#1 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

Just wondering how many grouse your incountering on your travels . I am finding numbers in some places are up and others down . a couple covers I hunt I have yet to put a bird up and in other spots multiple coveys of birds .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:50 AM

NULL & VOID where I seem to roam  LLoyd.  sad.png ..I did see one ditch chicken tho....on my way to Truro on Friday rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

Just wondering how many grouse your incountering on your travels . I am finding numbers in some places are up and others down . a couple covers I hunt I have yet to put a bird up and in other spots multiple coveys of birds .

Isn’t that par for the course- lots in one place and not in an other place.
We’ve been lucky enough to shoot a few.
My son and I intend to shoot some pheasants this yr as well. Fella used to be involved with the upland bird assoc ( George Cunningham) passed away earlier this yr. His son wants someone to hunt with him and his two Brits.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#4 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 02 November 2020 - 04:46 PM

Isn’t that par for the course- lots in one place and not in an other place.
We’ve been lucky enough to shoot a few.
My son and I intend to shoot some pheasants this yr as well. Fella used to be involved with the upland bird assoc ( George Cunningham) passed away earlier this yr. His son wants someone to hunt with him and his two Brits.

Its been my experince that the areas I hunt will have low numbers . meaning you usally aleast flush birds .the couple spots with no birds is mulitple trips through the cover on different days .without even a flush . DDD sorry to hear of Georges passing . if there ever was a statesmen of shotgunning Geogre was it .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#5 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:24 PM

Its been my experince that the areas I hunt will have low numbers . meaning you usally aleast flush birds .the couple spots with no birds is mulitple trips through the cover on different days .without even a flush . DDD sorry to hear of Georges passing . if there ever was a statesmen of shotgunning Geogre was it .

George was a good fellow once you got to know him lol. George had a brain tumour and didn’t know it. His son found him on the back deck and rushed him to the hospital but it was too late. Lived in my subdivision and his son mike will be keeping the house and the dogs but selling some of George’s guns. Mike loves animals and cannot kill a deer but he has no problem shooting pheasants duck etc. Go figure!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#6 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 02 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Im part of noaah , a mentor program, and we went out yesterday to look for a few birds. We put up 5 and he managed to get his first.
Then i showed him how to field dress it and sent him home with a recipe to try.
can i go hunting yet??

#7 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2463 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:26 AM

havent been out much however did notice in the Summer there didnt seem to be many young ones around.

#8 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 03 November 2020 - 05:37 AM

There are a few where I hunt in zone 102. They scare the be-Jesus out of me every day. Not as many around as there were in past years.

#9 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:31 AM

Know any one with a bird dog that could go with you. That will tell for sure

I know many times I would think the birds are gone and then take the britts out and find nope they were there just not flushing for some reason as normal

My bud had 6 this week on his apple pile

Cheers

#10 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:52 AM

I see very few here, but saw or heard of lots of little ones in the Spring.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#11 em.fisher

em.fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationLunenberg

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

Not bagged one on our place this year, so to answer the question zippity zero grouse :(

#12 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well to give a comparison I have been to guysbrough county on 2 trips harvested 9 birds in those 2 trips . I seen easly 3 times that many birds . halifax county the only 2 birds I have gotten are road kills 1 that flew into the side of an on coming car . the other flew into the side of my car both on the 357 with in a couple km of one another . can't find one any where else lol .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

#13 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:12 PM

Seen quite a few of spruce partridge in the past few days while out deer hunting.

#14 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:21 PM

I hit the woods pretty hard in October and I definitely noticed the population was down in my areas. I think my best day was 3 flushes with 1 down. Other then that day I was lucky to see one. Might get out again after deer season.

There is no Wifi in the woods, but you will find a better connection.

#15 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:19 PM

In years past I enjoyed a seldom traveled trail where I could always hear a flush, and came home with a couple of birds over the season.  I would guess there were a couple of dozen grouse in the area.  This trail had large mushrooms where the ATV treads would normally run, so I knew it was not being hunted, unless by foot.

Last year someone started a camp or bait area some distance from the trail, and cut back bush growth impeding their ATV travels.  There were no more mushrooms when I walked it.  After 4 trips there, in various times of day and weather, and not a sign of grouse, I've given up on it.  I have to conclude who ever it was, hunted them out or down to miniscule numbers.

Hunters who won't understand conservation should stay home.  I know they won't make the birds extinct, but if you know you've taken a few from the same area and the flushes are getting seldom, stop hunting it and move on to another spot.

I have found a few more trails with grouse so I'm hunting those new (to me) areas.

#16 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

Was talking to a friend of mine and dince he tagged out early hes been looking for birds.
Got 4 today and 4 last Saturday. He says the numbers are ip where he goes, either that or hes getting them all
can i go hunting yet??

#17 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

For what it is worth I asked a friend yesterday who hunts them more than most here and out a few times a week

He says he is about the same as past years as far as harvest but finding them not in their normal spots and more in groups by apple trees for the most part

Like he said never in all his years has he seen so many apples on the trees as this year and trees that would normally have a couple of apples full

Cheers

#18 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

There are zero apple trees within 10+ KMs of regions where I hunt.  Does your friend hunt the wood lands trails at all, or only farm land?  My point being that if someone in Truro who doesn't even hunt was asked about deer numbers they would say there are too many deer.  Measuring numbers in human habitats isn't meaningful.

#19 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:39 PM

There are zero apple trees within 10+ KMs of regions where I hunt.  Does your friend hunt the wood lands trails at all, or only farm land?  My point being that if someone in Truro who doesn't even hunt was asked about deer numbers they would say there are too many deer.  Measuring numbers in human habitats isn't meaningful.

In the valley ??? no apple trees for 10 kms I figured that would not be the case??. No idea what your point is

Not human habitat but lots of what we call wild crab apple trees there along trails and in fields where he hunts. An area I hunted my self since I was 12 but sure has grown in

All I am saying is IF there are any apple trees where you hunt check them out this year or buy some Britts to find what you are walking by and only a gun dog owner will agree with me there

20 years now since I got my first Britt and could not believe it until my first few trips out how many birds there was in areas I thought their was none

No idea where you hunt but maybe this may show a trend for your area

https://novascotia.c...dgame-stats.asp

Cheers

#20 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:17 PM

I hunt in the wilderness.  For me, a part of hunting is to explore new places in the wilderness.  I do not hunt farmland nor anywhere close to farmland.  Grouse and some other birds like to get some sand and gravel for their digestion system, so walking along the old woods trails is a natural way to find them.  As I said, there are no apple trees that far out from civilization.

Unless it's some effect of our warm temperatures, I'm feeling like the grouse numbers are getting low in many areas.  There are many more trails I once saw grown over that are now groomed for ATV traffic.  I have yet to see any mushrooms on a trail anywhere I've walked this year.  The hunting pressure seems to have increased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users