54 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3006 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:22 AM

This week I visited a hunting store, one of my favorites. I was sadden to here the owner say that they are really struggling to keep the doors open. He was very serious, on the verge of going under. Little shops did not get any the support needed, many got nothing, more money was given to students. The list continues to grow daily of what firearms are being banned, they have assets frozen, and its unclear from day to day whats going on, what they still can sell. Nothing is coming across the borders, stock has dwindled. These are jobs that support families, have for years in Nova Scotia. I like it when Trudeau stands at the podium and pretends he is concerned about Canadian jobs..

#2 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

This a tough time for most independent retailers and likely to continue into the Fall.

For hunting/gun stores Turdeau and the liebrals did not do enough research, or more likely didn't care enough, when they said retailers can return guns affected by the new ban to their suppliers.

Yeah sure, now they are stuck with expensive inventory that they cannot turn into profitable sales.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#3 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

I think it’s up to us as outdoorsmen/women to support local hunting shops. A drum I’ve been beating for years. I buy all my hunting/fishing gear at Young Guns although I suggest supporting all the small shops (LeQuilles’s, Hnatiuks, Leaves and Limbs, etc.) in your area.  

It’s not only about price but service and the knowledge they have ......  we need to support them so they will be around to support us. 

Here’s something to chew on - I just bought a pair of Muck’s Arctic Sport boots at Young Guns for $119 plus tax.  Stopped in at Cabelas in the Dartmouth Crossing and the same friggan boots were $219 ($100 more) !   Camo Woody Max at Cabelas is $239 - at Young Guns The same boots a $159 or $169 on sale.  .......  so support your local shops because the liberals definitely won’t.   

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#4 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1697 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

I think it’s up to us as outdoorsmen/women to support local hunting shops. A drum I’ve been beating for years. I buy all my hunting/fishing gear at Young Guns although I suggest supporting all the small shops (LeQuilles’s, Hnatiuks, Leaves and Limbs, etc.) in your area.  

It’s not only about price but service and the knowledge they have ......  we need to support them so they will be around to support us. 

Here’s something to chew on - I just bought a pair of Muck’s Arctic Sport boots at Young Guns for $119 plus tax.  Stopped in at Cabelas in the Dartmouth Crossing and the same friggan boots were $219 ($100 more) !   Camo Woody Max at Cabelas is $239 - at Young Guns The same boots a $159 or $169 on sale.  .......  so support your local shops because the liberals definitely won’t.   

X 2           >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#5 ACCOUNT DELETED !

ACCOUNT DELETED !

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2648 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

X3
Better places to be than here !

#6 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:47 AM

I agree, you have to support local, I travel with my work and i make it a point to stop in to all the hunting shops.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#7 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5054 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:22 AM

Regardless of the nature of their business or what they sell, many businesses big and small, are not going to survive the covid crisis. This is a terrible situation and I feel for all of them.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#8 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3006 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

Regardless of the nature of their business or what they sell, many businesses big and small, are not going to survive the covid crisis. This is a terrible situation and I feel for all of them.

Sure a kick in the nuts with all that's going on with a pandemic, to also be attacked by your own government.

#9 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:17 PM

I see that POS has committed 300 MILLION DOLLARS to help fight Covid in other countries. That is not our Fekking problem !!! His main focus should be Canada at this time and nothing more. Our businesses ... big and small ... need to be taken care of before his Middle Eastern friends.  I just shake my head at the Liberal supporters. What does this A-HOLE have to do to make you think ...”maybe he is screwing Canadians” ???? 

#10 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3006 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

I see that POS has committed 300 MILLION DOLLARS to help fight Covid in other countries. That is not our Fekking problem !!! His main focus should be Canada at this time and nothing more. Our businesses ... big and small ... need to be taken care of before his Middle Eastern friends.  I just shake my head at the Liberal supporters. What does this A-HOLE have to do to make you think ...”maybe he is screwing Canadians” ???? 

That money is going to the WHO. The same as that he has already gave 840 mil during the start of the pandemic. They have asked for an additional 1.5 billion as the US stopped supporting them because they are corrupt. This he is considering. Anyone who voted for this go ahead needs there gd head examined. Canadians are going under and many are going without.

