#1 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1808 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:56 PM

I can't wait for bunny season to come, there was a bunny in the yard as I pulled in, it took off running. I got Maggie out on the training leash and she was going crazy on the scent, nearly pulled me arm off
It's been a while since I had her out but I'm sure she remembers. I'm not sure what was going faster ,her tail or her sniffing. I do know that her legs were going once she hit that fresh scent!

Only 2 1/2 more months before I can RELEASE THE HOUNDS !!
can i go hunting yet??

#2 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

That’s 21/2 months Tim.75 days sure ain’t next week.

No longer who now it’s TIM LET THE DOGS OUT
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#3 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

My dogs are not hunting dogs, but I'm astounded how poorly they see.  Then I read an article on the web about how canine and cat vision work.  At distance, they cannot make out anything if it is still.  I've had my dog on a leash within 10 feet of a cat before it becomes obvious there is a cat there.  They sniff accurately and know a cat has been by, but they don't see it.  However canine and cat are able to see motion at a great distance.  So it's really motion that sets off the visual trigger.  Useful to know for hunting coyotes too.

#4 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

My dogs are not hunting dogs, but I'm astounded how poorly they see.  Then I read an article on the web about how canine and cat vision work.  At distance, they cannot make out anything if it is still.  I've had my dog on a leash within 10 feet of a cat before it becomes obvious there is a cat there.  They sniff accurately and know a cat has been by, but they don't see it.  However canine and cat are able to see motion at a great distance.  So it's really motion that sets off the visual trigger.  Useful to know for hunting coyotes too.

I notice the same with my beagle - sometimes I am trying to point out a bunny that's downwind - no chance until it moves.  :-)

Just the other day I was sitting on the deck and the dog was laying in the sun.  Then he gets up and walks 10 feet to sniff and poke at a single strand of spider web dangling from the BBQ.   I am sure the sun shining on it had something to do with him seeing it, but I was thinking "Oh sure, THAT you can spot!"  ha ha

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users