#1 Moose Magoo

Moose Magoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • LocationFall River

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

So the word is that the natives are shutting down the Provincial moose hunt because of the events at Southwest Nova. The Mi’kmaq will have a press release shortly according to Chief Googoo (and for the record he is no relation to Moose Magoo).  

2020 - the year to forget !  

......... and Trudeau says "the budget will balance itself" 

#2 DAKOTA

DAKOTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

And Here We Go !!

#3 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

That's excellentangry.png I think soon someone is going to get hurt. We had trains that they tried to burn, tracks that were sabotaged. These are not good times right now with many stressed. Someone coming off the mountain in a tractor trailer probably ain't going to stop for no blockade.

#4 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

GMT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2780 posts
  • LocationGrand Mira

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

I'm not happy , 30 plus yrs waiting to go again , money spent scouting , time put in we've done tags purchased ,

Ffs , they simply need be told , I watched couple vids taken by natives released publicly , the racism they say about non natives was incredible to say the least , making threats they burn boats if they were stopped to go fishing (illegally ) No Federal Licences issued .

My comment is simply this , if they claim they can manage a lobster fishery , they better look in the mirror and look how they managed their own moose hunting , lobsters will be non existent where they plan to fish cause they will clean it in 10-15 yrs easily .

Cowardly Governments better step in and put this to rest quickly and just tell them straight out back down b4 someone does get hurt !
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:56 PM

After reading this and cannot see how any government regardless who they are can fix this. Regulate  catch sizes yes maybe but not much more unless I am missing something

Ridiculous they are attacking the moose hunt

https://people.stfx..../Factsheet1.pdf

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9057 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

**Few fun facts about the Atlantic lobster that I've learned over the past 45 years of fishing ***

The lobster molts in the summer time when the food is most abundant and the waters are warmest. It take at least 3 months for a lobster to "harden off " properly, and this can only be done in warm waters...NOT the cold water that some believe. Too warm waters will often lead to a second molt at the very end of summer...early fall making the quality of the meat go down.

During the molt, the lobster will take in a LOT of water...enuff to split their shells along the back of the carapace !! They're so fluid like during this stage...they can pull their whole claws out thru their knuckles...it's an amazing process to behold !!!

The average lobster will increase 45% in size when it molts...right after the molt the females can be bred while soft...retaining the sperm till they need it (Lewinski )  or wish to produce the eggs. 

Females lay approx 10,000 eggs per lb of body weight...with a 95% mortality rate of ever becoming an adult   !!!!!!   One of THEE Highest in the ocean !  

Most females make for the shoaler waters in late spring may / june to release last years batch of eggs in the warmer coastal waters.

The newly hatched lobsters spend the next 3-10 weeks at the mercy of the tides and currents as they live in the top 2-3 meters of the ocean. When they decide to settle to the bottom and go down...if the water is too cold, they will perish !...It's a gamble when they do.

During the shell hardening process, the lobster meat is of very poor quality...it's 45% water in the shells...this is the reason for "empty shell lobsters"...or sick lobsters. It will eventually be absorbed by the lobster and be turned back into meat. 

The time of this fishery and the harvesting of these sick / recently molted lobsters and the berried females(full of eggs) are what's being kept in this summer "food / ceremonial fishery. This is one of the main reasons for the uprising.   

Most fishermen and groups want the natives to ...Fish them when the other seasons are on...the winter fishery !! When their shells are fuller, landing a much better  product  for all...and returning the undersized and berried females back to the waters to continue producing and be part of the sustainable fishery(not being done by all boats)

just a little bit of info to bring some of you up to speed on the stuff that never gets mentioned by the righteous with rights about the privileged with privileges

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

cut off their cheques......fair is fair right?
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#8 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

Incidentally.....if I had a moose tag, I'd damned we'll be going hunting and phuk anyone who wants to stop me.
Research has shown that 1 in 5 Liberal supporters is "just as stupid" as the other 4!

A liberal is a lot like a slinkey........They both put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs!

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

Incidentally.....if I had a moose tag, I'd damned we'll be going hunting and phuk anyone who wants to stop me.

Such tough talk but easy knowing it would be the end of the world if you or I ever got drawn sad.png  

Yep I would be listening to mom and getting a shower and put a white sheet on, find an old bible  and wait for Jesus to beam in . Not that he would be taking me :(

#10 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:08 PM

Such tough talk but easy knowing it would be the end of the world if your hike or I ever got drawn :(  

Yep I would be listening to mom and getting a shower and put a white sheet on, find an old bible  and wait for Jesus to beam in . Not that he would be taking me :(

While I doubt I'll ever get drawn, I stand by what I said. If I had I tag, I most definitely be going. This bs has got to stop.

