#1 Gumshoe

Gumshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationZone 109

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:34 AM

Hey gang. I'm a Nova scotia boy who recently moved to Ontario and had the opportunity to tag my first Turkey. If you havent, definitely put it on your bucket list. I've got a picture that Kent Cartridge shared on their Facebook page, if you could show your support by CLICKING the picture and giving it a like I could be in the running for some prizes. Thanks!

https://m.facebook.c...9573539/?type=3

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11146 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

That is great so nice to see. Thanks for sharing. Did you have to take their turkey course to get a licence still

I did when I went up to hunt with a brother when he lived in Brockville but that was a few years ago

Take care

#3 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

Done. How about sharing your story with those of us here back home who can only dream about a NS turkey hunt. Maybe my grand kids might get a chance, who knows. Congrats and thanks. 

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#4 Gumshoe

Gumshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationZone 109

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

Hey.

No turkey course required now since 2017. They teach it in their basic hunters safety. My NS license transferred directly over and I didnt require any extra training.

I had ordered a pot call from PVS calls. Owned and recommended by a friend of a friend. I received it a couple weeks before the start of the season. Enough time to practice to be able to muster a basic yelp, cluck and purr. I was driving my wife nuts with the practicing, haha.

I reached out to a contact here who is a well established turkey hunter and used to guide turkeys and Waterfowl. I was looking at getting avian x turkey decoys and he let me know that the flextone is now owned by the same people and mold is copied. So I picked up a single upright hen decoy on sale at Sail for $50.99, compared to the 109.99 avian for basically the same decoy!

I had gone a couple times previously, seen some turkeys not never had anything responding to calls like you see on TV. Some gobbles on the roost but not much else through the morning.

On Sunday I had the opportunity to go out again and got to the area I had been seeing a few turkeys. A property where they excavate peet soil. Instead of hiding in some brush part way in the open I managed to creep into the treeline and sit well before legal light. As the morning woods started to come to life the normal gobbles and yelps I had been hearing on a nearby tree weren't there. Instead a few hundred yards down the treeline I could hear him gobbling.

I sat still for as long as I could, hoping maybe a quiet subordinate jake or Tom would slip through the woods by me. However nothing seemed close, but the gobbling was constant down the treeline and sounded like it had worked it's way onto a soil flat. At 7 AM I crept to the treeline and peered down the treeline. It was a ways down, and if he hadn't been in full strut and moving around the 3 or 4 hens around him I wouldn't have seen them.

Fortunately for me the soil had been excavated so much there was a 10-15 yard bank down to the bottom from the treeline. I dropped 80 yards into the woods and then started to parallel the treeline to get closer, but plenty out of sight and sound. As I got closer I was guided by the repeated gobbling to know where to cut back to the treeline, without having to pop my head up and peak, possibly spooking the birds. It wasnt just the gobbler I was worries about, but the many eyes and senses of all the hens working the same area.

Once I got closer to the treeline I slowed down, making sure not to snap any branches. It had rained overnight which dampened the leaves and prevent loud crunching that would have certainly alerted them. About 10 yards from the treeline I dropped to all fours and crawled to the edge of the bank. The brush at the edge was fairly thick, and all though I could see him, it was too dense and he was too far away to consider shooting. Approximately 60 yards from the treeline.

I waited laying prone for what seemed like forever, hoping he would come closer, but he didn't. It was probably only 5-10 minutes. That's when I remembered I had a turkey call. I had been mesmerized but his spitting and drumming and didnt even think about it. I was still very close. I fumbled trying to get the striker out of my vest. I gave the slightest of yelps, maybe 5 in a row and then stopped. His neck extended up and he began looking directly into the bushes towards me. Still too dense to make me out. The hens that were there hadn't paid him any attention. He didn't run or charge in. Just gently working closer until he was 40 yards away. At this range I wanted to shoot but didnt have a shot. I thought briefly about standing up to shoot over the denser low level brush but knew they would immediately bust out and I'd get a 50 yard shot at moving tail feathers at best.

