#1 mob

mob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

Tuesday Oct.1st began cool ended hot. No one has to explain climate change to me was up in Kennetcook and the Temp by mid morning was in the high teens no real breeze to think of and little wildlife movement. Still I managed to raise about 8 or so Woodcock and took 3,  no Grouse some nice looking deer sign. I am hoping after todays rain that Thursday will be somewhat cooler and the Grouse will start to be more active. Last year most apple trees had little if any this year the trees are full the choke cherries are hanging full, rose hips a plenty. Lots of good fall food so here's hoping all of you upland guys and gals plus your dogs for those who have them have yourselves a large season. As for me I have a friend coming up from Liverpool way tomorrow I think we will give Stanley a go, and I have people from PEI coming in to see their new Pup plus today as well. Nothing like talking dogs, guns, birds great times in the maritimes; if I don't see ya sooner well By' I'll catch Ya' in the field.

The Ol' Fielddog ( MOB)   

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10484 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

Tuesday Oct.1st began cool ended hot. No one has to explain climate change to me was up in Kennetcook and the Temp by mid morning was in the high teens no real breeze to think of and little wildlife movement. Still I managed to raise about 8 or so Woodcock and took 3,  no Grouse some nice looking deer sign. I am hoping after todays rain that Thursday will be somewhat cooler and the Grouse will start to be more active. Last year most apple trees had little if any this year the trees are full the choke cherries are hanging full, rose hips a plenty. Lots of good fall food so here's hoping all of you upland guys and gals plus your dogs for those who have them have yourselves a large season. As for me I have a friend coming up from Liverpool way tomorrow I think we will give Stanley a go, and I have people from PEI coming in to see their new Pup plus today as well. Nothing like talking dogs, guns, birds great times in the maritimes; if I don't see ya sooner well By' I'll catch Ya' in the field.

The Ol' Fielddog ( MOB)   

Nothing wrong with three woodcocks smile.png and a day pout with the dog (s) PRICELESS

I watched two guys yesterday in full hunters orange walking up the old track line with a basset hound of all things trailing behind

I have not seen one of them in the woods since I had a bud that would breed them for rabbit hunting

I never heard anyone taking them upland hunting for grouse or woodcock LOL

Then again maybe they are Ok I don't know. Think I will stick to britts however smile.png

Cheers

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

Im heading out tomorrow for some grouse , 20 pump in tow along with check some trail cams and set out a dripper for disolved mineral recipe I use , since the weather is not the best last two days and other important things at home to look after like the misses after her day surgery Monday , and Friday calls for rain again I'll take advantage of a break in the weather to hopefully get the birds moving some what .

Any luck I'll get some nice deer pics and they will start moving in there in the day times instead of total nocturnal, reguardless it will be a day of walk and flush and just great day to enjoy fall
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 mob

mob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:13 PM

That sounds like a plan with this front moving out I think Thursday should be nice day. Anyways any day in the field is good. A basset hound well you have one on me I thought I had seen most if not had an opportunity to shoot over bird dogs and hounds alike but I have never seen a basset hound actually hunt. All I can say is good for them and good luck. Speaking of luck here's to your Britt, and any other dog out there that takes to the field.

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10484 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

That sounds like a plan with this front moving out I think Thursday should be nice day. Anyways any day in the field is good. A basset hound well you have one on me I thought I had seen most if not had an opportunity to shoot over bird dogs and hounds alike but I have never seen a basset hound actually hunt. All I can say is good for them and good luck. Speaking of luck here's to your Britt, and any other dog out there that takes to the field.

They were good on rabbits. I am going back 35 years here and remember one breeder that swore by them for rabbits and I did hunt with him a few times and IMO not as good as a beagle but yes they would follow rabbits LOL since I don't remember them ever running after them

Good part was you got sitting rabbit shots :( waiting for the dog to catch up

Cheers

#6 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

They were good on rabbits. I am going back 35 years here and remember one breeder that swore by them for rabbits and I did hunt with him a few times and IMO not as good as a beagle but yes they would follow rabbits LOL since I don't remember them ever running after them

Good part was you got sitting rabbit shots sad.png waiting for the dog to catch up

Cheers

I hunted with one that belonged to a friend of mine in the valley about 45 or more years ago, her name was Susie. The howl was really morn full on a cold morning, but as you said, had a lot of sitting shots! LOL   

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8854 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

for some reason, FLASH...and coo...coo...coo springs to mind !!  laugh.pnglaugh.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

Spent Saturday patrolling the fire roads on the south mountain with my trusty 870 20g in hand. The weather was great, unfortunately the hunting was not. Mind you, a bad day hunting is still a good day IMO lol. No birds to be found but definitely found some very promising deer woods. Still lots summer foliage on the trees and bushes.
There is no Wifi in the forest, but you will find a better connection.

#9 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2284 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

Got out yesterday for the first trip of the year . green ground cover is still very heavy and hard to see through . did manage to put up 2 grouse .I didn't get a shot at either huh.png but my partner who was standing on the open side of the cove canseled the second birds flight biggrin.png . We seen 1 pheasant that was no where to be found when we walk the fence line 10 mims later . and in an other location I had a woodcock twist me up like a cork screw tongue.png as it flushed 15ft in front of me went past me on my left and exited the area directly away from my right shoulder laugh.png  . so over all a good day biggrin.png .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#10 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8854 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

Ha ha ha ...not many sporting clays will replicate that flight path hey Lloyd...tongue.pngtongue.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#11 mob

mob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

Those are good stories and true, I think one of the reasons I like hunting Woodcock is their flight. I swear they take aim at a fella when they flush up and fly back with that beak of theirs. Through the legs, zipping past your head, straight up knocking your hat off almost taking your nose. Had one come up behind me once swear I felt the wings slapping my butt. Nice to hear some Grouse being seen like some of you there is right now a ton of green cover I usually do better on Grouse later in the year. Out and about last Thursday raised a few more Woodcocks took 2 saw 2 deer a doe and a yearling spike horn, and one very nice Rooster only trouble got to wait until Nov 1 for pheasant. 

On the home front looks like 3 pups heading to PEI they will be plying their trade next fall, dogs, guns and birds don't get much better than that.

#12 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2284 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

Ha ha ha ...not many sporting clays will replicate that flight path hey Lloyd...tongue.pngtongue.png

Ha ha your not kidding bud . the only thing I could do on both grouse was yell bird up . 

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#13 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

Where I go I usually see/hear several flushes of grouse on October 1st.  Got one this year.  After the first day, it seems like they are hiding more.  I have not tried dusk yet so maybe that would work better.

#14 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

was out yesterday put a lot of miles on and never saw one bird, will keep trying.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#15 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

I've been out a few more times.  I see a pattern that on Oct 1st there are opportunities for grouse (some which I passed up so I could bring my son the next time).  After that, even on a trail at sunrise with a hyper amount of other birds pecking away at the dirt, there is not one grouse and not one flush.  Sunset at another untravelled path over 30 KM away from first area, I get one flush at sunset, and it would have required 0.5 second response to trigger to get that guy because he was invisible at the fullness of saying "one thousand and one".  The birds are fewer in number and/or they are spooked by the hunting of them.

Oh well, there is no one to see me, so I can always try something new like calling them and pretending I am pecking the ground myself.

https://youtu.be/W0KyKL-fxsg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users