18 replies to this topic

#1 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:28 PM

I`m looking for a trail camera for my bear site, something that takes reasonable pictures day and night , small and cheap. Something that if I lose it to bears or thieves  that I won`t lose any sleep over. I tried a Tasco that they had on sale, supposed to be 12 mp, but I find the picture quality terrible and the night pictures all washed out. I am not expecting award winning photos, but just decent pictures of what is around. I made all my own trail cameras 20 odd years ago, using 1.3 mp cheap flash cameras, and they will take really good pictures compared to the 12mp Tasco. Its just that my cameras are harder on batteries and a lot larger, so they are harder to conceal.

I do have a Stealth cam and I really like it and would not want to lose it, and I don`t really like to put it out at my bear site, I save it more for deer hunting at our camp, and can leave it out for long periods. So if there is nothing cheap I guess I will dig out my home made ones and fire them up. They are a little bulky compared to today`s cameras and the old cards don`t hold a lot of pictures and only a few weeks on a set of batteries, but at least they take good pictures

#2 take'em

take'em

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBrookfield, NS

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

I was at Bass Pro the other day and they had their Browning Strike Force cams on sale for $119. My hunting partner and I have several Browning cams and they always get the job done. That’s the best price I’ve seen.

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1746 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

Try www.wish.com
$30 cameras and shipping ($10) plus a wait to get them.
I can show you pics , day or night, decent pics too.
Take aa batteries and a micro sd card 16gb or 32gb
I've got 3 or 4 here and I have no problem putting them out. I can loan you one for the bear site if you want to go that way.
can i go hunting yet??

#4 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:57 AM

Try www.wish.com
$30 cameras and shipping ($10) plus a wait to get them.
I can show you pics , day or night, decent pics too.
Take aa batteries and a micro sd card 16gb or 32gb
I've got 3 or 4 here and I have no problem putting them out. I can loan you one for the bear site if you want to go that way.

Thanks for the offer, but for sure if I use someone else`s cam it would get stolen or destroyed. It always works that way for me, but I really appreciate the offer. I spent last night doing a lot of research and have a few cameras in mind .  Will see if anyone else responds to this post before making any decision..

#5 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1697 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

Daddy Duncan, I have a couple of those Tasco cameras. I found that if you put the multipe picture option on you get washed out/bad night pictures. The first picture is good, but the rest are very poor. I over came that by using the 1 picture option and putting the time setting on 5 seconds. Almost as good as the mulitple picture option and good pictures.   You might want to try it.     >Pete

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#6 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5054 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

I bought two of the Wildgame innovations 12 mp cams that Crappy tire puts on for 50 bucks each and they performed well throughout the winter. So far ,so good.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#7 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:42 AM

Daddy Duncan, I have a couple of those Tasco cameras. I found that if you put the multipe picture option on you get washed out/bad night pictures. The first picture is good, but the rest are very poor. I over came that by using the 1 picture option and putting the time setting on 5 seconds. Almost as good as the mulitple picture option and good pictures.   You might want to try it.     >Pete

Thanks for the info Pete, but the one I have is set on taking a single picture with a delay of 1 minute and I certainly don`t find the pictures very good, and all the night pictures look almost out of focus and washed out. Maybe it is just the camera that I have, but my 1.3MP homemade cameras take better quality pictures than it , and it is supposed to be 12MP

#8 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2384 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

cant help out with good pics DD since I switched over to strictly vid years back. The ones with best quality are usually the more expensive ones. I've tried several brands (8 different brands so far) and they all have had their issues so not going to recommend any particular brand.

Can offer this though - the MP rating on all the tcams, I've owned, is BS - their real MP is all about the sensor and generally their sensors are low on the MP scale. They bump up the MP's by an electronic process that allows them to "artificially" advertise higher MP numbers.

go with red IR's for better night pics - the red flash illuminates better than "dark" or "black" flash.

You're looking for something not too costly and mention youve still got your homemades - why not not put those ones out. I'm betting you can hide them just as good as a new one. Best of luck - look forward to this years bear pics.

#9 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

I did dig out my old cameras yesterday Gary.. Got them all running and I went out and replaced the tasco with one of my old ones today. Returning the new one back to Canadian Tire tomorrow.. I do have a Stealth cam and it takes good videos and pictures but I have had two legged visitors to my bait site last year, but they didn`t see the camera. I was lucky that time and don`t want to lose the Stealth cam. SO i want some decent and low priced as I will probably get visited again, but I will have another camera on the path in.

I am not to sure that bears don`t see the red flash. All my homemade cameras have a built in slave flash behind IR material, and the flash just looks like a small reddish blip. If you are not looking directly at it you won't see it, but I have  numerous pictures, of the bears starring at the camera in the second photo and in the third photo they usually have their heads right in the camera LOL.   I ordered a camera today on Amazon, good price and if it takes as good a pictures as their advertisements show I should be happy. But as Barnum Bailey said  "There`s a Sucker Born Every Minute"

#10 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

I IT&E this sh*t earlier this year.