I noticed a hole in the brush a little to the right with a clear path to the soil bottom. The Tom had began started working left to right towards it. I steadied my barrel at the opening and waited. He hadn't stepped into that window for 2 seconds when I fired. Birds began jumping up and flying away in every direction. Half expecting to see the tom flying away I was extremely excited to see him give a couple flops until he stopped, laying there on the soil.

I was excited, but as I looked over the edge of the bank there was a large 8 foot wide ditch and nowhere to cross. I almost tried to cross but it was murky and couldnt see how deep it was. I scurried all the way back to where I initially entered the woods so I could cross and then all the way back to the bird

There he was. Much more than I could have hoped for. I said from the start I would harvest the first legal bird I could. It just so happened that my first bird ended up being a beautiful tom, with a nearly 10 inch beard, large 1 1/4inch spurs and almost weighing 20 pounds.

I've already had the opportunity to prepare turkey tenders(new family favorite), hot turkey sandwiches and a breast cooked in the sous vide. All the remaining meat vacuum sealed and stored for many more meals. In the gizzard there was a bunch of pebbles and corn. As it was wet here last fall lots of corn fields weren't taken off until this spring.

I'll be back to the turkeys woods, the gobbling raises the hair on the back of my neck and if you haven't tried it yet then put it on your bucket list!

https://www.instagra...d=1s1xqyf4zbm2v

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

#5 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:35 PM

Hey.

No turkey course required now since 2017. They teach it in their basic hunters safety. My NS license transferred directly over and I didnt require any extra training.

I had ordered a pot call from PVS calls. Owned and recommended by a friend of a friend. I received it a couple weeks before the start of the season. Enough time to practice to be able to muster a basic yelp, cluck and purr. I was driving my wife nuts with the practicing, haha.

I reached out to a contact here who is a well established turkey hunter and used to guide turkeys and Waterfowl. I was looking at getting avian x turkey decoys and he let me know that the flextone is now owned by the same people and mold is copied. So I picked up a single upright hen decoy on sale at Sail for $50.99, compared to the 109.99 avian for basically the same decoy!

I had gone a couple times previously, seen some turkeys not never had anything responding to calls like you see on TV. Some gobbles on the roost but not much else through the morning.

On Sunday I had the opportunity to go out again and got to the area I had been seeing a few turkeys. A property where they excavate peet soil. Instead of hiding in some brush part way in the open I managed to creep into the treeline and sit well before legal light. As the morning woods started to come to life the normal gobbles and yelps I had been hearing on a nearby tree weren't there. Instead a few hundred yards down the treeline I could hear him gobbling.

I sat still for as long as I could, hoping maybe a quiet subordinate jake or Tom would slip through the woods but my. However nothing seemed close, but the gobbling was constant down the treeline and sounded like it had worked it's way onto a soil flat. At 7 AM I crept to the treeline and peered down the treeline. It was a ways down, and if he hadn't been in full strut and moving around the 3 or 4 hens around him I wouldn't have seen them.

Fortunately for me the soil had been excavated so much there was a 10-15 yard bank down to the bottom from the treeline. I dropped 80 yards into the woods and then started to parallel the treeline to get closer, but plenty out of sight and sound. As I got closer I was guided by the repeated gobbling to know where to cut back to the treeline, without having to pop my head up and peak, possibly spooking the birds. It wasnt just the gobbler I was worries about, but the many eyes and senses of all the hens working the same area.

Once I got closer to the treeline I slowed down, making sure not to snap any branches. It had rained overnight which dampened the leaves and prevent loud crunching that would have certainly alerted them. About 10 yards from the treeline I dropped to all fours and crawled to the edge of the bank. The brush at the edge was fairly think, and all though I could see him, it was too dense and he was too far away to consider shooting. Approximately 60 yards from the treeline.

