#1 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5018 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

Been thinking of picking up a second machine for the wife to see if she'll take to the hobby. Not wanting to go new in case she doesn't take to atving, I decided to look at the used market. Holy ****, is it me or are people delusional with what they want for their machines? I actually found a a 6 yr old machine that he wants the same before tax money a 2020 is selling for. Kijij is full of 6 plus yr old machines with asking prices of 75 percent or more of what they sold for new. And these are not low mileage machines in most cases. I've pretty much decided at this point to buy new if I decide to buy a second machine. Seriously though, are these things moving at that money?
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#2 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:19 PM

What they are asking and what they will sell for is usually very different. Everyone asks for more cause of all the lowballing that goes on. If you know what you are looking for and do your homework you will find a suitable seller but make no bones about it, it is a buyer beware situation when it comes to wheelers.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

When I finally picked one up it was in New Brunswick , prices down our neck of the woods Nomad were out to lunch , I lucked out on nice older machine original owner who sold it due to health issues and just sitting in the garage , had original bill of sale @ that time he paid just over $4700 for it new , he sold it to me for $2000 with very low mileage and threw in 2 new tires cause the rears had slight dry rot from sitting , it's not new but for its age it's well cared for , not beat up and runs like a new one , it's buyers market out there , everyone wants new and trying to sell 10-20yr old machines for more than they sold for new to offset the price of the new ones .

As Op-dog stated it's buyer beware on used machines of any kind and what they are asking is all together different what they will take with cash in hand , been looking now at a skidoo seems like another trip to N.B on a one owner older machine with low mileage that's not been bubba to death
Take a kid Hunting or Fishing and keep the Tradition and Passion Alive!

The Redneck is Back !

#4 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

yup, buyer beware, the market will dictate the actual prices, which may or may not be what they are asking.   Don't underestimate the value of extra's though, they could easily have $2,000 to $5,000 of extras not included in the dealer price.

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2934 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

Been thinking of picking up a second machine for the wife to see if she'll take to the hobby. Not wanting to go new in case she doesn't take to atving, I decided to look at the used market. Holy ****, is it me or are people delusional with what they want for their machines? I actually found a a 6 yr old machine that he wants the same before tax money a 2020 is selling for. Kijij is full of 6 plus yr old machines with asking prices of 75 percent or more of what they sold for new. And these are not low mileage machines in most cases. I've pretty much decided at this point to buy new if I decide to buy a second machine. Seriously though, are these things moving at that money?

Down here in the valley quite a few years ago a place call "Claws" showed up. He moves many machines, seems to have a very good name. I have not heard anything bad. Prices always seemed reasonable. You could find him on Kijiji, Valley.

#6 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

I think those second hand dealers make their money off of financing. Some of the older machines are prolly better built but don't have all the bells and whistles that some of the the newer machines do. I'm of the same mind I don't mind travelling to get what I want. You can pretty much tell what kind of care a machine has had when you meet the seller. Older low mileage owners are prolly a safe bet though.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#7 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

I was recently looking for a machine as well. The prices of used stuff is pretty much forcing people to buy new. Everything I looked at was rat bagged and priced really close to new. I only really wanted something for plowing the driveway and taking the grandkids for a ride now and then so no real need for something new but that's where I ended up. Figured if I was going to spend nearly new money I might as well have new. Apparently depreciation isn't an issue if I decide to sell lol.

#8 deerman

deerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

I was looking for a good used Honda fourtrax 300-350 for some time, some guys want top dollar for beat up machines. Didn't want to go new with all the electronics on them today. I was just looking for a bare bones work horse. I ended up buying a 97 fourtrax 300 in pretty good shape last spring for $2200 , one tie rod end had slight play and bottom steering stem bearing had play. So I decided to rebuild the whole front end considering all parts were Origional. So I bought all honda parts and did all ball joints and tie rods, also did a complete overhaul on front and rear breaks. Figured if the factory Origional parts lasted this long new ones would last me for years. Cost me about $600 in parts. The bike hauled a moose out this fall with no problems. I think even the bikes are well overpriced.

#9 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2798 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

I was looking for a used side x side. Honda Big red MUV 700 Found a 2009 with 1500 kms in PEI. Seller delivered to Masstown market in NS  for $7500. We were looking for a shaft drive SXS and not belt driven one. First day we had it its started to work  going on 3 years now  It works hard most weeks.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#10 ttc

ttc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:22 AM

My luck or lack of it is why I got a mini truck. Can't go the places quads go but I can in the comfort of heat or AC go down the logging trails near my wood lot. If I had a red plated vehicle and turned on the road by my house I am sure I would get a ticket when others driver up the subdivision to get to the trails. The mini with a dump box has been super handy the last 4 years.

#11 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1681 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

My luck or lack of it is why I got a mini truck. Can't go the places quads go but I can in the comfort of heat or AC go down the logging trails near my wood lot. If I had a red plated vehicle and turned on the road by my house I am sure I would get a ticket when others driver up the subdivision to get to the trails. The mini with a dump box has been super handy the last 4 years.

Any pictures ?        >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users