Bob Bancroft: Forest Plantations Defy Science, Ignore Economics - Conservation - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Bob Bancroft: Forest Plantations Defy Science, Ignore Economics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:58 PM

The Nova Scotia Department of Lands and Forestry and the forestry industry are planning to replace more than 800,000 acres of fertile public forest land with softwood plantations that are simplified, even-aged crop rotation systems largely devoid of nature. This feat will be accomplished at tremendous public and environmental expense. Ignoring long-term economic and scientific realities, it flies in the face of history and will produce only short-term, private profits.

https://www.thechron...onomics-486986/

#2 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:33 AM

Too bad the govt is still stuck in the dark ages with their ideas/agendas on economic growth. Hope more people voice their concerns for the future of our woods and waters.

#3 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:24 AM

nothing...and I mean NOTHING this fekkin gub'ment does to make sure it's sleeping partners have their pockets filled surprises me anymore !!!!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#4 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:18 AM

Unreal how backwards thinking our government is on forestry.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

Unreal how backwards thinking our government is on forestry.

It is not just forestry :(

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:04 AM

The only thing any government in this province as ever done natural resource wise is squeeze every penny out of it with out putting any thing back . 

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#7 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 27 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

Am I correct to assume that if these 800 000 acres are plantation .they will also be off limits to hunting and trapping .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#8 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

Am I correct to assume that if these 800 000 acres are plantation .they will also be off limits to hunting and trapping .

what makes you assume this?

#9 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:07 AM

Well I though I read in the regulation or the wildlife act that land used for plantation could not be hunted . and I can't find it again . I know the general regs say you can not hunt with in legal distance of a woods operation meaning active harvesting .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#10 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:44 AM

Well I though I read in the regulation or the wildlife act that land used for plantation could not be hunted . and I can't find it again . I know the general regs say you can not hunt with in legal distance of a woods operation meaning active harvesting .

Yeah - like a lot of our hunting regs references - its confusing & difficult to find. The Protection of Property Act has tree plantation under the list of property types where you need to ask permission to enter.

So, if areas of Crown Land are planted with trees and its classed as a tree plantation then hunters will need ask the Queen for permission.biggrin.png

#11 Steadydraw

Steadydraw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

A key part that the article failed to mention is that the plantations are part of the triad forest management system. 

In short, triad forest management is a zoning approach to achieving multiple economic, environmental and social objectives and consists of three zones: protected zone (parks, wilderness areas, nature reserves ect), extensive zone (partial harvesting), and intensive zone (plantations with intensive silviculture regimes). The intent of the intensive zone is to maximize production of wood fiber on a smaller portion of the land base so that economic objectives can be obtained, while less intensive forest practices (or none, in the case of the protected zone) are used on the rest of the land base to manage for other values.  

This system is used in New Zealand, lookup "triad forest management" if you're interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users