• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wingman1949

Wingman1949

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed before but how come the government doesn't introduce turkeys to the Province. One of their favourite foods is ticks.Just a thought.

#2 DH11

DH11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

There’s some interest but I think more effort is being put into advocating for expanding Sunday hunting and a spring bear season.

#3 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:01 PM

IIRC, I read it was rejected because of the "invasive species" act

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

The agriculture industry opposed turkeys and they are more powerful than us. It's that simple. You'll see pigs fly in NS before turkeys imo.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#5 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:59 AM

If I lived in the right place I'd be raising some.

I don't know this person, but someone in the valley is selling fertilized eggs. 

If anyone here has land you should raise some.  Whatever you do, don't let them escape though!  ;-)

https://www.kijiji.c...sale/1502359896

#6 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

Eastern wild turkeys are a fairly common breed of turkey raised by farmers around here. If they are free range ... they will disappear to lay their eggs. Lots of times ... these domesticated birds end up in the wild. We will have “true eastern wild turkeys” after a while.... whether DNR likes it or not.

#7 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

Eastern wild turkeys are a fairly common breed of turkey raised by farmers around here. If they are free range ... they will disappear to lay their eggs. Lots of times ... these domesticated birds end up in the wild. We will have “true eastern wild turkeys” after a while.... whether DNR likes it or not.

I wish they'd hurry up and get going already!  ha ha

I did a hunt in Maine with some buddies and it was a lot of fun.   

Of course everyone but me got one.  *sigh*  ;-)

#8 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

It's part of the reason N.B now has them along with them being illegal border crossers from Maine , combo of both in so many ways , we were going partake in Spring Season ( if my son got his tag ) this yr until Covid Crisis along with Spring Bear Hunt ,
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:00 AM

I've seen em a few times in the valley..Middleton area....some as far back as the mid 90's in Nictaux Falls area !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

It's part of the reason N.B now has them along with them being illegal border crossers from Maine , combo of both in so many ways , we were going partake in Spring Season ( if my son got his tag ) this yr until Covid Crisis along with Spring Bear Hunt ,

Oh man, that's too bad.  Hopefully next year works out for you.  :-)

#11 Joyrider

Joyrider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:49 PM

I've seen em a few times in the valley..Middleton area....some as far back as the mid 90's in Nictaux Falls area !!!

I heard them once in the pit across the highway from the airport.  I hunted in there a few time many years ago.  It was the only time I ever heard / saw any.  No idea if they were real wild one, a domestic breed, or some guy with a caller playing games.  :-)

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Oh man, that's too bad.  Hopefully next year works out for you.  :-)

Thanks
I spent 3 weeks previous to Covid crisis closure , up in New Brunswick , had everything worked out for non resident bear hunt this spring , stand , cabin , you name it , same time we scouted several areas for turkeys see quite few , even doing mock set ups to see if we bring one in calling and using a decoy , Damm it was exciting to do , then closure , it fekked it , 3 weeks work , money , food , travel all to come to grinding halt.

Hoping get moose tag this yr , break my 30 yr dry spell since last moose hunt in the cape , back then it was one shooter only plus another to help out and scout . Alot changed but if I'm successful getting tag I'm going back to where I shot my first CB moose .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#13 Wingman1949

Wingman1949

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

IIRC, I read it was rejected because of the "invasive species" act

Invasive species why are they scared if they are introduced the Pheasant and Partridge we don't have in my area will disappear and the Spring Bear hunt has been talked about long enough and Sunday hunting should have been allowed years ago.

#14 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

The agriculture industry successfully argued against introduction on the basis that wild stock could infect domestic birds with disease such as avian flu.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:57 AM

One of the better reports I remember reading

https://novascotia.c..._WildTurkey.pdf

#16 Wingman1949

Wingman1949

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

There’s some interest but I think more effort is being put into advocating for expanding Sunday hunting and a spring bear season.

I thought they were going to let a spring bear hunt last year, that's the info I got from a member of the NSWF.

#17 Wingman1949

Wingman1949

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

The agriculture industry opposed turkeys and they are more powerful than us. It's that simple. You'll see pigs fly in NS before turkeys imo.

Then why in hell do we have to pay all these fees if they aren't going to do anything to promote the sport. Call you MLA.

#18 Wingman1949

Wingman1949

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:43 PM

I am 71 years old and cannot wait much longer.

#19 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationMargaree Cole Harbour East Dalhousie

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

I don't know if this has been discussed before but how come the government doesn't introduce turkeys to the Province. One of their favourite foods is ticks.Just a thought.

What area do you think they could be introduced in? The province is not terribly large, mostly privately owned and all the crown is pretty much going to be logged at one point or another. The agricultural folks already shut it down once so it doesn't look good for any releases in the future. Unless you can find a private donor to give up some property as a place that turkeys could be released and you would still have to deal with Agriculture NS. It really doesn't look very promising IMHO.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#20 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

I am 71 years old and cannot wait much longer.

Well I dare say, you are going to go out of province if you want to hunt turkey. A lot of work has been done to try and make turkeys a realityin Nova Scotia to no avail. You can call all the mla's you want. It ain't happening.b

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users