Lionel Desmond Looked 'like A Normal Guy' As He Bought A Gun To Kill His Family - Illegal Activities - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Lionel Desmond Looked 'like A Normal Guy' As He Bought A Gun To Kill His Family

assault rifle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:35 PM

Nova Scotia resident Lionel Desmond walked slowly in front of a display case, sizing up four different rifles and testing their weight in his hands. The man in the video looks calm. He remained patient as he decided what to buy and paid for it. The Afghan war veteran can then be seen leaving with the Remington Model 760 rifle he would use that evening to kill his wife, his mother, his 10-year-old daughter and himself. After Dr. Faisal Rahman watched the surveillance video taken Jan. 3, 2017, at the hunting store Leaves and Limbs in Antigonish, N.S., he said he saw little out of the ordinary.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...day-7-1.5452409

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

Just goes to show even trained Psychologists and doctor's cannot truly tell what on a person's mind unless they display emotions or actions out of the ordinary , in this case , nothing comes to show he as set out to commit a very tragic crime .

Pretty sure anyone including my self will hold a firearm they have never owned or used to see how fit and feel in weight, balance and comfort for their personal use would exhibit the same as in the video as well exhibit same motions and conversation while conducting any such type transaction.

The fact he was admitted for the night in Jan for mental distress , really should arise red flags with health professionals as to or is this person a danger to himself or the general public , those questions are not asked , if they own firearms , have such licence to obtain one .

I can possibly see changes coming to the health Care act on this as to notify police immediately about such things and then steps taken forward to then remove any such items from that person's home or property along with suspension of licencing to obtain any such firearms or ammo as a deterrent to avoid any such possible case like this again, but as most of us know if a person is set on committing a crime with firearm there are other ways to obtain them unfortunately . He just went about it the legal way with a very unsound mindset as to do what ever it took to purchase it .

Unfortunate thing here is he killed his family , this is why there's a inquiry for most part , there are veterans/first responders who take their lives without hurting anyone else and no one is any more aware than the next person might hear a small piece on the news but most times not . Most times it's the families left behind to try deal with the grief and in answered questions as why it all happened , when we all perfectly know there's cracks in the system that can easily be fixed but government are tight on the purse strings to allocate funds , and waiting lists are most times months long , I personally know of people who were told could be a yr or more to get into counselling .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8854 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Just goes to show even trained Psychologists and doctor's cannot truly tell what on a person's mind unless they display emotions or actions out of the ordinary , in this case , nothing comes to show he as set out to commit a very tragic crime .

Pretty sure anyone including my self will hold a firearm they have never owned or used to see how fit and feel in weight, balance and comfort for their personal use would exhibit the same as in the video as well exhibit same motions and conversation while conducting any such type transaction.

The fact he was admitted for the night in Jan for mental distress , really should arise red flags with health professionals as to or is this person a danger to himself or the general public , those questions are not asked , if they own firearms , have such licence to obtain one .

I can possibly see changes coming to the health Care act on this as to notify police immediately about such things and then steps taken forward to then remove any such items from that person's home or property along with suspension of licencing to obtain any such firearms or ammo as a deterrent to avoid any such possible case like this again, but as most of us know if a person is set on committing a crime with firearm there are other ways to obtain them unfortunately . He just went about it the legal way with a very unsound mindset as to do what ever it took to purchase it .

Unfortunate thing here is he killed his family , this is why there's a inquiry for most part , there are veterans/first responders who take their lives without hurting anyone else and no one is any more aware than the next person might hear a small piece on the news but most times not . Most times it's the families left behind to try deal with the grief and in answered questions as why it all happened , when we all perfectly know there's cracks in the system that can easily be fixed but government are tight on the purse strings to allocate funds , and waiting lists are most times months long , I personally know of people who were told could be a yr or more to get into counselling .

X 100.....well said Walter !!  Thunder stick also made reference to the SAME scenario several times ...about a guy from his area !! Likely another case of deja vu coming down the pipes.

What always puts the stone in my craw is this >> The big response from those in the high paying jobs in the health care system is..." they fell thru the cracks" !!!

Well dummies...WHO DA F*** is keeping those cracks open ??? look in your mirrors...Our health care system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

X 100.....well said Walter !!  Thunder stick also made reference to the SAME scenario several times ...about a guy from his area !! Likely another case of deja vu coming down the pipes.

What always puts the stone in my craw is this >> The big response from those in the high paying jobs in the health care system is..." they fell thru the cracks" !!!
Well dummies...WHO DA F*** is keeping those cracks open ??? look in your mirrors...Our health care system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what clearly pisses me off Kevin , as a First Aid Mental Health Responder (Volunteer) , trained by Dept Health , there no money to fill the CRACKS till something like this takes place then all these high paid Professionals come out the wood work to give their two fkn cents cause the Government is spending MILLIONS on a INQUIRY , when those millions could easily been spent in first place to get this guy and many others the treatment they looked for and deserve .

After all he served his country and his country let him down when he came back a changed Man from what he went thru a personal hell to experience war , and his family paid the Ultimate Price !

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8854 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

YUP...same for all the front line people that gave us our freedoms that continue to save lives and rescue folk and put out the fires...they're all just a number to the gubment...when they're in need...there's NO help for them...AT ALL !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5395 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Ya cant judge a book by its cover, same with people. Stopped at a used car dealership one time to look at a nice vet. Was in work clothes driving an old wreck. The salesman wouldn’t let me test drive it! Went home jumped in the Benz and went back, didn’t change my clothes or clean up. Parked right in front of the doors to ensure they saw me. Told the salesman GFY get the manager now! Talk about red carpet after that. Roasted that vet from one end of kemp rd to the other! I did make an offer but never made a deal.

Good point about the health care system too. My only fear is if we stop selling to and take firearms away from those that have some form of mental problems where does it end. HEY DOC I GOT A HEADACHE AND COPS TAKE MY GUNS. Slippery slope guys and gals. All the boys from WW1 WW2 most likely had PTSD but survived and ya they owned guns. Really close friend of mine did 4 tours in Afghanistan and saw some pretty horrible stuff. Although he knew he was fked up he couldn’t use the free counseling for military because of the repercussions he would suffer if his superiors knew he was fked up so he went to private counseling and paid for it himself. He still suffers from his experience ( retired now ). BUT should he be disqualified from being a gun owner?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5395 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

YUP...same for all the front line people that gave us our freedoms that continue to save lives and rescue folk and put out the fires...they're all just a number to the gubment...when they're in need...there's NO help for them...AT ALL !!

Many of those front line people now lay in Flanders Fields and the rights and freedoms they fought for are gone! Legislated away.

Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 robert1

robert1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

Could be that Lionel Desmond had his mind made up already when he was in the gun store. That's why he was so calm.

#9 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the purpose of my OP.

For weeks now, the newsmedia has been reporting that Desmond had bought (legally) a "Soviet-era assault rifle" which he then used (illegally) to execute his family and suicide.

And now, in the above article, we're now being told that the rifle in question was actually a "Remington 760".

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

For weeks the News Media was Speculating , trying to show he used a "Assault Rifle " to take the lives of his family and himself , seems they got it wrong , but hey for them it's about ratings .

Maybe the news should actually try get all the facts b4 releasing such inadequate info , instead of just trying boost ratings on such a tradjic situation .

This will wind up soon and be long forgotten except for the survivors of that family that will live with the scars for the remainder of their lives .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users