32 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

I use Lucas odor free gun oil on all my guns. What are other good ones that folks use?

#2 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

In use Essex oil on the moving parts and Johnson's paste wax on the stock and the rest.

Everybody has there own preferances.

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#3 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:06 AM

Would Murphys Lemon oil be a good  thing to use on your guns stock?  I have been using it lately with all this heat to keep the wood from drying out. Seems to be OK.

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:53 AM

G96 (aerosol) is my oil of choice for all my firearms...for the past 20+ yrs or more...it has excellent creeping abilities. Never ever worried about a deer sniffin my guns...and I've been lotsa close to some of them too !wink.png wink.png

Alan...I'd be more concerned about them sucking the moisture out of the air with all the GD humidity this summer than drying out from the heat.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

G96 (aerosol) is my oil of choice for all my firearms...for the past 20+ yrs or more...it has excellent creeping abilities. Never ever worried about a deer sniffin my guns...and I've been lotsa close to some of them too !wink.png wink.png

Alan...I'd be more concerned about them sucking the moisture out of the air with all the GD humidity this summer than drying out from the heat.

I read years ago about the odor thing. I think Lucas is one of the few that make the claim, it is why I use it. I think given the time frame most loose there odor over a period of time. I ain't cleaning guns the day before the season. Never ever put anything on my stocks. Always looked at it that the wood be kept free of everything except the finish. Some oil etc can damage the wood leaving dark spots. Some make it hard if refinishing.

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

I used to have the red Lucas gun oil...like 30 yrs ago...thought I read some wheres that it was just glorified tranny fluid (?)

I also use a home made Ed's Red solution ....works great. Hard on gun finishes, but it sure cleans up gummed and neglected parts !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

I used to have the red Lucas gun oil...like 30 yrs ago...thought I read some wheres that it was just glorified tranny fluid (?)

It is still being made. I never liked it but that is me

Cheers

https://www.amazon.c...z/dp/B000IG20RM

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

I am a stag frigidized  blue gun oil and johnson's paste wax dude for 40 plus years and have enough stashed to die using it with a full case plus about 6 bottles of oil and three cans of wax put away

I have tried most and never found another like the stag that stops rust especially in storage and loves semis

Cheers

0ceN6qP.jpg

#9 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:37 AM

Absolutely - this climate is a rifle’s worse enemy. Thank gawd for the ductless heat pump!  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#10 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

In use Essex oil on the moving parts and Johnson's paste wax on the stock and the rest.

Everybody has there own preferances.

Where do you buy Johnson’s paste wax?  Best stuff I ever used on cross country skis. 

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#11 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2641 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

I use Butches gun oil (looks like trans oil) or Birchwood Casey's Barricade.

I like Barricade as it goes on wet but it dries somewhat, I may have to switch at some point as I have not seen it in a store for years now.

I use Birchwood Casey's gun wax on wood stocks on occasion.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:19 AM

Would Murphys Lemon oil be a good  thing to use on your guns stock?  I have been using it lately with all this heat to keep the wood from drying out. Seems to be OK.

I have no idea but can share what the old man would say years ago and he did a fair amount of  smith work not saying he was any good LOL

Lemon oils contain a lot of solvents which work great for cleaning the wood on guns but leave a slippery finish which is not wanted and will not provide the protection a wax would when subjected to the elements

He would clean with it but that is it

All this being said I know some guys use it but I have never looked at their stocks either

I think safer with a good paste wax but that is just an opinion

Cheers

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

I use Butches gun oil (looks like trans oil) or Birchwood Casey's Barricade.

I like Barricade as it goes on wet but it dries somewhat, I may have to switch at some point as I have not seen it in a store for years now.

I use Birchwood Casey's gun wax on wood stocks on occasion.

Lots of guys seem to have good luck with that and like it

Cheers

#14 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2641 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:41 AM

I like it as it mostly rubs off, and doesn't leave the stock with a  slippery finish.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#15 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:49 AM

As kidd I remember my granddads kit haveing a can of singer sewing machine oil in it . my self I probably started with hoppies as that was my first kit . the last 20 plus years it has been G96 with the odd other brand thrown in(zip max clp , break free , balostol ) . I use electrical contact cleaner for shotgun chokes and threads . I really like the Outers nitro solvent bore cleaner used with felt cleaning pellets .for stock wax I use the birchwood casey product .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#16 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2641 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

What is Balistol a cleaner or gun oil? I have seen this but never used it.

#17 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

I also use a home made Ed's Red solution ....works great. Hard on gun finishes, but it sure cleans up gummed and neglected parts !!

Actually I have read where transmission fluid makes a great gun oil. It is probably what Lucas is sellingbiggrin.png

#18 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

It is still being made. I never liked it but that is me

Cheers

https://www.amazon.c...z/dp/B000IG20RM

Its sold these days at NAPA.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

Where do you buy Johnson’s paste wax?  Best stuff I ever used on cross country skis. 

Some say Walmart but I have never seen it there or anywhere  else in canada for years. Amazon canada also the odd time when someone sells it reasonable not crazy priced like now

I got mine state side for like 5 bucks a pound

It is now only$6.00 and change at their home depot if we ever get the chance again some day to go down there again

https://www.homedepo...00203/100154748

Cheers

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000DIWIM

#20 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

What is Balistol a cleaner or gun oil? I have seen this but never used it.

According to their site ballistol is a multi use cleaner/ lubricant .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users