Friends Grateful To Be Alive After Being Surrounded By Bears On Cape Breton Trail - Bear Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Friends Grateful To Be Alive After Being Surrounded By Bears On Cape Breton Trail

Highlands National Park Clyburn Valley trail black bear

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

“We were between a mother and a cub, so it was a bad situation to be in,” Crystal Hill explained. “I wasn’t feeling safe from that other bear completely because we were only walking for a few seconds and before we could even be like, ‘OK, we’re safe,’ there was another bear. It was pure panic the entire time because we didn’t even get a chance to catch our breath — it was an instant adrenaline rush, your heart rate is increased intensely, you’re breathing rapidly, you’re walking as fast as you can. You’re like, ‘Oh my god, there’s a bear. Is he going to come after you? Where is the mother?’ All this stuff is going through your head, and you’re just trying to get away as fast as you can, and then to run into a great big huge one — it was like ‘Oh no. Are you kidding me?’ It was definitely life-threatening the whole time, I felt.” While Stephanie Hawley called 911, Hill retrieved two cans of bear spray and a pair of knives from her backpack. It was the beginning of a tense standoff as the pair stood back to back with their blades open and spray cans within reach, waiting for help to arrive. Two Parks Canada rangers arrived about an hour later.

https://www.thechron...n-trail-463398/

#2 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

**** your pants time!

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5054 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

I guess the only answer is for our piece of crap prime minister to ban bears. There now, problem solved!
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#4 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:46 AM

Sounds like something I read in a book. To the inexperienced ... they must have really thought they were gonna die ... but in actual fact .... just sounds like momma bear was protecting her offspring by trying to intimidate them. I really doubt that the hikers were in any danger what so ever.  Wake up NS ... time for a spring bear hunt !!!

#5 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:06 PM

Just wondering,,if we had a spring bear hunt ,,,who would look after the cubs if mother got shot,,You would think maybe Hope for Wildlife,,don't think so

Like I said just wondering,,sure someone on here will know,stay safe.

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Sounds like something I read in a book. To the inexperienced ... they must have really thought they were gonna die ... but in actual fact .... just sounds like momma bear was protecting her offspring by trying to intimidate them. I really doubt that the hikers were in any danger what so ever.  Wake up NS ... time for a spring bear hunt !!!

Few yrs back there were no bears up around Malagash. Friend up there has at least 14 different bears on his trail cam in his back yard.
If we don’t soon start thinning them out they may become a serious problem.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

Just wondering,,if we had a spring bear hunt ,,,who would look after the cubs if mother got shot,,You would think maybe Hope for Wildlife,,don't think so
Like I said just wondering,,sure someone on here will know,stay safe.

No different then shooting a doe with fawns or cow moose with calves etc etc. Survival of the species,the strong survive the weak become food for the strong.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#8 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:39 PM

No different then shooting a doe with fawns or cow moose with calves etc etc. Survival of the species,the strong survive the weak become food for the strong.

Actually a big difference - apples and oranges Triple. There isn’t a spring moose or deer hunt so at least their offspring have a better chance of survival in the fall. That’s why it’s illegal to shoot cubs or a sow with cubs in Ontario, NB, etc.  

edit: I agree with a NS spring bear hunt but shooting a sow with cubs in the spring is quite different than taking a cow moose or doe with fawns or calf’s in the fall. 

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#9 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

Actually a big difference - apples and oranges Triple. There isn’t a spring moose or deer hunt so at least their offspring have a better chance of survival in the fall. That’s why it’s illegal to shoot cubs or a sow with cubs in Ontario, NB, etc.  

edit: I agree with a NS spring bear hunt but shooting a sow with cubs in the spring is quite different than taking a cow moose or doe with fawns or calf’s in the fall.

The OP was referring to spring bear hunt I wasn’t,I was thinking only of the fall hunt since we have and probably never will have a spring hunt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Highlands National Park, Clyburn Valley trail, black bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users