#1 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:13 AM

Best of luck to those heading out tomorrow for the opener of the early goose season . remember the 3 B ies and be safe .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:58 PM

Locked , loaded and geared up , gone thru everything from spending last two days cleaning guns , going over gear , rechecking decoys , tuning up the out board , checking emergency kit for boat , motor and trailer , to getting some grub and gas.

Going try shoot video for the opener , this yr going try video most our hunts , best of luck guys and gals and be safe , leave the booze or funny stuff at home and stay sober , it's not just your life you may save but someone else's as well .

Have a great one !
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

I was kind of surprised that none of what I call the local old die hard waterfowl hunters are going. Talked to most of them over the past two weeks at the table and all say they hate hunting geese when it is this warm and still have too many summer things to get done and there is tons of time when it cools down to get their freezers full

Even mad Brain and those that know who I mean knows he never misses a chance says too many dam flys and the geese don't move much this time of year and he had a bad experience last year with some going green after a couple of hours so not going

Don't know myself since I have never hunted them here this time of year but remember hunting some real warm October days in t shirts in PEI over the years and it was all good other than yes we did have a big fish tub with ice in it to toss the birds in before taking them to the pluckers

Best of luck to those that are out and one thing for sure here more local geese this year than ever

Cheers 

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:21 AM

Any one have any luck ???

#5 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:05 AM

A buddy of mine was out for the opener .seen a couple flocks that did not even bat an eye at his spread . I haven't bothered with the early season in a couple years . to warm and birds go bad to quick .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#6 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:17 AM

Well yesterday started of like this , up at 3:30 am , we got up got our gear in the truck , (father/son trip ) daughter got called for early day shift so she cancelled night b4 , no biggie .

Headed to Timmies , friggin closed on backshift now , Mc.donalds drive thru , they were not taking orders for what ever reason but said open 24 hours !

Anyhow headed down to Forchu/Framboise , got down not a deer sighting whole time , just one bunny who fell victim to the trailer , nothing to do there . Got down and backed the truck down the old boat launch area we use and got out to listen around 5:10 am .

Lots of sounds of geese in distant along with ducks going off in all directions of us , tide was going down fast , checked the charts and it was dead low .08m at 6-6:30 plus had to back down in that stinky mud to launch the boat , man that stinks hard at times . Got it set up and seen the sun slowly starting from a distance so rowed out to deeper water , set down the old Johnson out board , one shot and away we went , slowing down at time to try listen which direction birds were staged .

Weather was 17 Degrees ,mostly clear sky with few clouds , slight westerly breeze , not enough tho to move the stagnant heavy air so we knew it was not going be easy hunt as birds will just sit and feast where there are at as long as tide stayed low , got to outter island on low troll to not push birds to far from sound of the outboard . Luckily there were only about 200 yards out , snuck around , dropped in the decoys and waited for sun rise to load up . Guns are always kept cased even in the boat till sun up.

Started calling just at sun rise , no go, the birds stay staged in one cove and along the edge of the mud/grass flat , it was like that till finally at about 8:40 couple moved out , but birds still not in mood to get off the water , air was thick with humidity , @8:53am they came off the water about 200+ , split up in groups some only 2-7 finally got couple to turn with our calls and come into range but not close enough for both to get shots off I was hidden super a large spruce next to our blind when 2 birds came straight at me , let the browning gold do it job and both hit the water dead as a door nail , Nice no chasing . My son rang his browning silver he just bought streach it's legs and rocked a single goose hard but it went for a tumble in the grass on beach side . Damm a big bird can hide in that stuff so easily , after 20 mins search it popped up , whack gave another round to finish it as it was still full of life heading for open water .

Sat there for a hour regained ourselves and nothing seemed moving , said let go jump shoot the coves , Damm lots of ducks but no geese , checked several blind sites but nothing . Headed to another island to check a blind sights and heard a single goose way out in the bay , said we have to investigate that fella just in case we crippled it , just then two flew directly over over heads , Damm it my gun still in the boat and my son was at the ready smacked both one dead on water the other went for 3/4km glide to open water and hit it hard , off again back across the low water till got in the channel and chase was on , Damm thing kept diving to try get away , finally stopped the boat said soon as it pops up give it to em , that was end if that , 4 birds and getting hot , , thankfully a cooler filled with ice at the truck ,enough we are done , let's check that one out the bay it's still honking out there . Got about 100yds away and it took off . Said oh well don't think its hurt.

