#1 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:21 PM

When your talking firearms and condition and appraisals who is the best and most knowledgeable around here or in Canada. AND I mean Expert top notch. Or should one be looking for a particular manufacturer expert as in Winchester expert, colt expert etc.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#2 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:43 PM

I use The Gun Values Board. Free online evaluation of your firearm.

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

3D you have to contact someone state side

No one in canada qualified to evaluate what I think you are talking about ( just guessing)  

Also if you want what they are worth you will also have to sell them state side or take at least a 35% hit min in Canada

I had to have my winchesters model 21's and 28ga model 12 done in the US but that was 15 years ago to get true value for insurance

They told me on Nutz one would bring 3000 CD and it was appraised for 7500 US state side as one example

Cheers

#4 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

3D you have to contact someone state side
No one in canada qualified to evaluate what I think you are talking about ( just guessing)  
Also if you want what they are worth you will also have to sell them state side or take at least a 35% hit min in Canada
 I had to have my winchesters model 21's and 28ga model 12 done in the US but that was 15 years ago to get true value for insurance
They told me on Nutz one would bring 3000 CD and it was appraised for 7500 US state side as one example
Cheers

That’s what I was thinking either US or UK depending on type of firearm
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ±πŸ¦ŒπŸ€ 

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

That’s what I was thinking either US or UK depending on type of firearm

For sure if what we briefly discussed

Me I would start here

https://www.winchest...arms-value.html

Cheers

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

For sure if what we briefly discussed
 Me I would start here
https://www.winchest...arms-value.html
 Cheers

I think the best source is one of the big US auction companies that specialize in firearms. Been watching Rock Island Auction web site for quite a while now.

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

I think the best source is one of the big US auction companies that specialize in firearms. Been watching Rock Island Auction web site for quite a while now.

For sure. I forget the name of the big one. See if I can ask someone

Cheers

Yep you are right. Brother state side says Rock Island is the place for your guns also

Good luck

#8 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

I use The Gun Values Board. Free online evaluation of your firearm.

Thanks but nothing listed on that site for the firearms I have

#9 kettlesd

kettlesd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationPorters Lake NS

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:21 PM

As a personal starting point for ballpark appraisals of firearms that come in my door I subscribe to the online version of GunDigest's GunValues.

Of course value depends on condition, which needs an in-hand inspection to assess as to level of originality- ie, numbers matching parts, % of original finish in metal work and woodwork/furniture, aftermarket additions, etc. Some additions may add to value (like a top-dollar scope and quality mounts), but some can detract from value - especially if the gun had to be modified in some way to add them. Refinishing may add value to, say, an inexpensive sporterized Lee-Enfield, but will absolutely devalue the same rifle if it is a numbers-matching, original wood, etc. specimen.

Then one has to look at the market it is intended to be sold at, and whether it had some sort of verifiable & documented quality that makes it particularly collectible. A gun that supposedly belonged to Teddy Roosevelt means nothing if there is no supporting documentation of authenticity. Things like "commemorative models" of rifles/guns generally don't add a lot of value to a gun buyer in the used market unless it is unfired, comes with original box and instruction manual, etc.

As already mentioned by others, across the board Canadians can generally not command the prices the same firearms can get across the border. Canadians simply don't value guns like Americans do. Items that are restricted / prohibited can command a margin even less, due to their much smaller market.

Gunsmith, Chef, Pilot, Shooter & Hunter........

#10 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

As a personal starting point for ballpark appraisals of firearms that come in my door I subscribe to the online version of GunDigest's GunValues.

Of course value depends on condition, which needs an in-hand inspection to assess as to level of originality- ie, numbers matching parts, % of original finish in metal work and woodwork/furniture, aftermarket additions, etc. Some additions may add to value (like a top-dollar scope and quality mounts), but some can detract from value - especially if the gun had to be modified in some way to add them. Refinishing may add value to, say, an inexpensive sporterized Lee-Enfield, but will absolutely devalue the same rifle if it is a numbers-matching, original wood, etc. specimen.

Then one has to look at the market it is intended to be sold at, and whether it had some sort of verifiable & documented quality that makes it particularly collectible. A gun that supposedly belonged to Teddy Roosevelt means nothing if there is no supporting documentation of authenticity. Things like "commemorative models" of rifles/guns generally don't add a lot of value to a gun buyer in the used market unless it is unfired, comes with original box and instruction manual, etc.

As already mentioned by others, across the board Canadians can generally not command the prices the same firearms can get across the border. Canadians simply don't value guns like Americans do. Items that are restricted / prohibited can command a margin even less, due to their much smaller market.

Checked that resource but couldn’t find H&H in it. However I did get fair value plus for mine!
But thanks for taking the time to post that info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users