Pretty good, although it has gone up in price I only paid $50

https://www.amazon.c...t-amazon-cdn-20

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#11 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2384 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:04 AM

I did dig out my old cameras yesterday Gary.. Got them all running and I went out and replaced the tasco with one of my old ones today. Returning the new one back to Canadian Tire tomorrow.. I do have a Stealth cam and it takes good videos and pictures but I have had two legged visitors to my bait site last year, but they didn`t see the camera. I was lucky that time and don`t want to lose the Stealth cam. SO i want some decent and low priced as I will probably get visited again, but I will have another camera on the path in.

I am not to sure that bears don`t see the red flash. All my homemade cameras have a built in slave flash behind IR material, and the flash just looks like a small reddish blip. If you are not looking directly at it you won't see it, but I have  numerous pictures, of the bears starring at the camera in the second photo and in the third photo they usually have their heads right in the camera LOL.   I ordered a camera today on Amazon, good price and if it takes as good a pictures as their advertisements show I should be happy. But as Barnum Bailey said  "There`s a Sucker Born Every Minute"

Doesnt seem to matter if its red or "black" flash for me - them bears always seem to see, hear or smell something and come a lookin'. Especially cubs, LOL.

The ones that walk on 2 legs are the bigger challenge, IMO.

Hope things work out, DD.

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

I IT&E this sh*t earlier this year.

Pretty good, although it has gone up in price I only paid $50

https://www.amazon.c...t-amazon-cdn-20

It says sold by LEMON-CA....lmao...hope that's not any indication...

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

Wow Kevin, both you and beaverhunter  recommended the exact camera that I had ordered yesterday morning on Amazon. I was wondering if I had ordered a lemon when I seen where it was coming from LOL  It was $67.88 no tax and free shipping. Nice to know that someone else has one and thinks it is OK.

#14 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:13 AM

DD...How's the GD doin ?? did she taxi that little buck she got ??

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#15 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:13 AM

No she didn`t Kevin, she is waiting for a bigger one. She had an accident 2 weeks ago and severed the tendon in her right thumb, but says she will be  already to go this fall though . I myself am really looking forward to this fall. Been out scouting around and have a couple of deer sites and bear sites all picked out for the two of us. Been sending her pictures of  a few bears from one site to get her all fired up LOL. That's why I want a better small camera. Have one son who is retired and one who is out of work due to pandemic so it looks like a lot of time up at our hunting camp. This is my 22 year of retirement, and I am enjoying every minute ,so I am ready to go anytime

#16 take'em

take'em

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBrookfield, NS

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

Wow Kevin, both you and beaverhunter recommended the exact camera that I had ordered yesterday morning on Amazon. I was wondering if I had ordered a lemon when I seen where it was coming from LOL It was $67.88 no tax and free shipping. Nice to know that someone else has one and thinks it is OK.

I’d be very interested in your thoughts on this Campark T20 after you’ve run it for a bit DD. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it several times now. I like the fact that it runs on only 4 AA batteries and the video quality seems to be above average in quality.

Here’s some sample footage. That video quality seems to be on par with some of my better Brownings. Fast forward to 4 minutes to get to the critters...

https://youtu.be/fOo8eF-ygH8

#17 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

I’d be very interested in your thoughts on this Campark T20 after you’ve run it for a bit DD. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it several times now. I like the fact that it runs on only 4 AA batteries and the video quality seems to be above average in quality.

Here’s some sample footage. That video quality seems to be on par with some of my better Brownings. Fast forward to 4 minutes to get to the critters...

I am supposed to have the campark this Tuesday and will put it out as soon as I get it. Will post a few picture when I pick up the card.

I had seen that video when I was looking for a camera and along with a few other videos that I see I decided to give it a try.

#18 take'em

take'em

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationBrookfield, NS

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

Thanks DD. That footage is pretty impressive coming from a $70 trail camera. Looking forward to your thoughts.

#19 Daddy Duncan

Daddy Duncan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Thanks DD. That footage is pretty impressive coming from a $70 trail camera. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Well overall I am impressed with the Campark T20. It is very small and only takes 4 AA batteries. It has lots of features, and one that it will take up to 3 pictures in a burst , with times between shots, that you program and will then take a video. So you can have photos and videos at the same time and a real good colour viewing screen. Impressive 130 degree field of view. Good day or night pictures and videos. So far the only thing that I find is that the on-off switch is very small, and you pretty well have to have a fingernail to switch it between the off-menu-on positions. It has a red flash and it will reach out there, more than adequate. I did some pictures and videos around the house and liked what I saw , it gathers light well and takes great pictures in that twilight zone coming daylight or dark.

I put the cam out at my bear site for a couple of days and retrieved the card this morning, , not much activity with this heat, but did get a few pictures and videos.  I repositioned the camera to another tree because I was not used to that wide field of view and was capturing  the next tree in my night videos, causing glare. Also I was getting morning sun in the pictures, also due to wide field of view, which had never entered my mind. so my next pictures should be better. For the price its a great buy as far as I am concerned.

https://imgur.com/lJRhka9]lJRhka9.jpg[/url]

https://i.imgur.com/DDp5nVE.jpg[/img]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users