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:04 PM

I assumed the same and a few weeks ago would have agreed 100% but  after selling now for the past two weeks and doing the volume in two weeks what normally takes me six or seven I sure have not seen it

We closed today with nothing left to sell and the earliest before in 8 years to do that was July 21st

Every garden shop on the island is sold out for flowers etc

Talking to other local business owners who are my flower  customers I am not hearing anything about closure in fact total opposite

The local building supplies owner told me he carried 14 employees from the middle of march until the 1st of may with almost zero business

Then he has no idea what happened but he has had the best may and june in 40 years and normally runs out of wolmanized in Nov but will be out by mid July with no more to be found and has hired four more people. A local body shop owner told me almost the exact same story and he is buried right now he said

Weed man here today has two crews now running ( normally one) and never seen it so busy in fact stopped talking orders and cannot handle any more

Local bar owner who does food also talking about not reopening the sitting area since his take out business for food has tripled and said he does way better like that

Wife has to wait 3 weeks for a hair appointment since the shop she goes to is booked solid normally could get in within a few days

The local bakery owner also here for his flowers and told me he is buried and cannot meet the demand

But did state the 2000 a month government money is killing him since he is three weeks now trying to hire 6 people back and those laid off will not come to work as long as they are getting it and new people are also not interested

Maybe it is just the short term thing I don't know all of this business but right now it is there and big time

Who is closing locally. Have you heard of any one  ???? Even Joe's horyls in NW that closed the deli section will not sell the equipment a friend tried to buy it since they plan on reopening down the road they told him

Only sharing what I see here myself and been told by other local business owners . Maybe different in other places

I know in March it was projected 1/3rd in canada would close but it doesn't seem to be happening on the cape right now

Time will tell

Cheers

#12 caperaway

caperaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

I assumed the same and a few weeks ago would have agreed 100% but  after selling now for the past two weeks and doing the volume in two weeks what normally takes me six or seven I sure have not seen it

We closed today with nothing left to sell and the earliest before in 8 years to do that was July 21st

Talking to other local business owners who are my flower  customers I am not hearing anything about closure in fact total opposite

The local building supplies owner told me he carried 14 employees from the middle of march until the 1st of may with almost zero business

Then he has no idea what happened but he has had the best may and june in 40 years and normally runs out of wolmanized in Nov but will be out by mid July with no more to be found and has hired four more people. A local body shop owner told me almost the exact same story and he is buried right now he said

Weed man here today has two crews now running ( normally one) and never seen it so busy in fact stopped talking orders and cannot handle any more

Local bar owner who does food also talking about not reopening the sitting area since his take out business for food has tripled and me does better like that

Wife has to wait 3 weeks for a hair appointment since the shop she goes to is booked solid normally could get in within a few days

The local bakery owner also here for his flowers and told me he is buried and cannot meet the demand

But did state the 2000 a month government money is killing him since he is three weeks now trying to hire 6 people back and those laid off will not come to work as long as they are getting it and new people are also not interested

Maybe it is just the short term thing I don't know all of this business but right now it is there and big time

Who is closing locally. Have you heard of any one  ???? Even Joe's horyls in NW that closed the deli section will not sell the equipment a friend tried to buy it since they plan on reopening down the road they told him

Only sharing what I see here myself and been told by other local business owners . Maybe different in other places

Cheers

Your talking about businesses that thrive when people have spare time on their hands and the disposable income hasn't run out. Everybody and their dog is doing gardening and home renos right now because they are out of work and getting free govt money so they have lots of time and funds to get the projects done that they wanted done for awhile. The restaurants are busy because people are tired of their own cooking and need any kind of treat to break the monotony of being locked down.

Hair dressers are busy because people haven't had hair cuts in months. Some local ones went under in the meantime from what my hair dresser told me. she had several stylists ask her for jobs because their current salons were not reopening.

There will be many mom and pop shops that,if they do reopen ,will go under soon. 

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

Your talking about businesses that thrive when people have spare time on their hands and the disposable income hasn't run out. Everybody and their dog is doing gardening and home renos right now because they are out of work and getting free govt money so they have lots of time and funds to get the projects done that they wanted done for awhile. The restaurants are busy because people are tired of their own cooking and need any kind of treat to break the monotony of being locked down.

Hair dressers are busy because people haven't had hair cuts in months. Some local ones went under in the meantime from what my hair dresser told me. she had several stylists ask her for jobs because their current salons were not reopening.

There will be many mom and pop shops that,if they do reopen ,will go under soon. 

