17 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:52 AM

Bought my grandson a 30-30 Savage 219 break open single shot,When I would open it up and go to close it sometimes it would jam up and not close up all the way. Couldn't figure it out at first until I realized when you had it open you had to reset the hammer again causing the firing pin to with draw back inside the chamber. To do this you had to push the break open lever all the way over again as if you were going to open it.

Watched a u-tube video showing the reset when the gun was open but he couldn't understand why that was,,that is why,sort of not breaking off the firing pin I guess if you came on to it to close it. tip for today,,,lol

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

There are two different 219 designs now. That is why you are seeing what you are

Not my words

There are different versions of Savage 219/220 single shots, and all barrels are NOT interchangeable.

There are Model 219's, 219B's 219C's & 219L's.

The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical progression of improved models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to re-cock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has one, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
If it has none, the gun can use any barrel.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition is safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.

#3 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

Tell me,, if that doesn't make ones head spin. I'm dizzy from reading that,any idea what I have,,lol,,no serial #, ejects like you wouldn't believe,almost have to wear safety glasses.

great little rifle,great shape

#4 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:48 PM

Tell me,, if that doesn't make ones head spin. I'm dizzy from reading that,any idea what I have,,lol,,no serial #, ejects like you wouldn't believe,almost have to wear safety glasses.

great little rifle,great shape

Sorry, See if this helps

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

Note the second  large pin & hole on the rear of the receiver frame, the second is for attachment of a internal pivoting hammer.

And the silver colored plunger protruding from the RH side of the barrel lug, which is part of the cocking mechanism, there being a S shaped arm (cocking arm) inside the frame that engages the plunger, cocking the gun when the barrel is lowered for extraction.

Z5GgPZP.jpg

or this one

nWuZDJX.jpg

I don't own any 219's but have one 220a in 28ga :)

#5 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

On the barrel below the lug there is a lever about 2 inches long with a half moon bent off to the side.doesn't look like any break open that I seen before,would that be it,but this is on the barrel itself.

Mine is like the bottom picture,just the one pin showing

#6 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

On the barrel below the lug there is a lever about 2 inches long with a half moon bent off to the side.doesn't look like any break open that I seen before,would that be it,but this is on the barrel itself.

Mine is like the bottom picture,just the one pin showing

Like this

JDEBnO7.jpg

#7 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

I know my grandson would want a sling put on it so I put a barrel swivel on it.Got one to fit a Winchester 94 mag tube and it fitted perfect on the barrel.

#8 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

like that exactly,,

#9 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

how does the forearm fasten on that one,,mine just pushes on,I don't think it would stay on with a sling attached to it.

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

like that exactly,,

You must have bought it used or many years ago did you. That is the original design.

#11 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

how does the forearm fasten on that one,,mine just pushes on,I don't think it would stay on with a sling attached to it.

Cannot help you with that one. Mine just snaps on also

#12 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

Mine has to be manually cocked every time when you reload, that's what I think anyway,if you don't cock it by the break open lever the firing pin stays out causing you not to be able to close it until you cock it

#13 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

Mine has to be manually cocked every time when you reload, that's what I think anyway,if you don't cock it by the break open lever the firing pin stays out causing you not to be able to close it until you cock it

Yep with the lever

#14 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

Supposed to be from early 40's the gun hasn't been used much,still stiff to open and close it. like to send you pics of it but I can't figure that simple task yet,terrible isn't it,,haha

#15 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:27 PM

Supposed to be from early 40's the gun hasn't been used much,still stiff to open and close it. like to send you pics of it but I can't figure that simple task yet,terrible isn't it,,haha

Yes sir I would say it is . One of the quality keepers for sure. Nice gun

#16 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

that part that I was telling you about is for the ejector I would think,It has one hell of a ejector on it,you would never find the empty in the woods,I would say it throws the casing 20-30 feet back and it's moving

.I'm scared he might get it in the eye if he's not careful.

#17 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

So,,would this be one that you can interchange the barrel on?

#18 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11107 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:23 AM

So,,would this be one that you can interchange the barrel on?

Yes all new and old designs should fit

The odd time joesalter will have one for sale I find

Cheers

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users