31 replies to this topic

#1 grabbers

grabbers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

Happy and safe hunting to all you lot who will be out tomorrow with bow in hand!  

Best of luck and lets see those pics! 

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:13 AM

Yes best to luck to all bow hunters

Cheers

#3 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2686 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Good luck to the bow hunters and stay safe.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#4 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

Heads up to anyone getting licences around the city - the bedford Cdn Tire doesn't have any and the girl i was talking to didn't know why or when they would.  Bayer's lake had them though.   

It's funny, I was out Bedford way on the weekend and thought I'd go there to avoid the traffic nightmare of Bayer's lake and all I did was end up going to both.   Of well, Ranger enjoyed the double pats from everyone and I looked around two (seemed to be lots of ammo in both BTW).

#5 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

Heads up to anyone getting licences around the city - the bedford Cdn Tire doesn't have any and the girl i was talking to didn't know why or when they would.  Bayer's lake had them though.   

It's funny, I was out Bedford way on the weekend and thought I'd go there to avoid the traffic nightmare of Bayer's lake and all I did was end up going to both.   Of well, Ranger enjoyed the double pats from everyone and I looked around two (seemed to be lots of ammo in both BTW).

I figured the foolishness would start so I got them all early.

#6 take'em

take'em

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationBrookfield, NS

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

Could’ve cut my archery tag at 6:58am - nice doe came by but she got a pass.

#7 Long Range

Long Range

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationHant county

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:55 PM

Was at the river blind pm yesterday. At 4:30pm I noticed movement across the river to my hard right.Thru the trees I seen a large dry doe we seen before. Smoke pole went off, found her on my third big circle piled up 30y away hard right. not a speck of blood or hair could be seen had it out by 9;30 last night. big dry cowbiggrin.png.

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

Congrats..Way ta go Steve !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#9 Long Range

Long Range

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationHant county

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Kevin,

#10 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

Tagged out with the CVA  today at 4pm on a good sized buck (with only one antler, but he should eat good ).when he came out he stood there broadside about 75yards away .I put the smoke pole up ,squeezed off a shot and he did the mule kick so i figured i hit him .Watched him run up into a thicket on the side hill .Watched him for a minute or so ,long enough to tell i missed him .So i reloaded cause you never know and it was only 4pm ( i did plan to get down and check for blood once he disappeared  .)But he didn't ,he slowly and carefully made his way back toward me ,couldn't believe it . I could see him between some small maples facing towards me about 45 yards away .He kept doing the head bob ,trying to figure out what made all that noise .The next time he put his head down i put a 300grain nosler through the top of his neck and out through the bottom of his chest .He dropped right there ,kicked a few times and was done .Took me until 6pm to get him out ,getting old i guess smile.png.I'll try to load a pic here tomorrow ,like i said not much for antler  but some meat .

Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:27 PM

Congrats Pete !..That's when somethings meant for ya...LOL

just know...you're not alone gettin a second crack with the smoke pole at the same deer....right superslickie wink.png wink.png tongue.png tongue.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

Kevin I took two deer minutes apart, one broadside 20yards the other probably 25yards looking at the first one. Make it even better it was the first year we were allowed to hunt Sunday, first Sunday and both were down before 9am
can i go hunting yet??

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

not the 2 for 1 deal...lol...I was talking about the doe you said you missed ..it stood there for ya, you reloaded and connected on the second shot (sittin in a pop up IIRC)

#14 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Kevin , the old back is feeling it today smile.png

#15 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1825 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

not the 2 for 1 deal...lol...I was talking about the doe you said you missed ..it stood there for ya, you reloaded and connected on the second shot (sittin in a pop up IIRC)

Yup that was my first year hunting with the muzzle loader and I had a wet powder poof, lots of smoke and she just stood there watching me reload. Her mistake
can i go hunting yet??

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

Congrats Pete nice to put some meat in the freezer!
So did you get him on the old golf course next to you? LOL
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#17 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Tripple d ,yes it is nice to have meat in the freezer .Don't know where you think i live ,but there's no old golf course near me (ps i hunt in the woods smile.png)

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Tripple d ,yes it is nice to have meat in the freezer .Don't know where you think i live ,but there's no old golf course near me (ps i hunt in the woods smile.png)

LOL yep only 3D has golf course deer binds laugh.png

#19 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Tripple d ,yes it is nice to have meat in the freezer .Don't know where you think i live ,but there's no old golf course near me (ps i hunt in the woods :))

It’s says you live in Hammonds Plains. Pin Hi golf course club house was just past Lucasville Rd and the course kind of followed along part of Lucasville Rd across from Mike Herman and sons. Looks like it may be getting developed now. There are/ were a lot of deer in there. There was also a lot of woods there at one time, same as Glenn Arbor, Kingswood etc etc etc........ there used to be a DLF rifle range off the hammonds plains road as well but guess what’s there now............. not woods that’s for sure,lol.
The amount of development is mind staggering when one stops to think about it

Yes I hunt in the woods too, for both deer and golf balls! Not my own golf balls tho,lol.
Nothing better then being in the woods far enough back where you cannot hear any noises of civilization!
Anyway Pete good luck in the general season too!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#20 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:08 PM

LOL yep only 3D has golf course deer binds :lol:

Not allowed to hunt on golf courses joe, UNLESS it’s closed for the season!
I was golfing one time at Granite Springs golf course in mid Oct. That’s out towards Peggy’s Cove.Not a lot of golfers around at the time of year. Behind the green maybe 75yds on the 12 hole two guys were gutting a deer and using the cart path on their 4 wheelers. When I told them I was thinking of hunting the area as well they turned very greyish ! There were tons of deer in there, but it is well back in the woods.
Sherwood golf course is way back in the woods too, used to hunt that area. Knew ol John ( he owned the course as well as wood motors ford ) before he got nailed for evading taxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users