labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

For my Weatherby, the manual says:

"Chokes are crafted from high grade steel and are certified for steel shot through modified choke constrictions"

It doesn't specify what types of choke it cannot shoot.  A person has to be awfully careful reading this.

#22 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:22 AM

For my Weatherby, the manual says:

It doesn't specify what types of choke it cannot shoot.  A person has to be awfully careful reading this.

Agree. They did clarify it on their web page just a year ago but some good that does guys with the manual

Should have sent out letters to owners IMO. I have but one a NIB 28ga Sa-08

Cheers

https://weatherby.co...ing-steel-shot/

#23 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:41 AM

You CAN run full chokes with steel. In choke tube guns. Provided the full choke you get says it can be used with steel. Not all are labeled as safe for steel. Many chokes will also have a restriction on shot size and/or velocity.

Just curious, why go with steel shot for the bunnies?

It was all i could get for the 20ga unless i wanted #9 shot.
I could use my 12ga or 410, but i want to try the 20ga as its lighter than both.
can i go hunting yet??

#24 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

It was all i could get for the 20ga unless i wanted #9 shot.
I could use my 12ga or 410, but i want to try the 20ga as its lighter than both.

Same here big shortage of 20ga lead it seems and when you find it price is nuts. I talked to one guy who paid 44 bucks and tax for one of the last three boxes of 7 1/2   20ga lead  left in sydney sad.png

Let us know how it kills please at 1325 fps ( I think ) it is

https://www.canadian...51342p.html#srp

#25 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:37 PM

Jußt priced 20 gauge locally in Lead and Steel , lead was $16-20 per 25 rounds Steel was $23-28 depending on brand , both dealers had adequate stock , Crappy tire has lots just not in shelf as seems it's just easier to get it from back warehouse and bring it out to counter when asked for. Crappy tires stock online is no where close to actual store count .

Just tried purchase a floating shotgun case on sale but no where even close to I be status online , easier to take product code and ask for I by associate , that is if they even know what your looking for
I'm just a Lone Wolf Red Neck !

#26 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Jußt priced 20 gauge locally in Lead and Steel , lead was $16-20 per 25 rounds Steel was $23-28 depending on brand , both dealers had adequate stock , Crappy tire has lots just not in shelf as seems it's just easier to get it from back warehouse and bring it out to counter when asked for. Crappy tires stock online is no where close to actual store count .

Just tried purchase a floating shotgun case on sale but no where even close to I be status online , easier to take product code and ask for I by associate , that is if they even know what your looking for

If you find one down this way i can get it and bring it up end of the month
can i go hunting yet??

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

Do you remember what shot size the lead was only No. 9 the last time I checked for a friend there for that at crappy tire. Mind you we were still selling veggies so at least 6 weeks ago

I will let him know and to ask what is out back when he goes in since I know he wants more No. 6 or 71/2

Thanks for the heads up

Just something that has been working for me with them ( Canadian tire )  online. If it shows in stock I place the order online and wait until I get the notice to pick it up sometimes it takes over a week or more but

Seems even when they cannot find it they will get it somewhere to fill your online order and have never cancelled one on me so far

No idea what case you want but if it is that instore special for 17.93 they still show one in stock so if your inline order goes through even if they don't have it they will have to get you one for that price or an equal  I assume or at least they do that in glace bay. Worth a shot

Mossy Oak™ Floating Shotgun Case

#28 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 06:39 PM

Tell your buddy , get hold of Chris King over Bras for Recreation , he had # 4-6 lead as well as 7 1/2 but #9 he could bring in no problem he said #2-4Steel instock , Home Hardware in Wycogamah has Steel and lead but limited amounts , we stopped in cause I was told they had 10gauge on sale but $60 a box plus tax is nuts , when I get it $35-45 elsewhere .

As for that floating gun case , yes crappy tire but stock says last counted 2018 for inventory so no it's not to be found , plus cases were almost totally sold out in store , was just looking for it to have extra one as not even needed, got plenty of thick cases here even the older style with the heavy black cap on the end that are not to be found in stores very often . Just being gear junkie to buy something on sale weather it's needed or not .

#29 Tyson10gauge

Tyson10gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:49 AM

If you find one down this way i can get it and bring it up end of the month

Thanks it was impulse buy if available , not in no real need of one just taking advantage of clearance item

#30 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

Tell your buddy , get hold of Chris King over Bras for Recreation , he had # 4-6 lead as well as 7 1/2 but #9 he could bring in no problem he said #2-4Steel instock , Home Hardware in Wycogamah has Steel and lead but limited amounts , we stopped in cause I was told they had 10gauge on sale but $60 a box plus tax is nuts , when I get it $35-45 elsewhere .

As for that floating gun case , yes crappy tire but stock says last counted 2018 for inventory so no it's not to be found , plus cases were almost totally sold out in store , was just looking for it to have extra one as not even needed, got plenty of thick cases here even the older style with the heavy black cap on the end that are not to be found in stores very often . Just being gear junkie to buy something on sale weather it's needed or not .

