#1 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

You guys probably know this but effective today Canada Post has changed their requirements for shipping firearms and no longer can the average Joe just walk in any more and ship they say

I have not tried yet

Setting up the account is no big deal for a small business but it has to be in place but some personnel e-mails it will not accept so may be an issue for some. Have to try to find out

Take care

u6Ot8eU.jpg

#2 kettlesd

kettlesd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationPorters Lake NS

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:45 PM

Yet another hurdle for average gun owners. 

My small business account indeed was painless to set up, and Canada Post was very helpful when I did.

Gunsmith, Chef, Pilot, Shooter & Hunter........

#3 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

I guess if I sell it will be local only,either I  deliver or they come and pick it up, too much hassle.I sent 3 speed loaders to B.C. and it cost $26.87 for postage for to ship.Just isn't worth the trouble to bother with it anymore.

#4 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2934 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

You guys probably know this but effective today Canada Post has changed their requirements for shipping firearms and no longer can the average Joe just walk in any more and ship they say

I have not tried yet

Setting up the account is no big deal for a small business but it has to be in place but some personnel e-mails it will not accept so may be an issue for some. Have to try to find out

Take care

u6Ot8eU.jpg

Maybe it has something to do with my new purchase not arriving?

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2934 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

I have grown tired of Canada post. Prices are ridiculous and the service is poor. I paid $55 to send a shotgun from Greenwood to Barrington. I had to pay double as they send it to Halifax first, then back to Greenwood then Barrington. The last two times given a tracking number none of the info or dates are valid. No one seems to care about having accurate info updated on your item, yet they expect you to be there for a signature on dates that are meaningless.

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

Already have small business account ,
Take a kid Hunting or Fishing and keep the Tradition and Passion Alive!

The Redneck is Back !

#7 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I did not know this. I haven’t shipped a gun in a number of months. I always used Canada Post. Has anyone shipped a gun using UPS or Fed Ex ??? Same hurdles or easier ?? I know UPS was expensive to ship other parcels.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I did not know this. I haven’t shipped a gun in a number of months. I always used Canada Post. Has anyone shipped a gun using UPS or Fed Ex ??? Same hurdles or easier ?? I know UPS was expensive to ship other parcels.

I may be wrong but don't think any couriers still take them unless you are a true business. DHL maybe

Take care

#9 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

Canada Post is only one who accept firearm shipments unless your a Registered Business then it may come UPS , DHL won't accept any .

This will kill off a lot of gun flippers or online gun pages , it's going make it harder for the regular guy to buy and sell .

The Redneck is Back !

#10 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

This really sucks. I have bought and sold a fair amount of guns on “Gunpost”. Guess that is done. Just wondering if you have to have a legit business to creat an account with SFSB ???

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

Canada Post is only one who accept firearm shipments unless your a Registered Business then it may come UPS , DHL won't accept any .

This will kill off a lot of gun flippers or online gun pages , it's going make it harder for the regular guy to buy and sell .

DHL did as below but it has been about 4 years since I had to use them back then maybe it changed I will have another look

Can par also did but you have to have an account set up with them first and they are at least 3x the price. Like 98 bucks to ship a rifle to Ontario 

DHL does ship firearms they just need a copy of the guns serial number and your PAL.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:10 PM

This really sucks. I have bought and sold a fair amount of guns on “Gunpost”. Guess that is done. Just wondering if you have to have a legit business to creat an account with SFSB ???

To answer your question yes since they did away with the venture card and changed to small business solutions  however most are faking it and getting one

Venture card guys were grandfathered in

Cheers 

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:20 PM

Joke is guess who's fault it is. Gun owners from the constant complaining they were delivering and not asking for a signature since the virus stuff which was the new policy they implemented

So canada post says fine now lets just make it harder to ship. How do you guys like that

Our own worst enemy

#14 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

What a pain.  Is it just me or does the requirement to ship in it a locked gun case make it even more difficult than the business account?   So either you need to buy a case or ship one out to the seller before they can send it back to you.  And a seperate shipment with the keys unless it's a combo lock system.

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

What a pain.  Is it just me or does the requirement to ship in it a locked gun case make it even more difficult than the business account?   So either you need to buy a case or ship one out to the seller before they can send it back to you.  And a seperate shipment with the keys unless it's a combo lock system.

Case is not required YET. Regardless what the web site has been saying for years about it Yes in the last year I have been adding one of those cheap trigger locks since some have asked

Seems unboxed cases have been targeted for damage within the canada post system so if I use one I also box it as normal

Cheers

tppSVNM.jpg

#16 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

DHL did as below but it has been about 4 years since I had to use them back then maybe it changed I will have another look
 Can par also did but you have to have an account set up with them first and they are at least 3x the price. Like 98 bucks to ship a rifle to Ontario 
DHL does ship firearms they just need a copy of the guns serial number and your PAL.[/size]

Any time I called DHL they REFUSED flat out , stating for safety reasons they do not accept firearms from households for pick up and shipment , did not matter if it was for warranty purposes going back to a warranty center.

Hence reason why I opened a business solutions account with Canada Post , never had issue ever since shipping anywhere plus save money on the shipping charges

The Redneck is Back !

#17 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:54 PM

No locked case needed , trigger lock or cable lock , sealed box , you must state it's a firearm , it's actually entered in computer when they do up your receipt , printing off labels are easy at staples or with home printer . As for the keys yes just be shipped separately , Combination Lock is NOT PERMITTED , Too easily picked , saying that even those flimsy cable licks can be cut with cutters , they just require it be actual keyed lock. Many are going cry over new regulations but it is what it is , too many people aquiring firearms illegally , don't forget NOW ID will be required for pickup or delivery .

This is one of the liberals slipped in laws that we did not see coming , after all Canada Post is Federally owned if this is a way to try stop firearms being shipped illegally or try put those who sell firearms as side business, it's basically tracking who is selling , buying and trading thru private means , if one does not think this info will not get shared with CFC AND RCMP one best think again . They are watching this form of transactions

The Redneck is Back !

#18 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Grand Mira Trapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

To answer your question yes since they did away with the venture card and changed to small business solutions  however most are faking it and getting one
 Venture card guys were grandfathered in
Cheers

I actually had to provide a GST # for my small business solutions account , I use it even for shipping fur privately sold , there's no getting away from paying taxes on that end .

Could also be same for private gun flippers , taxes could very well get put on those who have home based businesses on the QT and not claiming it . So many ways this can be viewed , but reguardless it's not getting easier it's going get full out more restricted to buy , sell , trade in firearms , parts and related items .

The Redneck is Back !

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:00 PM

Business account and proof of age I see as the changes

I am missing what was slipped in. Has not changed since this was released on may of 2008. Not the liberals this time just a reaction to all the BS we have given them lately after the drop shipments was approved with no signature

may 2008

Customers who wish to ship firearms must :

• unload the firearms
  • attach a secure locking device to the firearms
  • lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container and
  • remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).

Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The Customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations.
NOTE :
For more packaging tips, refer tosection 4.2 “Package the Item” of the “ABCs of Mailing” chapter.

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

I actually had to provide a GST # for my small business solutions account , I use it even for shipping fur privately sold , there's no getting away from paying taxes on that end .

Could also be same for private gun flippers , taxes could very well get put on those who have home based businesses on the QT and not claiming it . So many ways this can be viewed , but reguardless it's not getting easier it's going get full out more restricted to buy , sell , trade in firearms , parts and related items .

And so did I. That is why I would love to know how all these guys are doing it. Yes those that had the old venture card are being grandfathered in with no # so are the rest just full of BS or using someones number

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users