5 replies to this topic

#1 NorthWind

NorthWind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:51 AM

Well yesterday I spent the day in the blind with my crossbow, late in the afternoon it started raining so I decided to leave a little early. I got back to the vehicle took out my hunting bolt and put in the discharge bolt and fired into a sandy bank. As soon as the bolt hit I knew it broke, proceeded to go over and pick up the pieces and was about to turn around when I felt something strike the heel of my boot. To my amazement when I looked down it was a leg hold coyote trap. Of all the ground around me I was able to find a 5 inch piece of ground that had a trap buried under it, I bought a lotto ticket last night but I didn't win. My apologizes to the owner of the trap, I placed it in the bushed next to the drag just in case prying eyes came across it.

Northwind

#2 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

I used to have a concern about getting into a conibear trap, and watched some videos about how to open them up with a boot string or similar.  But I've never encountered one.  I think usually they are placed in something like a bucket on its side where no one would be walking.

I've noticed some spots marked off with a set of strings between trees and trail marking tape on each.  I've assumed there is likely a trap inside the zone.

#3 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

At least you owned up to what took place and put it where it could be found by the trapper , I'm sure he be happy it was not stolen and if they see or hear of this thread knows it was a "accidental catch " lol .

I'll pass word around in the trapping groups

Take care out there and good luck
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

I used to have a concern about getting into a conibear trap, and watched some videos about how to open them up with a boot string or similar.  But I've never encountered one.  I think usually they are placed in something like a bucket on its side where no one would be walking.

I've noticed some spots marked off with a set of strings between trees and trail marking tape on each.  I've assumed there is likely a trap inside the zone.

All conibear traps set larger then 6" (160 model ).that you think might get caught in SHOULD be set inside a dog proof enclosure. or 60" above the ground. Smaller one 110-120 size not going to hurt a foot in a boot.

Although they can break a few finger if your hand was to be inside of one.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 MikeD.

MikeD.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:49 AM

I just hope my beagle doesn't end up in one, that would suck.

#6 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2899 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:02 PM

Supposed to be dog proof .

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users