoid the puppy and pretend that shes not here.

It's going to take a while before we can relax and let the hounds go
can i go hunting yet??

#2 mob

mob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:50 AM

It all sounds like every thing is coming up Roses. Couldn't help myself on that one Tim congrats the old hound will come around soon enough. Love the name had a Setter once I called Maggie, never had a Rose, always had a soft spot for Beagles but never owned one. Closest hound for me was my Grandfathers Black and Tan named Duke he and a Spaniel named Tim were my canine baby sitters for at that time I was only 3.

Good luck and good times.

Mike

#3 featherweight

featherweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

Indeed. Best of luck with the new pup. Sounds like the beginning of a love story. Good stuff.

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Glad to hear you got your new pup , the older one will come around for sure takes time . Happy to hear she had good vet visit and she's taking to you instantly , Last hound I had was Spencer 18 years now since owned or hunted off one, those jitters of letting them go to hunt will go away , Good luck with Maggie she will fit in just fine .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

Congrats on the new pup. smile.png

I had to get my older one some hemp based I think dog treats from the vet to help with the anxiety

They are not cheap IMO like 30 bucks a small bag and she gets two a day but made a difference

It is now 4 weeks and they love each other and no more biscuits required smile.png

Cheers

#6 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

Was only up 3 times last night with Maggie
She is not crate trained either
Good news is she cries and whines when she has go outside.
My guess is that she hasn't been outside much as she avoids the wet grass and only does her business on the deck
She has already made huge gains in fetching and bringing the ball back. She loves her bunny foot too
can i go hunting yet??

#7 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

Here's a picture of Maggie

DgSnf4f.jpg

63LFmqk.jpg

She was only up once last night and is getting used to the crate.
If we are paying attention to what she's doing most times she will go outside and do her job.

Boomer is getting closer but still not feeling the puppy love. He will be nose to nose if he thinks there's something in it for him, treats lol.
can i go hunting yet??

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

She is a nice looking dog. Thanks for sharing the pic

Cheers

#9 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Good looking pooch , the crate training takes time for sure , at least she's giving notice when needs go out for her business . Boomer will come around as she grows and he gets used to her pressence
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

How is that new pup doing by the way. Mine is growing like a weed

Had her fixed last week and almost passed out $505 for a 27 pound dog yikes

4 years ago I had my other Britt done and it was under $300

Cheers

gkFsLIk.jpg

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

She's gorgeous Joe !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

She's gorgeous Joe !!

LOL she sure is. By far the prettiest and smartest out of the four Britts I have had in my life

They say background is BS not from what I am seeing

Her mother is the same as my 4 year old so they are true half sisters

But the dad was flown in for a one time breeding from france since the guy had 9 paid deposits and no pups to sell and at almost 2000 a pup well worth flying one in

The dad was a full documented hunting champ over there and man I can see it in her vs her sister

They didnot want to give me her back at the vet LOL

Something like my daughter she is beautiful since she looks like her dada :) and not her cranky OLD mom LOL

Here is her dad. He is actually what they call a tri color and has some brown which now I can see a little bit coming on her ears. She gets the roan from her mother

Cheers

Here dada

LdYd0Ty.jpg

Her hard looking mom LOL

1mnEmFZ.jpg

#13 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

The pup is very active, smarter than me, and full of energy.
Shes taking over barking at the bunny in the yard, I'm guessing she wants it to come play.
I'll see if I can get a pic up
can i go hunting yet??

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

The pup is very active, smarter than me, and full of energy.
Shes taking over barking at the bunny in the yard, I'm guessing she wants it to come play.
I'll see if I can get a pic up

Good to hear.Would love to see a new pic

Take care

#15 MikeD.

MikeD.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

Superslickie, I recently bought a beagle from a breeder in Yarmouth. She is just over 5 months old and absolutely loves the woods. I have yet to let her go off leash, I'm worried she will take off.  Each time I have her out her nose is pinned to the ground and she does what beagles do. I hope to get her on a bunny scent soon to see what she does.  She definitely knows what a partridge smells like.  I'm hoping she will be a good hunter.

#16 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

Find an old rabbit foot and tie it to a string and let her almost catch it. After a few times drag it around and hide it. Let her find it
Reward the progress, don't fret the failures.
Dont worry about losing her as she will come back on her own, making sure you are still there. Her away times will get longer as her confidence grows.
Teach her now about come on command, leave it, and leash. Mine come to check on me every hour or so now, not allowed to put the rabbit in the mouth, they will get a treat for every bunny that we get (heart,liver,kidneys). End of day they come find me to go back home.
can i go hunting yet??

#17 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:07 PM

This was taken a few months ago but she still looks the same...evil. Full of energy and loves mischief

http://imgur.com/gallery/oQMkMyI
can i go hunting yet??

#18 MikeD.

MikeD.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:01 PM

She looks just like my dog!  My buddy has a bag of rabbit paws for me, I will start that this weekend.  We always gave the dogs kidney's, hearts, etc after a day of hunting, they love it.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

This was taken a few months ago but she still looks the same...evil. Full of energy and loves mischief

http://imgur.com/gallery/oQMkMyI

Nice looking dog

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users