• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1808 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:05 AM

I see princess auto has a 3/4 hp meat band saw on sale
Has a built in meat grinder
$377.77

This is just a fyi and I dont know how it performs as I don't own one.
can i go hunting yet??

#2 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

I had one  ...... Dont buy one. The saw part  blade always cuts the Teflon guides and that ends up as powder all through the meat.. Grinder was all right.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

Made by same company that builds King Canada power tools , absolute junk !

Had same issue as Razorback on the King Brand , when I was setting up my meat cutting , company refunded me in full and bought a used meat saw from my uncle who cut meat for yrs , thought he sold it long ago but simp!y put it in storage , the old Hobart saws just can't beat em
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

I had a King Band saw,paid around $450.00

sold it at a yard sale few months ago for $5.00 just to get it out of my sight,shame,used it about 1 hour total tops in about 5 years same as new,,but like you say Junk!!!

#5 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:31 AM

Made by same company that builds King Canada power tools , absolute junk !

Had same issue as Razorback on the King Brand , when I was setting up my meat cutting , company refunded me in full and bought a used meat saw from my uncle who cut meat for yrs , thought he sold it long ago but simp!y put it in storage , the old Hobart saws just can't beat em

Couldn't agree with you more. I had that same King band saw and I ended up giving it away. I bought this old used Hobart for $200.00 and spent double that on a new motor and some machine work that had to be done on it but it works find now. I'm really satisfied with it. 

VyMNo6B.jpg

Most of our crew don't bother saving some of the larger moose bones so I cut them up and save them for stock. The Hobart has no problems handling these at all ( unlike my old King..!). 

0V54Dsy.jpg

#6 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3246 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

When I was out west farmers would go to the auto salvage and get to full car hubs. They would weld up a frame and bolt one hub at the top like a band saw and one on the bottom adjustable with electric motor. The hubs have a raised section on them that when the blade is tight its what it runs up against this and keeps it from coming off. It was the simplest set up for them to cut up meat. Always thought of making one but just to many projects.

#7 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

Couldn't agree with you more. I had that same King band saw and I ended up giving it away. I bought this old used Hobart for $200.00 and spent double that on a new motor and some machine work that had to be done on it but it works find now. I'm really satisfied with it. 

VyMNo6B.jpg

Most of our crew don't bother saving some of the larger moose bones so I cut them up and save them for stock. The Hobart has no problems handling these at all ( unlike my old King..!). 

0V54Dsy.jpg

Yes David G , those old Hobart's cut alot of meat in their days , mine came from grocery store from my home town where my uncle used it daily for yrs , like you needed get new motor for mine and do some cleaning on it but it told thru those larger bones very easily , stuck a 1 1/4 Hp motor to it with few adjustments.

Funny today's saws are all stainless and aluminum , mine weighs quite a bit from the cast iron legs and steel body , but no fears of it tilting over ,can't wait get new garage built and make dedicated room in there just for that purpose as well as skinning/drying fur
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

VyMNo6B.jpg

Very nice vintage Hobart saw

Reminds me of a 2 hp hobart model 5614 that I first used at mendelasons grocery store as a young boy in the 70's

Man I could take that apart and clean it in my sleep and the only issues was pulley bearings from time to time but that ran 6 days a week

Cheers 

#9 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1058 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

3macs1, This is model 5014. I think that it was manufactured in 1961.

When I first starting using it, I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was to clean it... no tools required...all disassembly by hand and very easy. The King needed several different sizes of Allen wrenches to take it apart and reassemble ( a pain in the neck). With the Hobart a complete clean-up and reassembly only takes me 30 minutes.

Some of my friends will bring over large turkeys or hams to cut in half and I don't mine because the cleanup is so easy.  One of my hunting buddies that was on our hunt last year: (Robert...with the Franklin stove ) likes all his venison cut with the bone in. Since I've had the saw we've butchered a number of his deer completely with the band saw including the bone-in round steak. Man it doesn't take long to butcher a whole deer this way...the saw does all the work.  

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

3macs1, This is model 5014. I think that it was manufactured in 1961.

When I first starting using it, I couldn't believe how easy and fast it was to clean it... no tools required...all disassembly by hand and very easy. The King needed several different sizes of Allen wrenches to take it apart and reassemble ( a pain in the neck). With the Hobart a complete clean-up and reassembly only takes me 30 minutes.

Some of my friends will bring over large turkeys or hams to cut in half and I don't mine because the cleanup is so easy.  One of my hunting buddies that was on our hunt last year: (Robert...with the Franklin stove ) likes all his venison cut with the bone in. Since I've had the saw we've butchered a number of his deer completely with the band saw including the bone-in round steak. Man it doesn't take long to butcher a whole deer this way...the saw does all the work.  

Too cool

Yep 61 I would say you are bang on I even found the manual.The 5614 pretty much same saw other than made in the 70's and slight differences

Funny how I remember it so well. Must have something to do with everyone else going home every night I worked and having to stay behind to clean it LOL for 7 years :(

Thanks for sharing

Joe

https://www.alfaco.c...5014-Manual.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users