#41 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2263 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:53 PM

Extra surveys lol . must flew Ray around for few more passes lol .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#42 elitexlr

elitexlr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

You guys have it spot on. The whole population estimate is a sham. DLF did have 3 A Star helicopters on site conducting an aerial survey during the month of March. I believe it was the week of March 8th to March 15th.

I can promise you, if you were able to speak with any of the pilots or personnel on board, they would sing a different tune contrary to that of the DLF and the Federation.

As said numerous times in the past, the province won’t be happy until the last moose has been sold.

#43 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:15 PM

My guess of half cows to half bulls is most certainly not a very accurate one. Lol. It also doesn’t take into account age. I don’t think they break up their population estimate by age category do they? If there were 1300 total then a fair percentage wouldn’t even be breeding age anyway. Also a percentage would be too old for breeding. So that slims down the number of fertile cows even further.

Wait...!!! I have it!!! They must have had about 1000 moose swim over from Newfoundland!! That has to be what happened!!
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#44 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

It's done by magic just like the money the "Tiny Dancer" is creating -  poof!  After looking at the stats that 3macs1 added your estimate of 650 cows is high. Just do the math.

1.)  of that 1300 moose population DLF are saying that 198 tags were filled (round that off to 200 for the ones who didn't report yet). 

2.)  a conservative number taken by natives would easily be 200  (by the way do they need to report their kills)???????

3.)  poachers (native / non-native) I assume would easily take 200  (something tells me they don't report their kills).  

So Dave take 600 moose away from that 1300 they counted last year & my math says there should be 700 moose. Then your assumption that 1/2 are cows and now you have 350 breeding moose. 

But the new count is 2200-2300 according to the NSFA&H who say DFL did "extra" surveying.  What the h*ll does "extra" surveying mean????  Hummmmm I guess we're not capable of discerning "extra" survey results so it's best not to release the info to the commoners. Was last year's surveying techniques incorrect?  Not for us to know I guess.

So again Dave these 350 "very healthy" cows increased the herd from 700 to 2300 moose!  Wow an extra 1600 moose which means on average the cows had on 4 calves!   Poof !!

As I said in my first post good luck to everyone who haven't been drawn for at least 25 years  - at least you'll see more moose now.  

They counted the herd twice and added the totals to get a satisfactory number to support a general moose season. Of course if the numbers went critical then they might have to cry ENDANGERED and that would shut down the general season and ALL hunting. Seeing as they wanted to reduce the numbers anyways why not lie about it and let nature take it's extinctive course.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#45 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

1st- it's about selling licences , they don't care if your successfully harvested or not !

2nd -can't say the numbers are too low and almost endangered , cause certain groups will say no matter what we have our rights to hunt , others will cry fowl !

3rd- shutting it all down will only cause more poaching , worse than going on to begin with !

4th- having the numbers decimated to point of non return or to point if very few will stop the OVER BROWSING AND HIGH ABUNDANCE IN THE PARK !

5th they won't have to fly around certain groups in TAX PAYERS Choppers to curtail a extra season for those who cried did not harvest enough !

6th -oh yes let's not forget the certain groups who guide or provide services in certain areas that become a peverbeal chitt storm every yr it they don't get hired and careless if successful !

7th -just as we all know once they are extinct or to a point of endangered beyond the next 10-30 recovery rate of stable numbers for hunt again , most if not all on here or across the province will be dead or to old to hunt and owning a firearm will be thing of the past sadly , then if indeed they can put hunt in again . It very well may become civilized that everyone can hunt properly !

Last point , there will be NO SAME GROUPS OF PEOPLE OR SAME GUYS GOING YR AFTER YR WHILE OTHERS WHO LIKE MYSELF ARE CRAWLING ON THE 30 YR MARK TRYING TO OBTAIN A LICENCE HERE ON THE CAPE .
Take a kid Hunting or Fishing and keep the Tradition and Passion Alive!

The Redneck is Back !

#46 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

I contributed my two entry fees to the cause. Last fall ... we hunted close to the park in zone 5, very deep in the bush ... and only 2 cows and a bull were spotted. The bull came home with us. Moose were few and far between !!

#47 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

I contributed my two entry fees to the cause. Last fall ... we hunted close to the park in zone 5, very deep in the bush ... and only 2 cows and a bull were spotted. The bull came home with us. Moose were few and far between !!

