• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:11 PM

This guy sounds "unique"  :-)  He's using imported fur for his hats, there must be a trapper / tanner locally who can provide?  Im sure he'd rather say something about "local sustainable..."  

Anyway, I'm not a trapper but if I was, I'd be hitting him up!  Good luck to anyone who does.  :-)

Rob

-----------------

A Halifax hat-maker is throwing off his cloak of mystery and planning to step into a storefront by next fall.~ "The whole premise behind it is custom, one-of-a kind hat-making," said El Dorado Hats owner Ben Edwards in an interview. Since 2018, Edwards has been working at The Mercantile Social, making luxurious fedoras and wide-brimmed hats on the side. But at the end of the month, he's leaving that gig to pursue hat-making full-time. He has what he calls a "workshop" on Allan Street, near Quinpool Road, but declined to provide the exact address, citing "mystery." Ben Edwards (Contributed) He makes hats out of rabbit and beaver fur, sourcing from Europe, Australia, and the U.S. Each hat costs from $350 to $500, and he likes to take the time to get to know his clients before he makes them a hat. Each hat takes about two to three days, depending on the style, and he sells two to five each week. He wants to get into a storefront by the fall of 2020. He doesn't have a location picked out yet, but is hoping for somewhere downtown. "That would be the dream, to be in the downtown core," he said. He wants it to be a "non-traditional" store, but wasn't sure what exactly that would look like, or the square footage. He does not have an estimate of the cost, and since he had to make many of his tools himself, is unsure what those costs added up to, either. He plans to hire one or two employees once he gets the store open, and would like to collaborate with other retailers who make custom products. Currently, he does all the hat-making, graphic design and marketing. In spite of its old-fashioned vibe, Edwards is confident that hats are on the rebound. "I don't think hats were ever really out of style... they just kind of got forgotten about for a while," he said.

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:33 PM

Interesting , lots of trappers thru the province and I've even tanned the for local and non local sales , but it's a "Niche Market " then again type of fur he's using are not something I deal mainly in , I'll keep certain comments to my self. And leave it at that
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

The last season and this one I have been tanning raccoon hides as well domesticate rabbits that we raise  for meat . More money in rabbit pompoms then meat

After the hides are tanned we make fur pompoms and sell them attached to a knitted toque. Last one  sold for $55.00. Seems this Xmas people have wanted raccoon pompoms stuffed with catnip as cat toys.

Cha Ching

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

The last season and this one I have been tanning raccoon hides as well domesticate rabbits that we raise  for meat . More money in rabbit pompoms then meat
   After the hides are tanned we make fur pompoms and sell them attached to a knitted toque. Last one  sold for $55.00. Seems this Xmas people have wanted raccoon pompoms stuffed with catnip as cat toys.
 Cha Ching

Yes sir , Cha ching ! Sometimes your own sales are better than anything else , just did a yote hide up for a nice profit as a cabin decoration .

#5 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

I always wondered why trappers didn't make more value added items instead of selling furs for $30 or whatever you get, maybe a problem of not having the required skills to do so? I would think real fur gloves, moccasins, hats etc. would be where the money is at. 

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I always wondered why trappers didn't make more value added items instead of selling furs for $30 or whatever you get, maybe a problem of not having the required skills to do so? I would think real fur gloves, moccasins, hats etc. would be where the money is at.

Easier said than done , yes excellent idea , but not everyone wants such items or willing to pay for such either , just harvesting is a job in itself and drying the fur . Then where do you advertise the local flea market , Facebook, even your own web site takes time and money . Plus then there other trappers who want in on the game and then the price takes tumble once market is flooded . As well the extra labor to produce those items , many if which can't just be turned out on a Walmart sewing machine .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users