17 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:25 AM

Stopped into one of my favourite hunting supply stores yesterday to finish off my 22 ammo stash, and was told by the owner to buy whatever I see now that I might need because it might be a long time before they get it in again.

He told me that all ammo is hard to come by.

I'm going through my stock to see what I'm low on and restock it.

12 gauge,both shot and slugs,,32 Special,30-30,maybe a few 20 gauge as well.

22 is my most used,hand guns and rifles.

I did notice that his shelves were very low in ammo and a lot of empty spaces as well, usually this time of year his shelves are full.

His CCI- 22- Cal was always stocked up full, yesterday very few left on the shelf.

#2 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:58 AM

Stopped into one of my favourite hunting supply stores yesterday to finish off my 22 ammo stash, and was told by the owner to buy whatever I see now that I might need because it might be a long time before they get it in again.

He told me that all ammo is hard to come by.

I'm going through my stock to see what I'm low on and restock it.

12 gauge,both shot and slugs,,32 Special,30-30,maybe a few 20 gauge as well.

22 is my most used,hand guns and rifles.

I did notice that his shelves were very low in ammo and a lot of empty spaces as well, usually this time of year his shelves are full.

His CCI- 22- Cal was always stocked up full, yesterday very few left on the shelf.

Stopped at Cabellas Friday, over half the ammo shelves are empty.

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Had two guys in the last week ask me to buy some lead shotgun shells which never happens

Told them I cannot sell reloads sorry it is illegal

One said the last 4 boxes of 20ga lead 7 1/2 at any canadian tire east of halifax ( when they checked ) were in  sydney yesterday and he was getting them and they didnot know even if more were coming in this year

So yes it is well on the way the shortage it seems

Cheers

#4 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1797 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Joe, me and the wife are thinking of making a trip to CB in October, if your buddies want a supply from Halifax let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Anyone else along the way too I suppose I could get a few for.
can i go hunting yet??

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

I watched 104 shooters at the Beretta Sporting Clay shoot yesterday empty Ross' trailer(s) of about 425 cases (likely more than that) of various shotgun ammo !!!!

Some clubs got 100 cases, some got 50 cases...individuals getting anywhere from 15 cases to 1 case and everything in between ! I only got 7...couple of 410 and 5 12 ga.

He said he has no problem getting it in when he wants it...so far.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:55 AM

Cabellas got a big online sale on right now on winchester ammo i got what i needed plus shipping is free over 150...

#7 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a new way to push gun control. what is the good of a gun if you can't get ammo for it

#8 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3205 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

Had two guys in the last week ask me to buy some lead shotgun shells which never happens

Told them I cannot sell reloads sorry it is illegal

One said the last 4 boxes of 20ga lead 7 1/2 at any canadian tire east of halifax ( when they checked ) were in  sydney yesterday and he was getting them and they didnot know even if more were coming in this year

So yes it is well on the way the shortage it seems

Cheers

If you need a lever and ammo I got you covered.

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

Joe, me and the wife are thinking of making a trip to CB in October, if your buddies want a supply from Halifax let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Anyone else along the way too I suppose I could get a few for.

Thanks for the offer but he will shoot maybe one box a year so will be fine if he gets a box even in sydney

take care

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

If you need a lever and ammo I got you covered.

I might some day :(

All I have is that 22 mag winchester in a lever now :)

#11 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:47 PM

I bought a box or 3030 last week . 20 rounds should last me 6-7 years depending if i shoot the big pigs with it. I'm a one shot animal down guy .Not a box before breakfast  guy.

like at the camp I used to go to.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:51 PM

I bought a box or 3030 last week . 20 rounds should last me 6-7 years depending if i shoot the big pigs with it. I'm a one shot animal down guy .Not a box before breakfast  guy.

like at the camp I used to go to.

You you sound like my grandfather :) and nothing wrong with that

One box was 10 deer. One round a year to make sure the gun went bang and the second to kill the deer

Cheers

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8947 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:58 PM

Sounds like a new way to push gun control. what is the good of a gun if you can't get ammo for it

ALAN......REEEE....LOOOOOOOAD  laugh.png laugh.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#14 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

tried that Kevin,,just not my thing,,too much cost,,too much of everything,just toooo much headache,,lol

#15 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

I was in the Bayer's Lake CT on Friday and they have a variety of calibres still in stock.  Maybe not a specific brand you'd normally buy, but there is 223, 308, 22, 9mm, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, etc.  Number of shelve slots with a card indicating no stock is probably at around 10% of their offerings.  Around 2014 or so was far worse for lack of 22.  That's what we see so far, who knows what it looks like by next year.

#16 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:50 PM

Cabelas has free shipping today (Sunday) with no minimum if you get on it in the next few hours.  Maybe over priced, but they have ammo in stock online.

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10832 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:15 AM

Cabellas got a big online sale on right now on winchester ammo i got what i needed plus shipping is free over 150...

Yes sir, the buggers however have a max weight as I found out trying to order a batch of shotgun ammo for a bud with no computer

Not sure what it is however

Cheers

#18 MikeD.

MikeD.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

It's because of the upcoming American election, same thing happened in 2016.  People stock up on ammo in expectation of the "civil war" that will break out if the Democrats win.  Not that it's peaceful there now....some people are nuts.

I was at BPS back in March just before the big lockdown, I was amazed at the number of people buying guns and ammo.  This pandemic bullshit has made the most level headed person reconsider their priorities with respect to protecting themselves and their families. I can only hope the civil unrest, riots and unruly protests don't make their way north of the border, JT would take away the rights of a million to please a group of 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users