#1 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:41 PM

My buddy Pete just sent me this photo of his new rifle. Looks like something that you'd go to war with...LOL

After I made fun of him he explained why he go it. 

2JG6Ss8.jpg

PETE"S EMAIL

Typically these are only used as a ‘bench’ rifle to play with as a hobby but I figure if it’ll work on a bench it should work well in a field as well. 1000 yds is well within the range of this caliber and this Savage 110 Precision has a lot of built in features that usually only comes with custom, more expensive rifles. Last year Nick’s .270 wasn’t quite enough to drop the elk quickly at 470yds; this .338 Lapua Mag is more than enough at 500yds and even plenty at 1000 yds to drop an elk or moose. Out of respect for the animal I want to do everything I can to reduce the risk of wounding an animal and ensuring enough punch is part of that.

You guys should come over this fall to give it a try? At $10/shot we’ll have to make every shot count! Hahaha!

Stay home, safe and healthy!

Miss you guys!

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:52 AM

Wicked lookin gun Dave ! Those chasis's are designed to be damn near indestructible, while never altering or warping from humidity. Rock solid platform on the benches too. The pistol grip, like the thumbhole are much more ergonomic and comfortable to shoot. Tell Pete to save his brass and take up reloading, then he can afford to have all his friends come out and miss a few....LMAO !!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:11 AM

That is one fine looking rifle. I used to work with a guy that had one. He said it was fun to shoot but very expensive. Definitely reloading is the way to go. 

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1280 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:28 AM

definitely reach out and touch with that caliber

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#5 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:45 AM

Its funny when I was looking for a new rifle I kept coming across ones I liked but they were in a chassis like that.  

I'm like you Pete, I'd feel foolish pulling something like that out to go deer hunting.  ha ha

It's all personal preference of course, I'd feel foolish with a pick camo stock too....  ;-)

Rob

#6 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2580 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:03 AM

Sweet looking rifle, and I bet it's accurate, I wonder how much it weighs?

338 Lapua is quite the caliber, it will stop pretty much anything.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#7 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:13 AM

Nice rifle i hope Pete can afford to practice with it cause if he can't get a vitals shot with a 270 at 470yrds hows he goin to do it with that and i hope Petes in shape cause IT WEIGHS AROUND 11-13 LbS lol.Have fun humping that in the hills chasen elk no offence meant but caliber don't make a shooter practicing regularily at the distance your goin to shoot at in the weather you hunt in improves your ability to hit a target.So if Pete missis the vitals with this caliber he's goin to waiste alot of meat but it is a nice caliber and chasis that savage is makin for the civey market...

#8 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

Pete was referring to his son Nick. Neither one of them have had any problems taking their yearly quota of muleys, white tail, moose and elk over the past several years using a variety of high caliber rifles, bows, and crossbows.

Pete was referring to this elk that Nick shot at 470 yards. He brought it down but it took 2 rounds and he did hit it with both rounds.

LsaQtWx.jpg

His oldest son Brad (directly below) took this elk a couple of years ago.

MI3xB9c.jpg

cyt0pqj.jpg

Based on what I know about their success in hunting over the past 5 years I don’t think that he really ‘NEEDS’ this gun. But as somebody mentioned, it is a very sweet rifle and I’m sure that he will enjoy seeing what it can do.

This item that I posted 6 years ago describes Pete and Nick’s very first hunt in Alberta a few months after they had moved there. A good testimonial to how committed they are when they hunt. They’ve come a long way since then.

https://www.novascot...n-alberta-hunt/

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  envious right now....wub.png wub.png wub.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:31 PM

LOL...so am I Kevin...!!!

And to make things worse Pete had to send me this photo a couple of weeks ago. This moose is between his house and garage. His house lot borders a farm where he has permission to hunt.

so0KVlN.jpg

And he included this photo of his wife and him processing steaks with the band saw. Him and his two sons haven't had to buy beef since they've moved to Alberta. Between the 3 of them they generally end up with 1 or 2 moose, 2 or 3 elk, and several white tails and muleys. They always freeze their meat in large chunks and process it as needed.

Pteaqor.jpg

He had sent me this picture of his smoker along with his recipe a while back. I'll post the recipe on the Wild Game Recipe Forum. Man, it must be nice to have all that meat to do with as you please...!!!

lbb7K9r.png

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:36 AM

MANNNNN....that deserves a HOLLEEEE....FAAAAK !!  TWO vacuum sealers on the go...lol....ANNNNND In that smoker Looks scrumptious !

Dave...that's how my bud used to process our deer few yrs back...freeze the quarters whole...cut em on the band saw...thick / thin what ever tickled your pallet ! Vacuum seal them as we went along...one quarter at a time.

Toughest job was cleaning up all the hamburger and bone dust from UNDER the saw...lol

#12 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:35 AM

I'm droolin over that smoker Petes a lucky guy for having the ability to harvest all those differant animals he ain't goin hungery during the pandemic lol....

#13 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:02 AM

Wow!

#14 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

Pete sent me this message to-day...

Hi Dave,

I finally got the motivation to build the old 303 British I started about nine years ago. I carved the stock out of a block of oak back then and with Brad wanting to take a rifle to Gjoa Haven I thought this old 303 British would fit the bill and he can leave it there for an elder if he likes. I re-blued all the metal too. Looks pretty decent. Hope all is well with you guys!

Miss you guys. 

Pete

2ZoeWM9.jpg

Gjoa Haven is located around 250 km above the Arctic Circle pretty much in the middle of the Northwest Passage. Brad will be starting his first year of teaching there in September. The 303 is likely the ideal rifle to bring. Constant sub zero temps...salt water...snow...and travel by wheelers and snowmobiles. If something happens to it , it's no big loss. Yet, it can bring down any game that you want. 

I'm not sure what type of game is hunted there..likely caribou, seals, and muskox ???!! Will likely get a few photos when he starts hunting.

#15 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1317 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

That stock is a work of art!  :-)  I am amazed that was carved by hand!

#16 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8732 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

ol Pete is a man of many talents !! Looks amazing Dave !

****I would caution him of using  a scope with a contained battery..on any extended hunt, esp in frigid temps,  could freeze it and split it open...only to leak the contents out when acclimatized again to room temps

#17 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

That is one sweet looking .303

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users