Grouse Numbers In Your Area - Page 2 - Upland Bird Hunting - Nova Scotia Hunting

Photo

Grouse Numbers In Your Area

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:28 AM

I hunt in the wilderness.  For me, a part of hunting is to explore new places in the wilderness.  I do not hunt farmland nor anywhere close to farmland.  Grouse and some other birds like to get some sand and gravel for their digestion system, so walking along the old woods trails is a natural way to find them.  As I said, there are no apple trees that far out from civilization.

Unless it's some effect of our warm temperatures, I'm feeling like the grouse numbers are getting low in many areas.  There are many more trails I once saw grown over that are now groomed for ATV traffic.  I have yet to see any mushrooms on a trail anywhere I've walked this year.  The hunting pressure seems to have increased.

Well from my experience which changed with the first upland bird dog who showed me how many I was walking by wilderness in the form you mention will hold some for sure but not like other places if bagging birds is the main goal

Some seem to have similar experiences here but hey to each their own . What ever works and you enjoy

Cheers

https://www.novascot...grouse-hunters/

#22 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

Did this ever take off??

https://www.novascot...iety-of-canada/

#23 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:07 PM

Saw a covey of 8 sprucies yesterday morning !! First one in about 3 yrs

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#24 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

Did this ever take off??

https://www.novascot...iety-of-canada/

I find their premise amusing.  Everything I read says it is the cutting down of trees and their regrowth which creates more habitat for grouse and some other species that get no nourishment from an old growth forest.  One document said there are likely more grouse now, due to human forestry activity, than there would have been 300 years ago.

But it also sounds like there are more grouse near farmland than in the woods now, if that's what 3macs1 means by "other places".  If so, that's like the deer going urban.

If the trend continues, the woods will be empty and every species will become like starlings, crows, racoons, etc. - living on human handouts or waste.  At least there are still lots of squirrels and chickadees in the woods - they also like human handouts but so far they have no given up on being wild.

#25 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:22 PM

I find their premise amusing.  Everything I read says it is the cutting down of trees and their regrowth which creates more habitat for grouse and some other species that get no nourishment from an old growth forest.  One document said there are likely more grouse now, due to human forestry activity, than there would have been 300 years ago.

But it also sounds like there are more grouse near farmland than in the woods now, if that's what 3macs1 means by "other places".  If so, that's like the deer going urban.

If the trend continues, the woods will be empty and every species will become like starlings, crows, racoons, etc. - living on human handouts or waste.  At least there are still lots of squirrels and chickadees in the woods - they also like human handouts but so far they have no given up on being wild.

Not sure what trend to mean. Your location Maybe ?? but not province wide. Are the harvest numbers down in that NS harvest chart provided for your location . I have no clue what county you hunt in to check

Some are down but not alarming high percentages, if anything is down it is the numbers of hours spent hunting them CB is half from 2016 from the reporting 

Higher grouse numbers near old farmland is not new or at least not new since the 60's when I started to hunt

Cheers

#26 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

Proper logging, forest fires etc are essential to providing good habitats for all wildlife.
Yes there are grouse in “ wilderness areas” if you can find a true wilderness area in NS. Yes grouse live in areas where there are no apple tree, fruit trees,farmland etc and in good numbers. However today’s hunters like the easy way and grouse are easier to find in and around old farms and apple trees etc. The majority of today’s hunters are lazy and pick the easy route to success. Just look at deer hunting 95% of deer hunters hunt over bait or just watch fields. In comparison 30 yrs ago 95% of hunters still hunted. But if it’s legal then go for it.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

Lazy and easy was never a factor in our grouse hunting. We hunted where the most birds were and later in life when I got the dogs they confirmed that day after day

Cheers

#28 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:53 PM

The trend I'm referring to is all nature moves to human civilization like the racoons, crows, deer, etc.