Like I said time will tell and I hope all will make it in the long term

What business closed?? here so far. Have you heard of any other than those salons you mentioned

That is interesting since here two salons that were operating under the table and didnot qualify for government money did go under also here. That I could see

My barber says the gov money saved him and his business and since his wife worked with him cutting hair they made more money when combined at home than working he said .

I know Huron rod and Gun closed in Ontario and it was blamed on the virus and then the gun ban only to find out

Brad decided he liked some spare time to hunt and fish at this point in his life.

46 years is a long run for any shop. 46 years of 10-12 hour days, 6-7 days per week will wear anyone down eventually. Some folks thrive on it though.

#14 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5054 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:28 PM

We are just getting a bit of a reprieve right now. We are not even half way through this at this point. We lost a barbershop, a hair salon and another barbershop will be gone by end of August.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#15 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3006 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Local bar owner who does food also talking about not reopening the sitting area since his take out business for food has tripled and said he does way better like that

I know in March it was projected 1/3rd in canada would close but it doesn't seem to be happening on the cape right now

Time will tell

Cheers

I have been looking for a new trailer for my tractor. From here to the other provinces, none. One place told me that I would need to put my name in for September, maybe some would come in. Soon as they hit the ground there gone. Went to John Deere today as a buddy told me they had some there. There were no trailers, no tractors, lawn mowers, side by sides all sold out. The Honda dealer is the same way. The car dealerships have little left in inventory. Its because folks are home with cheques coming in, everything is deferred payments so things are being gobbled up. The lumber yards have doubled the sales as everyone is home doing projects. The problem is there is nothing coming now to replenish the stock at these business. Yes business was brisk but the ugly side is yet to come. Soon the cheques will end, payments will need to be made, and many businesses will still have no stock coming across the borders.

#16 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:52 PM

I have been looking for a new trailer for my tractor. From here to the other provinces, none. One place told me that I would need to put my name in for September, maybe some would come in. Soon as they hit the ground there gone. Went to John Deere today as a buddy told me they had some there. There were no trailers, no tractors, lawn mowers, side by sides all sold out. The Honda dealer is the same way. The car dealerships have little left in inventory. Its because folks are home with cheques coming in, everything is deferred payments so things are being gobbled up. The lumber yards have doubled the sales as everyone is home doing projects. The problem is there is nothing coming now to replenish the stock at these business. Yes business was brisk but the ugly side is yet to come. Soon the cheques will end, payments will need to be made, and many businesses will still have no stock coming across the borders.

Yes talked to a guy yesterday who could not buy a new lawn tractor anywhere and another who drove 8 hours one way to buy one

Be interesting to see how it evolves long term since many companies are changing gears to make things in canada again and we may not have to rely on others to much to keep us supplied in a few years

That would be nice if that happens

If not someone will do what it takes to bring the stuff in but we will pay dearly for it. Seems those willing to change their business somewhat will be Ok

Wife's friend who just left manages one of the car rental places here and cruise ships and passengers arriving from the air port has been their business for many years which is now non existent

She switched to vans and cube trucks and is busier than she ever was with courier companies, canada post and fishermen renting them all and long term

Nice to see. In the end capers are familiar with change and tough times and will do what it takes to stay and live here

Christ I ordered a food dehydrator from Cabelas a week ago tomorrow and it has not even been charged or the order fully accepted yet

Guess they are buried also and I got this message

YOUR ORDER IS BEING PROCESSED, BUT IT’S NOT QUITE READY

Due to high demand, processing and delivery times may take longer than typical. 

Cheers

#17 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:53 AM

Lawn tractors have been very hard to find in stock, I put a deposit on the last lawn tractor coming into the local Green Diamond in early July.

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

Lawn tractors have been very hard to find in stock, I put a deposit on the last lawn tractor coming into the local Green Diamond in early July.

I am only guessing that roto tillers must be non existent

I normally put mine by the side of the barn this time of year and had to stop from all of the people coming in trying to buy it and saying they cannot find a new one

Cheers

#19 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:59 AM

I am only guessing that roto tillers must be non existent

I normally put mine by the side of the barn this time of year and had to stop from all of the people coming in trying to buy it and saying they cannot find a new one

Cheers

I would say your are right 3macs1.

#20 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10251 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:03 AM

I would say your are right 3macs1.

It is a shame IMO all of the new people putting in gardens this year which is great only to be faced with very dry weather and everything dying on them

The mrs and daughter are heading to halifax next week and filling the suv with veggie transplants since my sister lost everything and cannot find any replacements up there to buy this year

First time ever for that

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users