#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:17 PM

Real sad. Dam liberals is next . Wait now back to 2000 so they all should hang their heads NDP and PC included

Cheers

#3 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2611 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

I hope this forces DNR to get off their collective asses and do something.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#4 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Re: Mainland moose  I think it's generally accepted the cause of their demise is the brain worm (or is that still debated...?).  From what I've read that happens whenever the whitetail / moose populations cross (once the worm arrives).

If the above it true, is it worse spending money (wasting?) on trying to protect them?  No other area has been successful - why would NS be any different?  It's kind of like trying to prevent hurricanes - it's just a force of nature that is going to happen no matter what you do.  You can do a little, but in the end the hurricanes keep coming and the moose keep dying.

Most species decline is due to human activity and there is something we can (and should) do about it.  With Moose, it's not caused by mankind and there's nothing we can do about it.   Should we put $ into just delaying the inevitable?  

Having said that, if I'm wrong and we can do something that has a chance of reversing the population decline I think we should, I am just not sure we have that power in this case...?

Thoughts?  I'd really like to be wrong here - show me that I am! 

#5 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5054 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

i agree with joyrider as far as the mainland moose is concerned. It is just not a viable subspecies at this point. If I stable population is desired, they should look to the highlands for stock. Much hardier animal imo. Now having said this, is it really wise to have a thriving population of moose in Mainland Ns? Wouldn't it bring all the current problems associated with the cape Breton herd?
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#6 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2808 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

I told the 6 barn cats  do not hunt  any protected birds!!!!

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#7 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

What don't tell me clearcutting might stop i don't believe it cause no NS gov in the last 30 yrs has a clue on how to manage our indandered species or the forests.I'd say the MCneil libs are the worst i can remember in my lifetime for garbage conservation decisions and they have pushed clearcutting the most which as we know kills more animals because of destroyed habitat.I think nothings is going to change other than getting worse instead of better.

#8 ACCOUNT DELETED !

ACCOUNT DELETED !

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2648 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

What don't tell me clearcutting might stop i don't believe it cause no NS gov in the last 30 yrs has a clue on how to manage our indandered species or the forests.I'd say the MCneil libs are the worst i can remember in my lifetime for garbage conservation decisions and they have pushed clearcutting the most which as we know kills more animals because of destroyed habitat.I think nothings is going to change other than getting worse instead of better.

Nah clear-cutting won't stop due to politics and companies here have absolutely zero clue or desire to LEARN how to do selective cutting , saying that they use excuses can't use today's equipment for selective cutting due to risk of damage to machinery and higher operating cost with more time .

I know a spot they just went in to get started to clear cut a very small spot , saying they are running out of areas to conduct logging operations , that are not private lands . Never mind the fact clear-cutting does kill endangered species and habitat , like the MC Liars Liberals stated , clear-cutting will not stop if it stops companies from clearing a profit on a job . In other words just go as you normally do and use that as your excuse .

Besides MC Liars Club (libtard) just closed down a pull mill , where's the wood going , what to a over priced chip mill for expensive power !

Selective cutting was done yrs back when guys walked the woods with chain saw in hand , stating smaller trees less yield and same amount of labor , so let them grow for few yrs and they will be there for next go around . Can't have that today , now just knock over the less desirable stuff and smash it up just to leave just as much wood on the ground and taken out on trucks .
Better places to be than here !

#9 eastern tide

eastern tide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationLower Sackville

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:21 PM

If only these endangered species would donate money to the Conservatives. Then all their dreams would come true.smile.png

#10 DH11

DH11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

I told the 6 barn cats  do not hunt  any protected birds!!!!

LOL! 

#11 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

Mankind has decimated wildlife and plant life since their origin so why would they stop now.
NS gov has no interest in protecting anything except their own pensions.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#12 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:26 PM

Re: Mainland moose  I think it's generally accepted the cause of their demise is the brain worm (or is that still debated...?).  From what I've read that happens whenever the whitetail / moose populations cross (once the worm arrives).
If the above it true, is it worse spending money (wasting?) on trying to protect them?  No other area has been successful - why would NS be any different?  It's kind of like trying to prevent hurricanes - it's just a force of nature that is going to happen no matter what you do.  You can do a little, but in the end the hurricanes keep coming and the moose keep dying.
Most species decline is due to human activity and there is something we can (and should) do about it.  With Moose, it's not caused by mankind and there's nothing we can do about it.   Should we put $ into just delaying the inevitable?  
Having said that, if I'm wrong and we can do something that has a chance of reversing the population decline I think we should, I am just not sure we have that power in this case...?
Thoughts?  I'd really like to be wrong here - show me that I am!

Joyrider I think you are correct. Mainland Nova Scotia just does not have enough generally undisturbed habitat to sustain a moose population. Poor woodlot harvesting practices, lots of access roads , coyotes, black bears, brain worm and poaching have all helped lead to a decline in the mainland moose. The mainland does have pockets of isolated moose habitat such as sanctuaries but I feel the number of towns, hamlets, villages and farming land spread through the mainland ,not to mention major highways and roads make it difficult to provide the moose the undisturbed habitat they require in order to thrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users