I waiting laying prone for what seemed like forever, hoping he would come closer, but he didn't. It was probably only 5-10 minutes. That's when I remembered I had a turkey call. I had been mesmerized but his spitting and drumming and didnt even think about it. I was still very close. I fumbled trying to get the striker out of my vest. I have a slightest of yelps, maybe 5 in a row and then stopped. His neck extended up and he began looking directly into the bushes towards me. Still too dense to make me out. Then hens that were there hadn't paid him any attention. He didn't run or charge in. Just gently working closer until he was 40 yards away. At this range I wanted to shoot but didnt have a shot. I thought briefly about standing up to shoot over the denser low level brush but knew they would immediately bust out and I'd get a 50 yard shot at moving tail feathers at best.

I noticed a hole in the brush a little to the right with a clear path to the spil bottom. The Tom had began started working left to right towards it. I steadied my barrel at the opening and waited. He hadn't stepped into that window for 2 seconds when I fired. Birds began jumping up and flying away in every direction. Half expecting to see the tom flying away I was extremely excited to see him give a couple flops until he stopped, laying there on the soil.

I was excited, but as I looked over the edge of the bank there was a large 8 foot wide ditch and nowhere to cross. I almost tried to cross but it was murky and couldnt see how deep it was. I scurried all the way back to where I initially entered the woods so I could cross and then all the way back to the bird

There he was. Mich more than I could have hoped for. I said from the start I would harvest the first legal bird I could. It just so happened that my first bird ended up being a beautiful tom, with a nearly 10 inch beard, large 1 1/4inch spurs and nearly weighing 20 pounds.

I've already had the opportunity to prepare turkey tenders(new family favorite), hot turkey sandwiches and a breast cooked in the sous vide. All the remaining meat vacuum sealed and stored for many more meals. In the gizzard there was a bunch of pebbles and corn. As it was wet here last fall lots of corn fields weren't taken off until this spring.

I'll be back to the turkeys woods, the gobbling raises the hair on the back of my neck and if you haven't tries it yet then put it on your bucket list!

https://www.instagra...d=1s1xqyf4zbm2v

Well done Gumshoe! ........ well written and almost felt like I was there too. 

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#6 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2448 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:25 AM

nice story, well done. And congrats on the tom.

liked the FB pic - good luck.

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:20 AM

What a GREAT read this morning as I gobble gobble down my black Columbian !!!  Thanks Gumshoe...best of luck with the prize draw !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

Great story!  Thanks for sharing!  :-)

#9 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

Congrats, and thanks for sharing a great story Gumshoe!

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#10 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:04 PM

Wow with all the chit going on I missed this and it’s a hunting story!!!
Congrats gumshoe and thanks for sharing something positive!
Great story too.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#11 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hey gang. I'm a Nova scotia boy who recently moved to Ontario and had the opportunity to tag my first Turkey. If you havent, definitely put it on your bucket list. I've got a picture that Kent Cartridge shared on their Facebook page, if you could show your support by CLICKING the picture and giving it a like I could be in the running for some prizes. Thanks!
https://m.facebook.c...9573539/?type=3

Clicked the link and I get lots of pics no idea which one to like!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#12 Gumshoe

Gumshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationZone 109

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

The one with a close up of a turkey spur, red 3.5 inch kent shell and white paper license under it. Thanks!

#13 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3842 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

Congrats Gumshoe!

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#14 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:41 PM

The one with a close up of a turkey spur, red 3.5 inch kent shell and white paper license under it. Thanks!

It’s says log in but no account sorry but hey congrats and good luck.

#15 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

Congrats Gumshoe!

Linnie ! Hey bud long time no see welcome back!
How’s the golf game?

#16 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

Congrats Gumshoe!

IT'S ALLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LMAOlaugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

Hey ole bud, how you been ? Great I hope...missus and kids all well ?...how'd that swingset buck taste ??  ph34r.png ph34r.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2789 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Congrats , wish we had the chance like we set out for the New Brunswick hunt this spring that got cancelled . Maybe next year .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#18 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

Great success story, It was a like click from me

#19 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

Congrats on the turkey.  Since moving back to the Cape from Ontario, I really miss the spring turkey hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users