#1 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:50 PM

I see they are going ahead with the CB moose draw this season and I believe there’s a total of 320 tags up for grabs.  

................ so the good news is -   I’m not applying so more chance for you lucky buggers. 

After 150 years of not being drawn for the CB moose hunt I’ll be heading over to NL to climb a few hills in the Long Range Mountains. 

Giddy up and good luck to anyone who hasn’t been drawn for the CB hunt after applying for at least 25 years.  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#2 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5091 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

I must admit, I am somewhat shocked there is a hunt this year after the doom and gloom report last year on population numbers. I honestly doubt we'll be hunting at all this fall given the current situation. At this point, I've lost count on how many years I have been applying now.33 maybe? Got to go as a companion a couple seasons ago and it was a horrible experience. We should have forgone a guide and went ourselves. At least we would have actually got to hunt. But what's done is done ,as they say. Undecided wether I will apply or not.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#3 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:07 AM

Not applying, good luck to everyone who does though.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#4 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5506 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

I see they are going ahead with the CB moose draw this season and I believe there’s a total of 320 tags up for grabs.  
................ so the good news is -   I’m not applying so more chance for you lucky buggers. 

After 150 years of not being drawn for the CB moose hunt I’ll be heading over to NL to climb a few hills in the Long Range Mountains. 

Giddy up and good luck to anyone who hasn’t been drawn for the CB hunt after applying for at least 25 years.

And I thought you were only 141 yrs old
Good luck in NFLD!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#5 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

I will apply ... again. My step son got drawn last year and only his 2nd or 3rd year applying. He got drawn in the non motorized zone. I was a companion hunter. We had a guide ... and was overall ... a good experience ... except we had to pack a big bull 12km on our backs to the base camp. ... then we had a hand cart to take it the remaining 7km to the truck. Very gruelling endeavour .... but we all agreed that we would do it again. Better chances in the non motorized zone ... but the moose numbers are down !!!! Not sure how long the moose population can withstand this. Changes need to be made. Both native and non native need to come together and figure out a solution before it’s too late.

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10830 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

Like Nomad I have been putting in since the year after the first draw so 30 plus years also

Not this year however. Just won't have the cash to go even if I got a tag. Be lucky to payback that huge greenhouse bill looking at me

Good luck to those that do

Take care

#7 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1797 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:57 AM

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I would like to have the opportunity to go on the dream hunt for ns but I just found out yesterday that my hunting buddy had stomach and bowel cancer surgery over the weekend,an unexpected shock.
Second thought is that I'd get drawn to go and then they decide to cancel the hunt after I hand out money to secure a guide and lodging.
Last thought was that I'd just be tossing my money into the same hole as the other 20+ years.

With everything going on I'll see what happens in the next few weeks as I've got a month to decide
can i go hunting yet??

#8 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

I called a guide in Nfld last year for a price of a hunt lets just say im puttin in for our draw this year and im gettin a guide if i win lol cause i aint goin to Nfld....

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10830 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

I called a guide in Nfld last year for a price of a hunt lets just say im puttin in for our draw this year and im gettin a guide if i win lol cause i aint goin to Nfld....

I can just imagine what it is now. I went twice the last time in 2002 and it was like 3500 each total by the time I got home for a group of three of us

Not much of a hunt 20 minutes and it was all over sad.png for me and I don't care their moose is not as good tasting as CB moose

take care

Oh yes had to go to NW this morning and 7 deer in the field where you sad

One was huge

I was shocked Nomad was not set up at the bridge to keep me out LOL

#10 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:18 PM

This yr I'm applying , no guide for me tho , I'll stay on the Wreck cove area if picked , that's where I'm focusing , wife was even asking me if I'll apply this yr . If picked I'll call on my son to take time for vac to companion with me , he was successful in N.B last yr while a companion . I've got another 2 guys in mind for third and forth party .
What the hell it's over 30 yrs might get lucky
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#11 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

This yr I'm applying , no guide for me tho , I'll stay on the Wreck cove area if picked , that's where I'm focusing , wife was even asking me if I'll apply this yr . If picked I'll call on my son to take time for vac to companion with me , he was successful in N.B last yr while a companion . I've got another 2 guys in mind for third and forth party .
What the hell it's over 30 yrs might get lucky

Good plan staying away from the other area of the island with all the shenanigans 

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#12 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

I can just imagine what it is now. I went twice the last time in 2002 and it was like 3500 each total by the time I got home for a group of three of us

Not much of a hunt 20 minutes and it was all over sad.png for me and I don't care their moose is not as good tasting as CB moose

take care

One was huge

You were fortunate Joe. A 20 minute hunt anywhere is considered lucky. At the outfit I went to last year half the clients didn’t get a moose and 2 didn’t even see one. Just not the same as almost 20 years ago. 

Same with woodland caribou over there. 20 years ago the population was close to 100,000 and now approx 30,000 and very few tags to be had. 

As far as their moose not being as good as CB moose I’ll take your word for it but the NL moose tastes a damn site better then no moose.  Never had the opportunity for a CB moose and probably never will. Don’t think they’ll ever do like other jurisdictions and base tag opportunities on how many times you’ve applied without being successful, etc. etc. 

Oh yes, there’s a young fella around here who gets his CB moose every year....... just knows the right group of people to help him out. ....................  used to pi*s me off but hey that’s just the way it’s always going to be. The powers to be, don’t and won’t change the “system”.  

Again good luck to the guys and gals who have been applying for 25 plus years without getting a sniff - hope you get the golden ticket. 

#13 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5091 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:49 PM

I dare say, not many will be in good enough financial shape to go this year regardless. It's likely most of the usual applicants are currently laid off.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#14 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:46 AM

Apparently they are tacking an extra week on to the end of the season. They won’t be happy until the moose are wiped out completely.

#15 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

take care

One was huge

Almost 9000 i was thinkin 5 but i was wrong lol

#16 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1724 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

Holy crap Batman -  $9,000 !  ........ you sure you weren’t talking with a guide in Alaska or Northern BC?  

You can definitely can a NL moose hunt for under $5,000. Includes the week at the camp, food, guide, etc.   

#17 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

I will be entering the NS moose draw just as long as it is still going.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#18 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

hmmm...

https://www.cbc.ca/n...7Or_1GVK5XYdgyA

#19 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:12 AM

“Increased substantially” !!!  We can only hope.

#20 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

Someone explain the logic. The past three winters in the highlands have been down right brutal with many moose deaths, yet the population is growing? Must sell licenses. Imagine those applying after 30 years get drawn, then the second wave of the virus shuts it downohmy.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users