“very deep in the bush”. Did u quarter the bull and carry it out?  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#48 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

Magoo ... we were approximately 18km ??? ... from the truck and trailer. The moose was boned out and put in game bags and hung in trees for over night. (Some was brought out to the base camp the same day). We made the trek back in the next day and put the rest on pack frames. There were 5 of us ( guide included), and packed it out around 10 km to the “game tent”. The day after that .. .. we put it on a wagon and took it down off the mountain, along with all our gear. It was a GRUELLING adventure.... but one we would do all over again.

#49 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

Magoo ... we were approximately 18km ??? ... from the truck and trailer. The moose was boned out and put in game bags and hung in trees for over night. (Some was brought out to the base camp the same day). We made the trek back in the next day and put the rest on pack frames. There were 5 of us ( guide included), and packed it out around 10 km to the “game tent”. The day after that .. .. we put it on a wagon and took it down off the mountain, along with all our gear. It was a GRUELLING adventure.... but one we would do all over again.

Cool - that would be quite a hunt for sure!

I wasn’t going to put in the draw but now considering applying for a Zone 5 hunt Dec. 8-10th. Would be quite a challenge but I think I would be up for it so better now than later.

May need to take a pack mule or Tripple D  unsure.png    Although I have about as much chance drawing a tag as Nomad voting for the “Tiny Dancer”. 

#50 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2368 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:22 AM

I wasn’t going to put in the draw but now considering applying for a Zone 5 hunt Dec. 8-10th. Would be quite a challenge but I think I would be up for it so better now than later.

May need to take a pack mule or Tripple D  unsure.png    Although I have about as much chance drawing a tag as Nomad voting for the “Tiny Dancer”. 

biathlon 

#51 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5219 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:19 AM

May need to take a pack mule or Tripple D  :unsure:    Although I have about as much chance drawing a tag as Nomad voting for the “Tiny Dancer”.

Zones one and five are restricted to young fellas like me!
Or hockey players
Good luck but what would you do with one Nfld moose and another from the cape?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#52 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:34 AM

DDD ... I agree that zone 5 should be left to the young fellas. I was 53 and “not in the best shape” when we embarked on our mountain climb and hunting excursion. I tried to do some work on the treadmill and stepper before the hunt. It might have helped. I don’t think anything could have prepped me for that hunt. Walking 25 km per day through bogs, conditions you real fast !! When I put that pack of meat on my back ... I will admit ... I didn’t think I could do it. We took many breaks and ate a lot of protein, and got it done. 

#53 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

DDD ... I agree that zone 5 should be left to the young fellas. I was 53 and “not in the best shape” when we embarked on our mountain climb and hunting excursion. I tried to do some work on the treadmill and stepper before the hunt. It might have helped. I don’t think anything could have prepped me for that hunt. Walking 25 km per day through bogs, conditions you real fast !! When I put that pack of meat on my back ... I will admit ... I didn’t think I could do it. We took many breaks and ate a lot of protein, and got it done. 

How was your neck from looking up and up and up when walking

Cheers

#54 collgan

collgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

We had a very similar experience. 30KM on the last day to haul the meat to the wagon (multiple trips) then out to the truck.  the weather was terrible in 4 days we had 1.5 days without rain. 

The zone 5 hunt was absolutely incredible. It was everything I dreamed about and was really in disbelief we have hunting like that in NS.  I hope that I get that opportunity again.  

#55 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1280 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

We had a very similar experience. 30KM on the last day to haul the meat to the wagon (multiple trips) then out to the truck.  the weather was terrible in 4 days we had 1.5 days without rain. 

The zone 5 hunt was absolutely incredible. It was everything I dreamed about and was really in disbelief we have hunting like that in NS.  I hope that I get that opportunity again.  

Did you have a guide?

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#56 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

Now that’s a hike! 

#57 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

I’m trying to walk 10 km. a day and doing steep hills getting ready for NL.  But those bogs do a number on your quads and thighs. Drinking lots of water help avoid legs cramps at night. 

#58 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Good luck but what would you do with one Nfld moose and another from the cape?

Same thing you would do smile.png ............. and besides I would be sharing the CB moose with some companions. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users