I don't need to be in the woods all the time to notice this.  Snow, mud and scat shows a record of who is out there.  Animals learn they are safe in human habitat, not safe in the wilderness.  If you're ever in a big national park this can be demonstrated clearly.  At Gross Morne the moose and porcupines come out and you can walk right up to them.  Gulls and such will approach people in the city or at tourist spots, but not too close in the wild.  Coyotes are walking the streets of Vancouver.  Thousands of bald eagles at their dump as well.  NS has eagles fed in the valley and at a beef slaugherhouse at the eastern end of the province.  Another example are the geese in cities like Mississauga.  They have no fear of people, and have a population explosion in the cities.

At my club's rifle range, we've got ducks landing in the pond next to the black powder section.  They don't care about the booms.  Hares run around the 100M range - one walked by my foot as I'm seated by the bench.  Grouse nesting on road into the range, takes dust bath in pothole as I drive closer - waited a minute for it to leave.  Robin standing on target stand while I'm shooting 4 feet over his head - he doesn't care.  Same for chipmunk running by targets at hand gun range while there is shooting.

Animals and birds don't fear the sound of guns.  They fear being hunted, and they learn where people don't hunt them is a safe place, whether that is suburbia, or a park.  They are learning more and more what is the safest habitat which also provides food.

#29 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 9157 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:51 PM

There's no snakes, porcupines, deer, ground hogs....or skunks on the Isle of NFLD.  wink.png wink.png  

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#30 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:42 AM

There's no snakes, porcupines, deer, ground hogs....or skunks on the Isle of NFLD.  wink.png wink.png  

I am confusing it with Keji.  The porcupines and deer there come out almost every evening along the road into the park.  It was moose along similar road for Gros Morne National Park.  None of animals there show any fear of people.

Years ago I talked with a man in Arizona who had been to Banff or Jasper.  His comment was "the animals in Canada are so friendly".  I had never been to such a park at the time and didn't understand until later in life.

#31 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:15 PM

The trend I'm referring to is all nature moves to human civilization like the racoons, crows, deer, etc.

I don't need to be in the woods all the time to notice this.  Snow, mud and scat shows a record of who is out there.  Animals learn they are safe in human habitat, not safe in the wilderness.  If you're ever in a big national park this can be demonstrated clearly.  At Gross Morne the moose and porcupines come out and you can walk right up to them.  Gulls and such will approach people in the city or at tourist spots, but not too close in the wild.  Coyotes are walking the streets of Vancouver.  Thousands of bald eagles at their dump as well.  NS has eagles fed in the valley and at a beef slaugherhouse at the eastern end of the province.  Another example are the geese in cities like Mississauga.  They have no fear of people, and have a population explosion in the cities.
At my club's rifle range, we've got ducks landing in the pond next to the black powder section.  They don't care about the booms.  Hares run around the 100M range - one walked by my foot as I'm seated by the bench.  Grouse nesting on road into the range, takes dust bath in pothole as I drive closer - waited a minute for it to leave.  Robin standing on target stand while I'm shooting 4 feet over his head - he doesn't care.  Same for chipmunk running by targets at hand gun range while there is shooting.
Animals and birds don't fear the sound of guns.  They fear being hunted, and they learn where people don't hunt them is a safe place, whether that is suburbia, or a park.  They are learning more and more what is the safest habitat which also provides food.

We keep cutting down their homelands and building our own houses and apartments. Wildlife has no choice but to adapt or expire. They choose to adapt. Urban hunting has become quite popular in many US states.
If the raccoons keep digging up my lawn and the deer continue to feast on my gardens and shrubs urban hunting will happen here!!!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#32 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:35 AM

We keep cutting down their homelands and building our own houses and apartments. Wildlife has no choice but to adapt or expire. They choose to adapt. Urban hunting has become quite popular in many US states.
If the raccoons keep digging up my lawn and the deer continue to feast on my gardens and shrubs urban hunting will happen here!!!

That is priceless biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png from the man with blinds in the back yard laugh.png laugh.png

#33 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:25 AM

Didnot know that. All I can remember is drinking something called Screech kissing this beautiful babe with hot lips that later proved to be a cod and waking up with a sore head in Dildo cove and being offered a figgy duff ?? for breakfastbiggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

#34 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

In the 70's someone caught a skunk in their trap near Goose Bay.  The topic occupied the full length of the radio call-in show up there.  It's not the island of course, but no one had heard of a skunk that far north.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users