25 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

I need a scope with lots of elevation adjustment. I know there out there. I believe the average scope has 120 clicks start to stop. Anyone know of a manufacture that makes one with more?

#2 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:13 AM

That is like 31 inches is it not @ 100. Must be a 30/30 lever is it unsure.png

#3 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2686 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

Check out the adjustment range of Leupold scopes, they may adjust more than most and you will have an excellent quality scope as well.

Start with VX 3 and higher.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#4 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:34 PM

That is like 31 inches is it not @ 100. Must be a 30/30 lever is it unsure.png

I bought a model 64 Winchester 44 mag from Ellwood Epps, newer Winchester. They said it had a 20 inch barrel, but instead it arrived with a 18 inch if that. I have several scopes here, and low, med, high mounts, tried them all at the range and none will adjust down enough for site in. I scoured the internet looking for this rifle to find out its a rare little gun that came with rear ghost ring site and a forward rail for a scout scope. I could go that route but honestly not a fan of scout scope setup. I need a scope that has just a little more adjustment. Someone has to make them.

#5 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:46 PM

I bought a model 64 Winchester 44 mag from Ellwood Epps, newer Winchester. They said it had a 20 inch barrel, but instead it arrived with a 18 inch if that. I have several scopes here, and low, med, high mounts, tried them all at the range and none will adjust down enough for site in. I scoured the internet looking for this rifle to find out its a rare little gun that came with rear ghost ring site and a forward rail for a scout scope. I could go that route but honestly not a fan of scout scope setup. I need a scope that has just a little more adjustment. Someone has to make them.

You need one of the tapered scope rails not a new scope but they are pricey. Tac guys use them and they will go to 70

Cheers

#6 Clarence

Clarence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

Sounds more like a ring/base problem 

#7 Clarence

Clarence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

Try .010 inch shim under front base to get lower point of aim.

#8 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:43 PM

I found this read interesting

https://precisionrif...ormance-part-2/

#9 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:34 PM

Sounds more like a ring/base problem 

I tried every version starting with high right down to the receiver pretty well that casing would have problems ejecting. One thing I noticed about this rifle is how quick it slopes down once the barrel leaves the receiver.

#10 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

Try .010 inch shim under front base to get lower point of aim.

Its that I cannot lower, not raise sorry. It being a winchester 94 model the rear scope mount holes leave really no area to shim as the bolt goes through the scope mount.

#11 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

I found this read interesting

https://precisionrif...ormance-part-2/

Very interesting thanks. I see where Bushnell did not rate high in adjustment range.

#12 Clarence

Clarence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

To lower the shot you need to shim the front scope base higher.Backward from iron sights.

#13 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:43 PM

To lower the shot you need to shim the front scope base higher.Backward from iron sights.

This could be the cure. My buddy had to shim the bases on a rem. pump 3006 so he could zero his rifle using weaver bases and a bushnell banner scope. His scope also ran out of adjustment
PS I had a savage 99 c in 308 W and it had a two piece base system with one base higher than the other.

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11125 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

Very interesting thanks. I see where Bushnell did not rate high in adjustment range.

If I was going to play with the mount I would just buy some MOA offset rings

Burris makes them for like 80 bucks a set for 1" tube I think but that was years ago

Cheers

https://www.burrisop...instruction.pdf

Seems now they can be bought rings and inserts separate

Burris Optics Pos-Align Offset Ring Inserts for 1-Inch Signature Scope Rings

#15 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

This could be the cure. My buddy had to shim the bases on a rem. pump 3006 so he could zero his rifle using weaver bases and a bushnell banner scope. His scope also ran out of adjustment
PS I had a savage 99 c in 308 W and it had a two piece base system with one base higher than the other.

Thought about getting my son to machine a little of one mount?

#16 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

So tell me more. Is this rifle top eject. How many inches high is your point of impact
when the scope runs out of adjustment. Are the front and rear mounts level across the receiver or is one slightly lower than the other?
Is the windage adjustment good? If the windage is good and your only problem is up and down, and you are only need a couple of inches to the point of impact at 100 yards you could follow Clarence advise with a .010 shim under the front base to bring the cross hairs up closer to the rifles point of impact. You will need to dial your scope back so that after you made this shim adjustment you can use the up / Down adjustments to dial the crosshairs to zero. You can experiment with shims and mounts that are high enough to let the top eject work if this is the case. In my opinion machining a little off one mount is too much of a permanent fix . If this does not work you could follow 3mac suggestion and buy the Burris offset ring inserts as they provide a good range of adjustment and protect the scope at the same time.

#17 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

So tell me more. Is this rifle top eject. How many inches high is your point of impact
when the scope runs out of adjustment. Are the front and rear mounts level across the receiver or is one slightly lower than the other?
Is the windage adjustment good? If the windage is good and your only problem is up and down, and you are only need a couple of inches to the point of impact at 100 yards you could follow Clarence advise with a .010 shim under the front base to bring the cross hairs up closer to the rifles point of impact. You will need to dial your scope back so that after you made this shim adjustment you can use the up / Down adjustments to dial the crosshairs to zero. You can experiment with shims and mounts that are high enough to let the top eject work if this is the case. In my opinion machining a little off one mount is too much of a permanent fix . If this does not work you could follow 3mac suggestion and buy the Burris offset ring inserts as they provide a good range of adjustment and protect the scope at the same time.

AE eject. I run out of adjustment down, I get to about 4-5 inches at 50 yards when it runs out. This is a AE winchester 44 mag which means not a very big receiver, not a long range shooting rifle. The rear mount sits only on both sides the edge of the receiver, 1/8 inch each side as the bolt has to pass through. No real surface to shim. To be honest I cannot see shimming the front site if I want the scope to come down unless I am missing some thing. Gun shoots fine with open sites. If I shoot bullseye at 50 and with out moving the rifle try to adjust down cross hairs to intersect the bullet I can only dial the scope in to 4-5 inches above it the point of impact. The windage is good. Tried five different mounts, five different scopes I had at home, even went to a gun shop and bought another scope and new AE mounts. That did not work. I had one that came close, a shotgun scope, but it to was at its max.

#18 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

THunderstick check your pm

#19 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:04 PM

Is this rifle your are trying to put a scope on?
https://www.winchest...mber-scout.html

#20 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:27 PM

Is this rifle your are trying to put a scope on?
https://www.winchest...mber-scout.html

Yes that's it. I found that one night on a site. It appears some came that way. I have the name of the company to purchase the scout setup from but I am not a fan of it. I did see the PM. I was out baiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users