19 replies to this topic

#1 hityad

hityad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

I am trying to decide between two gun clubs for myself and family in the HRM area- Atlantic Marksman Association and Nova Scotia Rifle Association.

Two big questions I have about them are : Steel targets use and Winter season range access.

Any feedback appreciated. 

Thanks

#2 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:03 PM

A long time ago I found AMA to be way to strict, too busy and too cliqueish.
Was a great club when Ralph Dunn was in charge but many changes since.
Not sure about NSRA haven’t been a member since the 90’s.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#3 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:33 PM

Depends what you want out of the club, more rifle than pistol?

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#4 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

AMA is pistol focused and very restrictive.  Restrictive in a weird way too - like no written RSO so nobody really knows what's allowed or not.   I left them over their guest policy and limited range access.

NSRA I don't know a lot about but they are more long distance rifle focused (800 yard range, backstop camera's etc.

MVRRC is a blend of the two, has a "wild west" reputation but has been good and reasonably strict from what I've seen.  Good guest policy and you take care of yourself for the most part, group shoots are rare.   Cheap annual fee but farther to drive.

#5 hityad

hityad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

Depends what you want out of the club, more rifle than pistol?

Rifle and Pistol both, I am the only one out of the family who has't got restricted licence yet, waiting on classes to resume with Saftey Nova Scotia.  I did a small visit at AMA, saw a few steel targets set on for pistol and a non AR500 steel gong at the 300 yard rifle range. What I couldn't find out was weather if they shut down during the winters and their policy for indoor range. 

#6 hityad

hityad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

AMA is pistol focused and very restrictive.  Restrictive in a weird way too - like no written RSO so nobody really knows what's allowed or not.   I left them over their guest policy and limited range access.

NSRA I don't know a lot about but they are more long distance rifle focused (800 yard range, backstop camera's etc.

MVRRC is a blend of the two, has a "wild west" reputation but has been good and reasonably strict from what I've seen.  Good guest policy and you take care of yourself for the most part, group shoots are rare.   Cheap annual fee but farther to drive.

I have been to one of the orientations for MVRRC and really liked them but with a very busy work schedule, a longer drive will only reduce my willingness to go. Not so sure about the guest policy with MVRRC but I heard from someone that one can only bring in 2 to 3 guests per year, which was pretty much the case AMA. I paid them a small visit and talk to one of the board members a bit, saw steel targets on pistol and 300 yard rifle range, inquired about steel and was told that its fine t use AR500 steel 50 yards and beyond. Only thing they were particular was not to use the IPSC area. 

How did you find their policies restrictive with guests and range time ?

#7 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

AMA only allows 2 guest passes per member per year and a guest can only visit twice in their lifetime, after that they have to buy their own membership.   Guests can only shoot the members guns, they can't bring their own, and the member and guest need to share a lane, the guest isn't allowed their own target.  Additionally the guest may not be allowed to shoot at all if it's a busy night.   I believe Tuesday nights and Saturdays are the only days the ranges are open for general shoots.

MVRRC guest policy is a $5 contribution per visit and they must be supervised by the member.  No limit on how many (as long as the are adequately supervised) and no limit on how often they can come.  They can bring their own guns and have their own targets.  Range is open for general shooting 7 days a week sunrise to sunset.  You can expect that an RSO will wander by and question you and watch to see that you are being safe and following the rules.

#8 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2274 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

I think mvrrc will be more of what your looking for . the range during normal conditions is open 7 days a week dawn to dusk . neither of the other 2 offer this . as the the guest policy I beleive there is a section in the firearms act that covers clubs and guest .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#9 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

MVRRC guests rules aren’t quite that liberal. As far as I can remember as of lately, you can bring as many guests as you want, however a guest can only go 3 times in a year before needing to buy their own membership. I recall that was something to do with how the insurance works. Yes guests can bring their own guns and shoot their own targets however you as the member must RSO them. You can not shoot at the same time as them. You must directly supervise them while they fire, and then they must cease shooting while you take your turn. Also if you take a group of friends since you are their RSO and need direct supervision you can only watch one at a time. So your group must take single turns.

Not really a big deal just be aware.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#10 hityad

hityad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

I read into the AMAs website about rules and regulation and some of them are absolutely absurd. Specially, One year wait period for eligibility to become an RO, until the one can't shoot alone. 

I am leaning more MVRRC at this point, regardless of the drive time. 

#11 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

I read into the AMAs website about rules and regulation and some of them are absolutely absurd. Specially, One year wait period for eligibility to become an RO, until the one can't shoot alone. 

I am leaning more MVRRC at this point, regardless of the drive time. 

Ditto for the same reasons.  :-)

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8778 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

MVRRC guests rules aren’t quite that liberal. As far as I can remember as of lately, you can bring as many guests as you want, however a guest can only go 3 times in a year before needing to buy their own membership. I recall that was something to do with how the insurance works. Yes guests can bring their own guns and shoot their own targets however you as the member must RSO them. You can not shoot at the same time as them. You must directly supervise them while they fire, and then they must cease shooting while you take your turn. Also if you take a group of friends since you are their RSO and need direct supervision you can only watch one at a time. So your group must take single turns.

Not really a big deal just be aware.

IIRC..You need the MVRRC certified RO course in order to RO a group of more than three.

**ANY guests** have to sign in under your membership number and they have to pay a $5.00 Insurance fee (per person-per visit) that goes in the honesty box. Only 3 visits per person per year as a guest of a member. You'll need a membership after that. 

