Finally Found Something That Works... - Page 3 - Reloading - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Finally Found Something That Works...

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:11 AM

Salons, campgrounds, day care centers, fishing, etc. etc. are either open now or will be by the middle of June but rifle ranges are closed until at least June 30th.  Makes no sense at all because even before covid people kept their distance at ranges. It’s just a smart thing to do. 

Today I sent an email to the Premier, Minister of DLF and Deputy Minister of DLF to consider opening the ranges. Be interesting to see if I get a response. As well I left a voice message with the “Good Doctor” asking for them to be re-opened and if not what logic would there be in not re-opening now. 

Let us know if you hear back!

#42 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

Not holding my breath on hearing back from the Premier or the "Good Doc" but I did get a reply from my MLA who says he'll follow up with his "people" once again and will get back to me.  I know him well so I expect he will. His response included:

"Hi Gary,

Thank you for including me on this e-mail.  I have been in previous discussions supporting the opening of Public Rifle Ranges.  The information I received has been that is being discussed.  I will contact the government again and request an update on the reopening plan for the ranges.

I will let you know what I can find out.

Thanks,

Bill"

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#43 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1374 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

Not holding my breath on hearing back from the Premier or the "Good Doc" but I did get a reply from my MLA who says he'll follow up with his "people" once again and will get back to me.  I know him well so I expect he will. His response included:

"Hi Gary,

Thank you for including me on this e-mail.  I have been in previous discussions supporting the opening of Public Rifle Ranges.  The information I received has been that is being discussed.  I will contact the government again and request an update on the reopening plan for the ranges.

I will let you know what I can find out.

Thanks,

Bill"

Thanks for the update - that sounds promising.  :-)

#44 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5384 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

"Hi Gary,[/size]Thank you for including me on this e-mail.  I have been in previous discussions supporting the opening of Public Rifle Ranges.  The information I received has been that is being discussed.  I will contact the government again and request an update on the reopening plan for the ranges.[/size]I will let you know what I can find out.[/size]Thanks,[/size]Bill"[/size]

Sure sounds like a politician’s answer. Yep in your corner doing my best but.........
My wife got a very similar response from our MLA when she contacted her about reopening the salon. Sure she can open but not allowed to do anything around the face. 99% of her buisness is facial and skin care.
Of course our MLA did say - I have to follow the directives of the premier
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#45 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

No response from our esteem powers yet but based on our pm’s decision to march with thousands without social distancing and not all wearing masks my only assumption is that rifle ranges are wide open as long as it’s done in the form of a protest. And the more marching around the red flag at the range the better. 

#46 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:19 AM

Trudeau is the biggest hypocrite of all. We are still in the middle of a pandemic (... and I use that term VERY loosely) and we are not allowed to have family gatherings of more than 10 people. Then I see that POS in the middle of thousands that are protesting. Again ... all he is doing is gathering more votes. I’m surprised he didn’t paint his face black to go marching !!!  What a POS.

#47 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:25 AM

Trudeau is the biggest hypocrite of all. We are still in the middle of a pandemic (... and I use that term VERY loosely) and we are not allowed to have family gatherings of more than 10 people. Then I see that POS in the middle of thousands that are protesting. Again ... all he is doing is gathering more votes. I’m surprised he didn’t paint his face black to go marching !!!  What a POS.

Bingo and some here still think he is stupid

Way more gained than lost

Only one I seen upset was that twit Scheer. Glad something got him to open his mouth

Cheers

#48 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:29 PM

no thinking about it....HE IS !  

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#49 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5384 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

What a terrible pandemic too:
CDC released the numbers couple weeks ago. Covid death rate less then .05%. 85% of those whom had it didn’t even realize they had it. No one with out underlying health issue died from covid. Locked down for two + months for nothing!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#50 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:26 AM

What a terrible pandemic too:
CDC released the numbers couple weeks ago. Covid death rate less then .05%. 85% of those whom had it didn’t even realize they had it. No one with out underlying health issue died from covid. Locked down for two + months for nothing!

Who gave you that crap. Trump sad.png

#51 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

....... so Rob I received a response this morning from the Minister of Lands & Forestry. It's the answer I kinda expected but didn't cost me anything to ask instead of sitting on my arse I guess. 

................................. and at least it's an answer instead of being ignored. 

Dear xxxxxx (Mr. Magoo),

I am responding to your email of June 2, 2020, regarding the reopening of provincial firearm ranges.

During this pandemic, we will continue to listen to advice from public health as they determine when it is safe to open access to parks, beaches and natural areas of the province.  We recognize that this is a difficult time for Nova Scotians.  However, the measures in place are necessary to stop the spread of COVID-19.

The government is currently developing plans to reopen not only the firearm ranges, but other public services under the Department’s mandate.  Once these plans are finalized, they will be communicated to the public.

Sincerely,

Original signed by

Iain Rankin

Minister of Lands and Forestry

#52 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1374 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

Yea, no surprises there - just a form letter where they fill in whatever the person asked about.  :-)

Thanks!

#53 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

....... so Premier Rrrrrr has a news conference scheduled for noon today to announce he’ll be waving his wand and easing more restrictions.  

Could opening the ranges for be one of them?? 

#54 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

just got an email from our club yesterday.....JULY 1ST....RE-OPENING  !!!!!

CAN'T WAIT TO SMELL SOME BURNT POWDER  !!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  FEKKIN  HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  !!!!!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#55 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:15 AM

just got an email from our club yesterday.....JULY 1ST....RE-OPENING  !!!!!

CAN'T WAIT TO SMELL SOME BURNT POWDER  !!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  FEKKIN  HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  !!!!!!!

