15 replies to this topic

#1 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

OK,Here we go ,,,what types of cleaning rod do all you people use,What I mean is what material is the rod itself,,,,,brass,,,stainless steel,,,fibre glass,,,aluminum

My self I like the brass,,,followed by aluminum,and/or fibreglass one piece rod.

Guess bore snakes are not the most popular on here,,but still I got one for a 30-30 and must say it works great ,,no complaints.

Thanks guys.

I know my grandson is going to ask,this way I can him that you guys say this ???? is the most preferred...LOL

#2 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

Still use brass rods followed by aluminum , have few Carbon Fiber rods which I really like , but yes I do use bore snakes for quick jobs , nothing wrong with them at all but don't rely on them for full thuro cleaning .
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

All brass here except for a few Al shotgun rods

Cheers

#4 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:57 PM

Stainless steel could do damage to the bore could it not,compared to brass or other types of material.

I bought a Pro- Shot cleaning kit from Trade-Ex and paid around $75.00 shipped and that had stainless steel rod in it. I thought it was brass. but I smoothed out all the connecting ends and gave them a slight tapper so they wouldn't catch on the bore or chamber when pushing them through. so looks all good

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:32 PM

1 pc rods for me..also use the pellet system instead of patches. Love it !!  I use either Tipton or Dewey rods, newest one is a Tipton...Oh, BTW, ...and they're steel too  ohmy.png ohmy.png 

I also use a bore guide on MOST of my guns almost all the time. Plus... there's no rod joints to hang up on the mouth of the chambers with the 1 pc set up.

Works well for me. 

During the early years, I've broken more than a few 3 pc aluminum and brass rods ...then I wised up tongue.png tongue.png

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

I use the same system as Kevin 1 pc dewey rods and the felt pelts . also have bore guides as all my rifles are bolt action . still useing the same old 3 pc aluminim rod for shot guns .I do have bore snakes but find them a pain in the azz to use .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#7 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:31 AM

I use a one piece Tipton coated rod and bore guides as well.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#8 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

During the early years, I've broken more than a few 3 pc aluminum and brass rods ...then I wised up tongue.png tongue.png

Really?  Wow!  I am curious - do you know how / why?

I've never had any kind of serious force on a rod when cleaning - how did yours get so jammed up that it broke...?  Especially multiple times!

Clarification - I tried rewording that a couple of times and it keeps sounding like I am saying "What did you do wrong?"  That's not what I mean at all!  I'm curious if we have a different way of cleaning.  Specifically - is there a better way than the way I do it since I don't have that kind of force...?

As for the org question - I use the standard ol' 3 piece rod. 

I also have a little pocket sized kit I picked up @ the Kittery Trading Post a few years ago.  I take it to the camp when I am hunting - it has a nice cable pull through "rod" that I really like.  I really should get a stronger one (the little one would likely not stand up to FT use) and use it instead of my rods - I find it easier and easier on the gun (IMO of course).

R

#9 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

That's what I was thinking when someone got a bore snake stuck in his barrel.only thing that I can think of,(and I'm by no means a professional) is that he might of used the wrong size snake ,,,like a 12 gauge in a 20 gauge or a 22 in a 17,I tried a 32 bore snake in a 30-30 and I'll tell you there is a bitter sweet difference between the 2 ,,you wouldn't think that there would be but try it if you get a chance

#10 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Interesting what the manufacturer says

Their answer:

We have heard numerous extraction methods, but the only thing that we
recommend is for the individual not to put any oils/solvent down the
barrel if the snake breaks. It will cause the snake to swell, thus
becoming harder to dislodge. We haven't found a recommended extraction
method yet.

#11 Winchester94

Winchester94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

I still can't see if it's the right cal, why it would jam that tight,I can see it maybe a bit tighter than normal but to jam and break if you pull hard on it?????????

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

Really?  Wow!  I am curious - do you know how / why?

I've never had any kind of serious force on a rod when cleaning - how did yours get so jammed up that it broke...?  Especially multiple times!

Clarification - I tried rewording that a couple of times and it keeps sounding like I am saying "What did you do wrong?"  That's not what I mean at all!  I'm curious if we have a different way of cleaning.  Specifically - is there a better way than the way I do it since I don't have that kind of force...?

As for the org question - I use the standard ol' 3 piece rod. 

I also have a little pocket sized kit I picked up @ the Kittery Trading Post a few years ago.  I take it to the camp when I am hunting - it has a nice cable pull through "rod" that I really like.  I really should get a stronger one (the little one would likely not stand up to FT use) and use it instead of my rods - I find it easier and easier on the gun (IMO of course).

R

Rob..Stress on the joints from over size brushes, plugs, patches and FILTHY ~ FILTHY almost plugged bores ...esp old 22's and O/U 22/20 ga's !!

Of course polishing chambers and barrels with only 1 or 2 sections of them old skinny rods didn't do em any good either  wink.png wink.png  

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:41 PM

Joe / Alan...I'm not sure if I over heard or if I read about it ???   a guy using a wooden dowel and a half and half mallet from the muzzle end to get a broken snake out

#14 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

Joe / Alan...I'm not sure if I over heard or if I read about it ???   a guy using a wooden dowel and a half and half mallet from the muzzle end to get a broken snake out

I have only done one and not my gun and it did zero damage

I took a long steel rod of much smaller diameter and got it blood red with the torch and it pushed right through melting the snake  enough that it came out stuck to the rod

Not recommending that but it was that or scrap the gun since it would not pound out

Cheers

#15 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

For my experience with a stuck bore snake it was a 10/22 and it was a Hoppes bore snake for a 22.  I used the "tie the bore snake to a tree" method and hauled back on the gun with strong yanks until it came out.  I don't remember if there was CLP involved, but it's likely there was.  I don't recall reading on the instructions not to.  In the Hoppes instructions online, It talks about adding solvent at the head and lube at the tail.  There is no chance I did that as I don't own all those products.

https://www.hoppes.c...Final_Lores.pdf

My bore snake was in the garbage immediately after the experience.  I have no bore scope so I don't know if it left a scar, but it shoots accurately.

#16 Joyrider

Joyrider

So much anger towards everything... :-(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:24 AM

Rob..Stress on the joints from over size brushes, plugs, patches and FILTHY ~ FILTHY almost plugged bores ...esp old 22's and O/U 22/20 ga's !!

Of course polishing chambers and barrels with only 1 or 2 sections of them old skinny rods didn't do em any good either  wink.png wink.png  

Got ya!  :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users