**The clubs RO courses are put on from time to time by Peter Elliott..he was/has been putting them on at Hnatiuks. Course is 8 hrs / 2 evenings...cost was 125.00

(6 or 7 yrs ago) not sure if it's still the same or gone up.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:57 PM

I'll have to look into it more.  I asked all those questions during my safety brief there 2 years ago and the answers I got didn't have any hard limits or restrictions like that.

#14 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8778 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

Adam...who did your safety brief ?

Our club has grow so much, almost overwhelming , and we've had more that a few "instances" with new members...we've had to hire full time RO's and maintenance people to keep an eye on them.

***I had a couple guys show up with pistols and sks...setting up on rifle 1 ..he said the were in some type of militia "over there" and that gave them the right to shoot anywhere in the world. Couple of calls later and some deliberation...the self entitlist's left. 

**Another instance...Went to sign in after arriving...noticed 2 young guys working on a sks in the club house...I asked what the prob was..said the gun FTE and they were trying to clear it...I almost lost my mind on em ! Think they slept through their orientation.

These were only a few weeks apart while I happened to be there. Christ only knows how much more "unseen" instances occur.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#15 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

I had an interesting run in one day as well. Dad and I were there shooting rifles and I noticed some pistol shooters with no flag up. And there was nobody signed in the book. So I went over and see them shooting a steel garbage barrel. Told them they need a flag and can’t shoot garbage barrels. They said there were no targets up, to which I explained there’s a whole building full of frames for them. When I asked about them signing in they kind of looked at each other and one finally said ya we did. So I went and brought the book to them to show they didn’t. So they signed, and didn’t write a membership number. When I mentioned that they said they don’t have one and proceeded to explain that they are members of Nova Tactical (which hadn’t finished construction at that time) and they are allowed to shoot at the club while their range is getting finished.

I had enough at that point and left with dad, sending the range president a message to explain the situation. Didn’t feel like confronting a couple guys with pistols in hand over something stupid.

More commonly I just find people with no flag up, easy mistake, easy to fix, everyone’s happy.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#16 adam_h

adam_h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

I honestly don't remember, it was a 2 or 3 years ago.   Happily I haven't broken any rules either way, I guess I don't have that many friends.  lol

Adam...who did your safety brief ?

Our club has grow so much, almost overwhelming , and we've had more that a few "instances" with new members...we've had to hire full time RO's and maintenance people to keep an eye on them.

***I had a couple guys show up with pistols and sks...setting up on rifle 1 ..he said the were in some type of militia "over there" and that gave them the right to shoot anywhere in the world. Couple of calls later and some deliberation...the self entitlist's left. 

**Another instance...Went to sign in after arriving...noticed 2 young guys working on a sks in the club house...I asked what the prob was..said the gun FTE and they were trying to clear it...I almost lost my mind on em ! Think they slept through their orientation.

These were only a few weeks apart while I happened to be there. Christ only knows how much more "unseen" instances occur.

#17 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5346 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

Only ever had one little problem at MVRRC. I was using range #3 I think it is, ok for rifle and handguns. Couple guys drove right up to me, I had a table set up at 25 yds for hgs and had left my rifles back on the stand at 100yds. Anyway these two drive right up to me and say are you almost finished. When I said no,I have six hgs with me and four rifles so I’ll be quite a while, one guy replied WE WANT THIS RANGE SO YOU HAD BETTER BE DONE IN TEN MINUTES. Me standing there with a S&W 629 in my hand! I just laughed and said something stupid like GFY and started shooting.

But from what I’ve read above it looks like people are just driving in using the range and aren’t even members.
Most guys I run into there are friendly and helpful. Follow the rules which are in place for good reasons you should have no problems. Also best $ value.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#18 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:44 AM

Everyone's bad experiences at clubs like MVRRC are the reason why Atlantic Marksmen have strict rules and are risk adverse.  If you are an RO at Atlantic Marksmen you can go to the club anytime (outdoor or indoor) and shoot at your leisure. If you aren't then yes it sucks because you are restricted to Tuesday evening and Sat afternoon shoots. Most clubs are strict now with regards to guests because why would you sell 1 membership and allow someone to bring all their friends for free? if 1 person has a membership and another person always goes then you are ripping off the club by not having the membership revenue of the other person.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

#19 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8778 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:15 AM

I joined another gun club yesterday...the LRGC  (Lunenburg Rod & Gun Club). Been shooting their events for the past 5 or 6 years...great members there. They offer handgun, rifle, archery and they have a great shotgun contingent as well...an official skeet and trap field plus a brand new 100 round 12 station Sporting Clays course !!

It's about 1hr 45min drive for me which is absolutely nuthin...when I want to pull the trigger on my 425, my 625 or my CSX 20...lol

Surprised myself...shot a 22/25 first round of skeet...then dropped to a 17 then a 20..over all 59/75.. I was very pleased considering I haven't pulled a trigger since November...LOL

#20 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1290 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

I joined another gun club yesterday...the LRGC  (Lunenburg Rod & Gun Club). Been shooting their events for the past 5 or 6 years...great members there. They offer handgun, rifle, archery and they have a great shotgun contingent as well...an official skeet and trap field plus a brand new 100 round 12 station Sporting Clays course !!

It's about 1hr 45min drive for me which is absolutely nuthin...when I want to pull the trigger on my 425, my 625 or my CSX 20...lol

Surprised myself...shot a 22/25 first round of skeet...then dropped to a 17 then a 20..over all 59/75.. I was very pleased considering I haven't pulled a trigger since November...LOL

I have heard good things about LRGC, and another in the valley as well.

bad guy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shooting, gun clubs, sport shooting, Halifax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users