Back to the truck , waters low and outboard is struggling in these shallows , back down the deeper side we went , lots of birds around , seen a otter while in the blind very early who wanted tease our decoys . Few eagles along white a White Egret , took pics and video only to see my new memory card did not format properly and did not save on my phone , ffs . It is what it is , but we had fun and had great day with memories we both will hold for yrs to come.

Was up to my ears in pin feathers on one the geese , the others not so bad , but chested and legged them all out even save the wing meat , wifey started looking at her recipes last night as I was snoring away after good a drink to end the day .

#7 DH11

DH11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

Sounds like a great day! 

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

Great opener Walter !! Thanks for posting it !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#9 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

Thanks guys , heading back out Friday I'm hoping youngest daughter bags her first goose .

#10 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:23 PM

Great story Walter. The birds I have don't seem to be moving much yet as they still in their small family groups.

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:01 AM

Saw 2 big bunches in Lunenburg on Sat Lloyd. One lot right across from the sauerkraut plant and the other bunch in the same place (field) we saw them last time.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:03 AM

Great story Walter. The birds I have don't seem to be moving much yet as they still in their small family groups.

Seemed to be the same once those birds lifted in family groups , they split up pretty small , even watching with binos, we noticed they were staying in about 6-7 groups on the water . Got few that fly over the house here regularly and it's just small groups , looking at the birds you can clearly see the jeveniles with the adults

#13 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

Seen a person hunting goose yesterday in Springfield . Had a low ground blind and a bunch of decoys standing in the field. He was no further than 150 ft from the highway and well within range of a few houses . If I had more time I should have stopped..

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#14 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

After looking at the map and getting distances The hunter was 500 ft from a nice house which is empty (owner died). The second house was 258 ft from (could be the hunter) and other houses are 1000 ft away. So with shotgun it could be legal to hunt there. Was set up shooting away from highway #10.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:34 PM

After looking at the map and getting distances The hunter was 500 ft from a nice house which is empty (owner died). The second house was 258 ft from (could be the hunter) and other houses are 1000 ft away. So with shotgun it could be legal to hunt there. Was set up shooting away from highway #10.

?? Thought it was 597 feet for a shotgun

#16 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

182 Meters for shotgun.

I might be off a bit in my measurement

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

182 Meters for shotgun.

I might be off a bit in my measurement

Yep 597 feet so he is not ok IMHO

Cheers

#18 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2752 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

I never hunt with houses in sight anywhere , outta sight outta mind , not that I'm up to anything , just don't want the chance of someone get offended there's a hunt taking place or just anything for that matter , we were out this morning for hunt and trust me we were well away from nearest House , Road or Person , it was perfect SOCAIL distancing as well , only one goose but it was great just getting out and getting feel where the ducks àre feeding and staging up , had quite a load of ducks going by the blind this morning , huge flocks of 20-30 birds at once .

For us when we go I truly need be away from everything and everyone , I had bad encounter 34 yrs ago and still have a reminder in my left hand that could not be removed. I go out my way not to have others where I'm at.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 September 2020 - 07:53 AM

I never hunt with houses in sight anywhere , outta sight outta mind , not that I'm up to anything , just don't want the chance of someone get offended there's a hunt taking place or just anything for that matter , we were out this morning for hunt and trust me we were well away from nearest House , Road or Person , it was perfect SOCAIL distancing as well , only one goose but it was great just getting out and getting feel where the ducks àre feeding and staging up , had quite a load of ducks going by the blind this morning , huge flocks of 20-30 birds at once .

For us when we go I truly need be away from everything and everyone , I had bad encounter 34 yrs ago and still have a reminder in my left hand that could not be removed. I go out my way not to have others where I'm at.

Smart IMO. Today in 2020 the odds of something negative coming out of it is very high

ALL hunters need is some fool posting a video of something crippled or wounded for the tree huggers to see

The days of support for hunters and hunting  are long gone by most of the general population in many areas and many think it is just barbaric and no longer required

Cheers

#20 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1797 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:03 AM

My neice, a tree hugger extreme, was always giving me a hard time about deer hunting until she hit one while driving after dark totalling the car. Her insurance company got her a rental while she was looking for a new one and getting the paperwork done and 2 days later she hit another deer in the same area damaging the rental.
I told her that if it wasn't for us hunters she would be hitting them every other day due to the sheer number of them. Now she sees the importance of hunting in keeping the numbers to a more manageable level.
She is now out in BC working for the government as a conservation officer and making 6 figures, shes not 30 yet and looks like shes doing well
can i go hunting yet??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users