#11 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:12 PM

I'm not happy , 30 plus yrs waiting to go again , money spent scouting , time put in we've done tags purchased ,
Ffs , they simply need be told , I watched couple vids taken by natives released publicly , the racism they say about non natives was incredible to say the least , making threats they burn boats if they were stopped to go fishing (illegally ) No Federal Licences issued .
My comment is simply this , if they claim they can manage a lobster fishery , they better look in the mirror and look how they managed their own moose hunting , lobsters will be non existent where they plan to fish cause they will clean it in 10-15 yrs easily .
Cowardly Governments better step in and put this to rest quickly and just tell them straight out back down b4 someone does get hurt !

Very well said.

#12 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

They don’t have the right to try and stop anyone from hunting moose here or anywhere else so either our government steps in and does what is necessary OR people just run through their road block. Maybe like a convoy of a dozen fully loaded logging trucks!
LOOKS LIKE WE GOT US A CONVOY CROSS THE USA ( in this case the highlands )
OL JOHN DENVER BLARING ON THE RADIO

CRASHED THE GATE DOING NINETY EIGHT SINGING LET THEM TRUCKER ROLL 10-4
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#13 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:53 PM

The decision allows them to earn a moderate living period.
It also allows our gov to limit their catch and regulate their season.

TIMES ARE CHANGING TIME FOR NEW LAWS OVER RIDING TREATIES

ALL PEOPLE REGARDLESS OF COLOUR,RACE,CREED,RELIGION,SEX,SEXUALL PREFERENCE ETC ETC HAVE TO BE TREATED EQUAL ONE SET OF LAWS RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR EVERYONE!

TIME FOR FEDERAL GOV TO GROW A SET !!!!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#14 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:07 PM

What gives the natives any power to stop the moose hunt ??? The moose are not “native” to CB. They were only introduced a couple of generations ago, and as far as I know, they weren’t brought in specifically for the natives. They are not their moose. 

#15 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5610 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

Will the natives stop the Meat cove guys from hunting ha ha not likely!

#16 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

Actually, they have full control over all things moose in Cape Breton. This includes our hunt and wether we get to have it. The problem is we've got no balls and they do.....we need to grow some.

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:37 AM

Actually, they have full control over all things moose in Cape Breton. This includes our hunt and wether we get to have it. The problem is we've got no balls and they do.....we need to grow some.

Nothing to do with having balls. They have treaty rights we don't. Plain and simple

Cheers

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:38 AM

While I doubt I'll ever get drawn, I stand by what I said. If I had I tag, I most definitely be going. This bs has got to stop.

Has to stop yes. But you are not living in west virginia

Cross them and I am sure you will be charged for something

Look at the last 10 years of blockages across canada says it all

Cheers

#19 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:15 AM

Truth..........>Pete

**Few fun facts about the Atlantic lobster that I've learned over the past 45 years of fishing ***

The lobster molts in the summer time when the food is most abundant and the waters are warmest. It take at least 3 months for a lobster to "harden off " properly, and this can only be done in warm waters...NOT the cold water that some believe. Too warm waters will often lead to a second molt at the very end of summer...early fall making the quality of the meat go down.

During the molt, the lobster will take in a LOT of water...enuff to split their shells along the back of the carapace !! They're so fluid like during this stage...they can pull their whole claws out thru their knuckles...it's an amazing process to behold !!!

The average lobster will increase 45% in size when it molts...right after the molt the females can be bred while soft...retaining the sperm till they need it (Lewinski )  or wish to produce the eggs. 

Females lay approx 10,000 eggs per lb of body weight...with a 95% mortality rate of ever becoming an adult   !!!!!!   One of THEE Highest in the ocean !  

Most females make for the shoaler waters in late spring may / june to release last years batch of eggs in the warmer coastal waters.

The newly hatched lobsters spend the next 3-10 weeks at the mercy of the tides and currents as they live in the top 2-3 meters of the ocean. When they decide to settle to the bottom and go down...if the water is too cold, they will perish !...It's a gamble when they do.

During the shell hardening process, the lobster meat is of very poor quality...it's 45% water in the shells...this is the reason for "empty shell lobsters"...or sick lobsters. It will eventually be absorbed by the lobster and be turned back into meat. 

The time of this fishery and the harvesting of these sick / recently molted lobsters and the berried females(full of eggs) are what's being kept in this summer "food / ceremonial fishery. This is one of the main reasons for the uprising.   

Most fishermen and groups want the natives to ...Fish them when the other seasons are on...the winter fishery !! When their shells are fuller, landing a much better  product  for all...and returning the undersized and berried females back to the waters to continue producing and be part of the sustainable fishery(not being done by all boats)

just a little bit of info to bring some of you up to speed on the stuff that never gets mentioned by the righteous with rights about the privileged with privileges

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only with a doe draw, in my opinion. >Pete

#20 682bubba

682bubba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationCape Breton Island NS Canada

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:53 AM

We got lobster once from Sobeys in late fall for relatives when they came home they were terrible just basically a empty shell and there was no taste so now i know why, its cause of the molting and basically we were charged for water lol.I dont know where the lobster came from but i havn't bought anymore in the same time frame nor will i ever after reading this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users