Gerry Byrne Fined For Having An Un-Plugged Shotgun, After Being Named Land Resources Minister - Page 2 - NL Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Gerry Byrne Fined For Having An Un-Plugged Shotgun, After Being Named Land Resources Minister

un-plugged shotgun

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 mob

mob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationWindsor NS

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

Well this is why when we do Hunter Ed and CFSC courses I make it a point to tell everyone that they should not remove the plug and if they buy a new or used semi or pump to check that the plug is in place. Even here in NS people have been charged thinking that their shotguns met the Federal Migratory regulations when hunting ducks or geese only to learn that their firearms upon inspection did not.

I had a former student call me about 3 yrs ago, he was given a warning he was hunting grouse and woodcock the plug was missing from his father's old wingmaster.The CO at that time said the chances for a conviction were slim and he would not want to see a young hunter who was not trying to break any laws get in trouble. The CO had no problem with the plug not being in the gun if only Grouse or other NS small game were being hunted the problem as was explained to me was Woodcock being Migratory and the regulations surrounding the number of shells permitted.

So as many of you have stated do not remove the plug and if not sure check to see and replace the plug if needed. In NS and no doubt other places the Federal Migratory Regs do not always mirror the provincial regs and vice versa. A popular pheasant area down in the valley is Bellise Marsh it is also a regulated Federal Migratory bird area all hunting there must meet the Federal Regulations for non toxic shot and the carrying capacity for shotguns. There is a section in our regulation booklet that points this out. This is one of many reasons I tell people to read that booklet every year and like it or not the day is coming when for hunting small game in NS non toxic shot will be required if for no other reason then it aligns itself with the Federal Migratory Regulations. 

#22 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

Well this is why when we do Hunter Ed and CFSC courses I make it a point to tell everyone that they should not remove the plug and if they buy a new or used semi or pump to check that the plug is in place. Even here in NS people have been charged thinking that their shotguns met the Federal Migratory regulations when hunting ducks or geese only to learn that their firearms upon inspection did not.

I had a former student call me about 3 yrs ago, he was given a warning he was hunting grouse and woodcock the plug was missing from his father's old wingmaster.The CO at that time said the chances for a conviction were slim and he would not want to see a young hunter who was not trying to break any laws get in trouble. The CO had no problem with the plug not being in the gun if only Grouse or other NS small game were being hunted the problem as was explained to me was Woodcock being Migratory and the regulations surrounding the number of shells permitted.

So as many of you have stated do not remove the plug and if not sure check to see and replace the plug if needed. In NS and no doubt other places the Federal Migratory Regs do not always mirror the provincial regs and vice versa. A popular pheasant area down in the valley is Bellise Marsh it is also a regulated Federal Migratory bird area all hunting there must meet the Federal Regulations for non toxic shot and the carrying capacity for shotguns. There is a section in our regulation booklet that points this out. This is one of many reasons I tell people to read that booklet every year and like it or not the day is coming when for hunting small game in NS non toxic shot will be required if for no other reason then it aligns itself with the Federal Migratory Regulations. 

WOW no wonder we are in such a mess when the CFO doesn't know the laws. Slim chances. I guess I would have made his life hell with the issued warning. Woodcock again another BS line he gave you. I sure hope NO ONE is Teaching the kids this BS The regs are pretty clear. Oh yes on the steel shot aligns like I said heard that first in 1998 so IMO  misinformation being given out by those that should know better that it is happening soon. On the plug many are shipped new with the plug out and has to be installed by the new owner. As hard as that is for me to believe many cannot do that based on how many I still put in from time to time for people. But yes I agree with you 100% it would be simpler if installed factory and left in place but one cannot assume it is

Cheers

Shot

• non-toxic shot must be used to hunt all migratory game birds, except for woodcock.

https://www.canada.c...ova-scotia.html

Also on the fed side every province is slightly different in some areas so not really 100% the same right across canada

https://www.canada.c...-summaries.html

#23 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Some excellent points , stated , as for our booklet I read it every year cover to cover so nothing is missed out upon, I look at it this way if federal regs state one thing and provincial state another I'll follow the Federal and stay on safe side , as most times federal regs go one step above the provincial and keeps you legal on both side of the spectrum , why would someone chance it to begin with . But then again there's lots out there hunting without licences of any kind , we seen that recently in the rabbit hunting incident , where a hunter was shot and believed to be a rabbit , shooter had no firearms licence , I'd be betting man he had no small game or habitat stamp either . So as they say can't fix stupid !

As for having Firearms shipped plug installed , it's quite simple it's a person's due diligence to inspect every new or used firearm they buy to check it is safe to use , follows all laws that it falls under and know that it's been checked over for anything it may or may not need to be fixed or adjusted to use in a wildlife habitat .
Take a kid Hunting or Fishing and keep the Tradition and Passion Alive!

The Redneck is Back !

#24 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

Most I have done is because guys are either are scared to take their firearms apart or don't own snap ring plyers

I still remember the old man when I would get a new gun. He would take it all apart and say here put it back together if you want to shoot it

Different today I guess or OMG dirty grease don't touch that LOL. 

Rems have been in with the owners manual since I can remember even in the 60's when the plugs were wood

aPuotjT.jpg

#25 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationParkdale

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

I guess I am the odd man out! Back in 1967 I bought a Ithaca XL900 in 20 gauge with a 30" full choke

barrell for rabbits and grouse. Rabbits were plentiful back then and the first thing I did was pull the plug

and to this day has never been put back in. That gun has never failed me and I hunted in some

bad weather.

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#26 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

I guess I am the odd man out! Back in 1967 I bought a Ithaca XL900 in 20 gauge with a 30" full choke

barrell for rabbits and grouse. Rabbits were plentiful back then and the first thing I did was pull the plug

and to this day has never been put back in. That gun has never failed me and I hunted in some

bad weather.

They were a well made gun and one in 20ga would not last long for sale on nutz

Cheers

#27 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationParkdale

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:48 AM

It is the one gun I have never parted with  after all these years, someday I will find

somebody deserving to give it to. At 73 and very limited mobility I don't use it much anymore.

I have sold over 20 firearms in the last year on nutz. Great site.

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#28 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

It is the one gun I have never parted with  after all these years, someday I will find

somebody deserving to give it to. At 73 and very limited mobility I don't use it much anymore.

I have sold over 20 firearms in the last year on nutz. Great site.

I hear you

Yes sir it is a sad day when age makes us move some friends on. I have done the same over the past 10 years and no where I will sell or buy anymore other  than on nutz

It is painless and you get what the gun is worth with no BS most times

Take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users