Smart Use Of Invasive Species - Other Harvestable Wildlife - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Smart Use Of Invasive Species

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

https://video.vice.c...kPDgwp12seZeVeU

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

Ive eaten Red squirrel on several occasions , why not try his bigger cousin Mr Grey Squirrel , see them all the time in Fredricton , running around , both my son and I said wonder what it taste like over the BBQ ?, I'm thinking be just as tasty
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

Squirrel is very good not the small tree rats we have up here but I am spoiled too

Nothing like a feed of squirrel and eggs for breakfast state side

Cheers

#4 Bullet Caster

Bullet Caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationChester

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:59 AM

I remember Glenn and Mitchell hunting them to make Squirrel and Dumplings....

#5 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

We tried one of the small red's, it was not good eating. Maybe the bigger Greys are better, but we don't get them in out neck of the woods, shame.

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

We tried one of the small red's, it was not good eating. Maybe the bigger Greys are better, but we don't get them in out neck of the woods, shame.

Agree small reds taste nothing like the bigger ones

Cheers

#7 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:42 AM

We did a red over an open flame a couple years ago. My son and grandson said it was just ok. I never tried it. I said, “I’m not hungry enough to eat a tree rat”. Couldn’t bring myself to try it. Lol

#8 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Best use for reds I've ever found , they make great Coyote/Fox Bait !
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#9 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

Threw reds in a stew with other meat and all was good.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#10 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

Anyone tried porcupine? I am up for trying most things but last year we shot a nuisance porcupine and being one not to waste I processed it. Well, in the pan it went to brown and the smell almost made be instantly sick, lol, so out the door went the slightly browned porcupine pieces. The windows were promptly opened and I gagged my mouth until the smell was gone.

How can I describe it, awful, like meaty piney smell that was seriously BAD.

I do however believe that they can be good!

#11 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

em.fisher

My Dad use to cook porcupine on a regular basis in the 70's and 80's and they were very good. But once in while I would bring him a head shot one from the baiting pile and he would discard it as soon as he started gutting it. We have a cedar stand next to our property and he could tell when they had been feeding on cedar trees just by the smell of the flesh. I assume that the one you tried was similar. Most are very good and almost indistinguisable from rabbit and much more meaty. 

Dad would parboil them in a broth infused with onions and garlic and then stuff them and roast them in the oven.    

#12 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

em.fisher

My Dad use to cook porcupine on a regular basis in the 70's and 80's and they were very good. But once in while I would bring him a head shot one from the baiting pile and he would discard it as soon as he started gutting it. We have a cedar stand next to our property and he could tell when they had been feeding on cedar trees just by the smell of the flesh. I assume that the one you tried was similar. Most are very good and almost indistinguisable from rabbit and much more meaty. 

Dad would parboil them in a broth infused with onions and garlic and then stuff them and roast them in the oven.    

How interesting, yes we have lots of evergreens here that it must have been chomping on. Maybe I will pluck up the courage to try one again, and if I smell that piney smell before cooking I will discard, it was horrible. This time of year they become a nuisance on our property, mainly the orchard so I am sure I will get another shot at trying one :)

#13 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

My mother grew up on those things. She hasn’t eaten them since my existence. I have often heard her say that porkies killed in the hardwoods were good, and those from the softwood....” weren’t fit to eat”.

#14 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

My mother grew up on those things. She hasn’t eaten them since my existence. I have often heard her say that porkies killed in the hardwoods were good, and those from the softwood....” weren’t fit to eat”.

I think that is the problem, we have some hardwood around, but much more softwood.

#15 Bird-dog

Bird-dog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:34 AM

I’ve eaten a lot of grey squirrel, it’s good, but gotta cook it right or it’s tough as a boot. White meat. Marinate before BBQ. Or slow cook.
I’ve eaten many red squirrel, and I prefer it, darker meat, richer gravy. I make stews and pies with mine mostly. I use only the back and haunches, front half goes to the dogs!

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

Squirrel and eggs is one of my favorite breakfast dishes with gravy over fired grit cakes YUM but only the bigger ones state side I like however. Been a lot of years however like 16 since I had any sad.png

I did try the little red dudes here but sorry not for me sad.png

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users