11 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:35 PM

So I am still watching videos of knife making (forged in fire is not helping). Has any one ever used a circular saw blade to make a knife. Supposedly one can be made that does not need heat treating if one does it the old slow manual way, hacksaw and file. Watched a video the other night the guy made a beauty that was razor sharp. May be a winter project.

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:02 AM

Sell one of your remarlins...put a few bucks with it and buy a new Buck knife  ph34r.png ph34r.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

We have a member here 682bubba that makes knives and is doing blacksmith work with a shop. I am sure he will chime in to help

Cheers

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8840 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

So I am still watching videos of knife making (forged in fire is not helping). Has any one ever used a circular saw blade to make a knife. Supposedly one can be made that does not need heat treating if one does it the old slow manual way, hacksaw and file. Watched a video the other night the guy made a beauty that was razor sharp. May be a winter project.

would be a LOT BETTER show if they got rid of that ryan seacrest wanna be...what a FN doofus he is..."ONE HOUR HAS ELAPSED...YOU ONLY GOT 2 HOURS LEFT"

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2641 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

I would use a blade from a power hacksaw, already has the shape to start with and most likely a better metal to form a knife from.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#6 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

Listen to Kevin LOL...

#7 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2280 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

I like the idea of making ones own knife . something I may have to try . I know a couple people through traditional archery that make knifes and very nice ones I will add .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#8 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

Sell one of your remarlins...put a few bucks with it and buy a new Buck knife  ph34r.png ph34r.png

Went to CT today to get a knife, all sold out. Thought it was because of the pandemic but the lady told me a bunch that bought bolt, semi and pump action rifles there bought them all, she thought they were depressed from never shooting anythingbiggrin.png

#9 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:03 PM

I like the idea of making ones own knife . something I may have to try . I know a couple people through traditional archery that make knifes and very nice ones I will add .

Some good videos on you tube. I have no forge but one can take there time and make one cutting and filing as to not overheat the metal. I also see skate blades being used, one would already have the curl in the end. Its going to be my winter project. 

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Went to CT today to get a knife, all sold out. Thought it was because of the pandemic but the lady told me a bunch that bought bolt, semi and pump action rifles there bought them all, she thought they were depressed from never shooting anythingbiggrin.png

What about a grohmann seconds. I have bought them over the years and they are real good quality even if seconds

http://www.gknives.c...earance?start=0

Cheers

#11 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3068 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:28 PM

What about a grohmann seconds. I have bought them over the years and they are real good quality even if seconds

http://www.gknives.c...earance?start=0

Cheers

I did that years ago, but honestly I was not impressed. I have two from there. I am a buck guy, back when they made the real buck knifes. I used to pick them up in the US when I was in the military. The new buck knifes are not the same. I have a collection more than firearms. This is just a winter project. Have a wood shop and some old circular blades laying around.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10432 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:52 PM

I did that years ago, but honestly I was not impressed. I have two from there. I am a buck guy, back when they made the real buck knifes. I used to pick them up in the US when I was in the military. The new buck knifes are not the same. I have a collection more than firearms. This is just a winter project. Have a wood shop and some old circular blades laying around.

Understand. I found them good but that is me

I liked the bucks also and still have four vintage ones here my 119 and 118 which will die with me ( have ties to my dad) and a 110 and a 103 that were not used much

Sadly I bought all black handles at the time sad.png

I remember checking them a few years ago on the buck stamping chart and three were 72-86 and the 118 61-67??

They are all made in USA. Never bought any after they went over seas since what I had was fine Not sure what year that was

Was told years ago never to leave a buck knife get real dull and you will have no problem sharpening it which many guys had issues with years ago and screwed a lot of good knives on the grinder

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users