#1 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2368 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

Wearing poppy time of year again - stories from my relatives come to mind, of the things they experienced in England during the wars. Also, a couple stories from a nephew who served in Afghanistan.

Do my best to recall those stories to help better appreciate and be grateful for what we have, in this great country of ours. As time goes by, the stories fade some but strain the brain to remember the sacrifices made.

some of Dad's pics, from back in the day.

9Jv896L.jpg

KT4MKni.jpg

sdnYMnO.jpg

4UE0KUG.jpg

kU4ChoD.jpg

#2 Janimal

Janimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEastern Passage

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

We shall remember them.

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

We shall remember them.

100%

Cheers

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8727 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

WE WILL ALSO REMEMBER.....GREAT PICS GARY !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures Gary.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#6 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

We shall remember them.

Always!

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#7 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

I've volunteered with Acting and Retired members of the Military , my Grandfather was a merchant Mariner , one the lucky ones to come back , have many friends who former military as well as my future son in law is active member .
We will never forget and always pay respect to those who served or currently serving .

Thank you for your Service .
Thanks for posting and sharing Gary
Take a kid Hunting or Fishing and keep the Tradition and Passion Alive!

The Redneck is Back !

#8 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5219 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

Will always remember and give thanks to those who fought for us all and those who continue to do so. Both grandfathers served and saw action, neither would ever speak of it. An uncle was shot down over Germany two days before WW2 ended.

THIS COUNTRY AND ALL ITS PEOPLE OWE EVERYTHING TO OUR VETS AND EVEN MORE TO THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN !!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#9 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5018 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:55 AM

I have noticed many unmanned poppy trays this year. How very sad it is that those who served in ww2 are dying off. I hope as time goes by, the sacrifices of so many are never allowed to be forgotten by society.

Lest we forget
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#10 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

Lest we forget

#11 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for posting Louisbear - I had forgot about this song!   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#12 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone been hearing about the LGBTQ group wanting the poppies to be rainbow colour ??? Is this a real thing or just FB nonsense ??? That would piss me off to no end if this was legit. I have a couple *** friends ... and I have no issues with them.... but this would take the cake. Someone please tell me this is bogus !!! Edit .... apparently the mods dont like the word g.a.y. So i will say homosexual. 

#13 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

Has anyone been hearing about the LGBTQ group wanting the poppies to be rainbow colour ??? Is this a real thing or just FB nonsense ??? That would piss me off to no end if this was legit. I have a couple *** friends ... and I have no issues with them.... but this would take the cake. Someone please tell me this is bogus !!! Edit .... apparently the mods dont like the word g.a.y. So i will say homosexual.

Cripes near spit my coffee over the screen reading your post while laughing , sorry to tell you it is LEGIT unfortunately , seems they believe those that served and are of the flipsided gender or what ever ! Anyways yes they believe everything needs and should be changed to reflect those who served and observe thier lost sided Vets .

Don't get me wrong but there's a friggin limit ! It needs stop somewhere and just be told , this is a Ceremony to remember all Vets despite thier personal life preferences and the poppy represents everyone as it is and just leave it the fek alone !

The Redneck is Back !

#14 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

I watched an interview where this young girl was expelled from school for not supporting the “rainbow” poppy. She posted notices around the school saying why she didn’t support it and apparently the Principal took it as hate propaganda. What in the eff is this world coming to ???? Leave the poppy alone !! I was SO hoping that was Facebook BS ... but I guess it’s not. I will be wearing my RED poppy this year. What’s next .... they will change the canadian flag to rainbow colours ???? Congrats on the success BW Hunter !! 

#15 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

Calm down gentlemen.  :-)

"The poppies aren't widespread, or even available for sale, in Canada"

https://edmonton.cit...d-by-fake-news/

Rob

#16 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Part 2:

Here are some actual real things that involve the poppy symbol.  Some of them have support, some don't.  Unless it affects revenue legions have generally taken a "live and let live" approach.

"The white poppy is a flower used as a symbol of peace"

"The Purple Poppy Campaign was first founded by Animal Aid, the UK’s oldest and largest animal rights group, in order to remember the millions of animals who killed during the First World War and to honour the animals in service today. Approximately eight million horses, donkeys, and pigeons were killed in the First World War."

"The black poppy is most commonly associated with the remembrance of black, African, and Caribbean contributions to the war effort."

"For Remembrance Day 2018 – the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War – Conservative Party donor Lord Jitesh Gadhia and the Royal British Legion launched the “khadi poppy”.  This design, which was the same deep red as the original poppy, replaced the current paper style and was instead crafted from khadi, a traditional hand-woven cloth from India which bears similarities to “Gandhi’s iconic clothing”, the BBC says.  The idea behind the khadi poppy was to pay tribute to and raise awareness of the service to the British Empire of people from South Asia during the First World War."

The ones above are big in a lot of Europe, I've never seen or worn anything other than red myself.  I tend to believe that we should have one to honor everyone (we are too fractured already), but I am a bigger believer in freedom and what other people wear doesn't affect me at all.  

I'm surprised the rainbow poppy hasn't taken off yet to be honest - I bet it will now that the nut jobs went to all of that work to hire actors to create that interview about the student being suspended.

I cringed when I heard about this one on the news expecting tons of backlash but I didn't hear of any - maybe Canada is getting more tolerant...?  :-)
https://en.wikipedia... on 8 November.

Rob

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

[quote name="Buckmark" post="893546" Congrats on the success BW Hunter !!
[/quote]

Thanks Buckmark !

The Redneck is Back !

#18 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5219 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:43 PM

Poppies were always a favourite of the hippies and many others. Poppies are the plant from which we get Opium,morphine, heroin and codene.
The poppy the legions here sell are just fine the way they are and there is no need to have separate ones for certain people. Leave it alone and REMEMBER THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM! That’s what the poppy represents!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5219 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

It is very unfortunate that our governments are slowly taking away our freedoms that our vets fought to protect!!!!!

#20 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

It is very unfortunate that our governments are slowly taking away our freedoms that our vets fought to protect!!!!!

That way they can do anything they want and we have no say to stop it . Slow and steady to defuse our way of life .

Your right about the poppies , leave it alone it's not broken don't try fixing it , I read Joyriders link , hopefully it will never gain steam in North America , some things not be fooled around with

The Redneck is Back !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users