I am done. Did the last two before the heat ramped up. One note, I was firing some Winchester reloads. Those same cases that I had found some cracked. I used all those that were good, but after firing the other day I did find one case that was cracked. I had marked them as one time use only. They will be dumped after this firing. One thing though they were extremely accurate.

#56 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

Here you go Rob :  Rifle Ranges opening July 1st with bookings starting this Monday, June 22

Ian Rankin let me access the system so I'm already booked. 

#57 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1374 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:45 PM

Here you go Rob :  Rifle Ranges opening July 1st with bookings starting this Monday, June 22

Ian Rankin let me access the system so I'm already booked. 

FINALLY!  ha ha

Thanks!

#58 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1374 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

Hi!  An update on progress (does anyone care?  ha ha)

I got back to the range yesterday afternoon.  It was a good day, overcast, cool, light wind pretty much into my face.  All good except for the horseflies.  If anyone goes to chester, prep for the bastards!  I was worried I wouldn't be able to settle down because of them but after I took the time to kill 2 they left me alone (pretty much) afterwards.  I guess I got the two who had the 100 yard bench as their territory!  ha ha

So I took a lot of the advice from this thread with me.  I loaded 4 weights in 2 gr inc starting 2 under max (if you read above you'll see why).  I went up to 4 over max *gulp*   :-)  I loaded each weight in hornady SST 165 and sierra tipped game in 165.  I loaded 4 of each type for a total of 32.

With the hornady 165 my best was at max with .75 moa (this was also my best last time).  .2 over and under were 1" so for the hornady that seems to be it.

The sierra were a bit of a surprise - my gun hated them!  5" - 7" groups at every weight!  I'll was assuming they would be the same as the SST and be the best near max - wrong!  ha ha   I haven't given up on them, I'll load some with the sierra at lower weights and see if i can find something my gun likes.  

I also decided while shooting that I want to try some 180s.  Since my gun hates 150s and got better with 165s I am wondering if it will like the 180s....?

I have never heard of such a picky gun!  Also I am finding it really surprising at how such small changes change the impact area so much!

At the end I had 5 factory (Fed prem 165s) which are the only factory ones I found it liked and I shot them "just because"  It was a pretty good group with 4 @ .75 MOA and with the 5th (which was the first shot) 1.25 MOA.

A question for anyone with ideas, I have found that almost always my first shot (I let it cool between groups) it outside of my group, usually a tough high & left.  Other than firing a shot into the air before I start does anyone have any hints?  when I got the gun the stock was touching the barrel on one side, but I fixed that so it's totally free floating now.  Is there something else that would cause the first shot to go off like that or is it "just the way the barrel heats up"?

I got some sandbags and tried them this time instead of the bipod - way better!  I like them a lot - good purchase!

Thanks for all of the hints and ideas - I have been trying to use them as they come in as you guys know way more than I!  :-)

A bit of an explanation of what I am targeting - I have fired other guns (not mine sadly) consistently at 1/2 MOA at 100 yards so I consider that my ability level with a hunting style rifle (I've never shot a real target gun).  I want to get the point where I either feel like I am the weak link (ie: the gun is shooting better than I can) or I think I've got the gun to it's best and that's it.  I haven't hit either of those yet which is why I am still fiddling.  Clearly a .75MOA combo is more than fine for a hunting gun so I am just developing for fun & learning now.  :-)

Rob

#59 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

Well now that is surprising to hear about the sierras!!

I am hoping you forgot to add the decimals in your numbers? Lol. I just about collapsed when I read 4 grains over max!!!!!!

I think you’re onto a good plan so I don’t have much more to add. But I will speak to the first shot flyer you’re experiencing. You may hear some people start saying it’s a “cold bore shot” that goes different. It’s rubbish. Two possibilities for a first shot going astray: 1 if the barrel and chamber is newly cleaned it will very likely change the point of impact. Obviously that’s not the issue as you said this happened from group to group, unless your swabbing between groups? 2 it’s you, unfortunately. Lol. No sugar coating.

The term cold bore shot should be changed to “cold shooter shot”. It just means that you weren’t perfectly set up. It’s a lot easier to notice when shooting a string of semi auto fire as you don’t move between them at all. With a bolt gun you move between shots anyway. But what is going on is that you’re not perfectly naturally aligned and after the initial shots you’re getting settled in.

What you can do next time is part of the marksmanship training we give our guys on the army rifle team called natural alignment. This can be done as practice dry but also can be done with the rifle loaded and ready to fire your group.

Get in your firing position and once you are aimed and set close both eyes for a few seconds and relax (still holding as if you’re going to fire). Now open your eye and look through the site. Is your crosshair still exactly where you had it aimed? Don’t be surprised if it isn’t. What happens is that without your visual input your body relaxes to where it naturally is holding the rifle. Your subconscious mind will make your muscles “push” the rifle onto target when you’re aiming. This push will translate into a stray shot.

The answer is to do that trick, and then when you open your eye and see the crosshair off target DO NOT just move the gun back on target. You need to shift your body to lay the crosshair back on. It can be something dramatic like scootching over a bit or it can be as subtle as moving one elbow a quarter inch. Make the adjustment, settle in, close eyes, open and see where you’re at. Continue this “test and adjust” until when you open your eyes the crosshair is still naturally on target. We call this marksmanship principle 2: the weapon and body must be naturally aligned to the target without any undo stress.

I know it’s sounds complicated but once you try it you’ll see it really is simple. The more you do it the quicker it gets and you will be closer to naturally aligned from the start as you continue on.

Make sure you include everything in your shooting posture in the test. Such as how you grip the rifle, how you breath, how you pull the rifle to your shoulder etc.

Good luck!
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#60 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

If it was only your first shot or group of the whole day doing it I would have suggested bringing a .22 with you to shoot a bunch first. Sometimes getting some trigger time prior to testing large caliber groups can get you in the zone so to speak.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users