Thank you Walter. Didnot know they were still into it

Years ago I would take a few hours and load him what ever he needs for a few years since I have all the components but since the laws changed for reloading I won't

I told him to come over and I would help him reload his own but he is not interested

Now we cannot even legally give away reloaded ammo vs selling it as in the past

Thanks again

#31 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

I bought components for 3030, it was reloaded ammo. That i had to take apart and then reload to the same specs.
I know who reloaded it and trust him but had to dump and reload every round
can i go hunting yet??

#32 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

I bought components for 3030, it was reloaded ammo. That i had to take apart and then reload to the same specs.
I know who reloaded it and trust him but had to dump and reload every round

Honestly he would have had to take it apart for you and then he could have sold you the components as it is now written since 2013

Times have changed and now that is illegal to do as you say even if you took them apart and redid them

They see it as you bought reloaded ammo regardless what was done after but more important that he sold it as completed rounds and would be in crap if caught

Only specific tested ammo and suppliers approved and listed on the NRCAN site can sell reloads and there are very few in canada

Full details are available

In section 35 of Part IV of the Explosives Regulations (Manufacture of Explosives), 

Cheers

#33 labradort

labradort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:33 AM

Do you remember what shot size the lead was only No. 9 the last time I checked for a friend there for that at crappy tire. Mind you we were still selling veggies so at least 6 weeks ago

I will let him know and to ask what is out back when he goes in since I know he wants more No. 6 or 71/2

If you want 7 1/2 lead shot in 20 gauge, they sell 100 shell packages for cheap:

Scroll down to Product Availability.  Lots of stores have it in stock, but not some in Cape Breton.  Sydney store showing 2 boxes as of this moment.  Antigonish and New Glasgow have it.

I have found the inventory fairly accurate except if it says 1, and then it's sometimes missing.  If the web site says they have it, but it's not on the shelf, just ask and show them the website count, and they will dig it up.

#34 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:32 AM

If you want 7 1/2 lead shot in 20 gauge, they sell 100 shell packages for cheap:

Scroll down to Product Availability.  Lots of stores have it in stock, but not some in Cape Breton.  Sydney store showing 2 boxes as of this moment.  Antigonish and New Glasgow have it.

I have found the inventory fairly accurate except if it says 1, and then it's sometimes missing.  If the web site says they have it, but it's not on the shelf, just ask and show them the website count, and they will dig it up.

That 45 bucks was for a 100 round pack. I missed that thank you

He paid that for a 25 round box which is why I mentioned it since that is what he showed me . Must have been priced wrong

I will let him know and he can go back in if he has his receipt and see if the two 100 rounders are still there

Thanks for the help

#35 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2333 posts
  • LocationWestphal

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

Wondering what everyone is using in their 20 ga. while running hounds? Which choke and what size shot?

I don't hunt alot of bunnys any more however the 20ga is my favorite walking shotgun . when I did hunt bunnys I tended to go moderately large shot with a more open choke ( #4 with imp cyl choke ). my experence less damage to the bunny .

Citori 725 Sporting

​Maxus Hunter
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori 725 field 20ga

BPS Field

​Remington 1100 std weight 20ga 

#36 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

Was back to bass pro today for the cap stud for the 20ga and sling swivels
They had a few more 20ga in stock but mostly 7,8,9. They did have 2 3/4 #4 in lead $15/box
6 boxes too

They did have what i was looking for too.
can i go hunting yet??

#37 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

Was back to bass pro today for the cap stud for the 20ga and sling swivels
They had a few more 20ga in stock but mostly 7,8,9. They did have 2 3/4 #4 in lead $15/box
6 boxes too

They did have what i was looking for too.

Did you get a bunny with the steel the other day. How did it work 

Cheers

#38 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

Nope i didn't get a bunny with it, i got 2 lol
I was forced to take the 12ga as it has a sling.
And before you ask...i sling my shotgun when the hounds are leashed so a sudden dash on their part doesn't leave me with a wildly swinging shotgun
When 2 hounds see a bunny sitting roadside they try to dash after it pulling me along for the ride.
Ill be taking it out Saturday morning and probably bunny island Monday.
I already had it out for the hwwa newbie event nov8. I personally downed 3 birds and several others dropped a few too.
can i go hunting yet??

#39 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:26 PM

Nope i didn't get a bunny with it, i got 2 lol
I was forced to take the 12ga as it has a sling.
And before you ask...i sling my shotgun when the hounds are leashed so a sudden dash on their part doesn't leave me with a wildly swinging shotgun
When 2 hounds see a bunny sitting roadside they try to dash after it pulling me along for the ride.
Ill be taking it out Saturday morning and probably bunny island Monday.
I already had it out for the hwwa newbie event nov8. I personally downed 3 birds and several others dropped a few too.

You won't hear anything negative on a shotgun sling form me. I have always had one on all my waterfowl guns and as one ages they are some nice on upland guns also smile.png In fact most 16ga and 12ga I have fit swivels on just in case

Cheers

#40 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11410 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

Thinking of you today when cleaning the basement and happened to look up

I think we both have a bad disease this gear junkie and no cure

I wonder if I will be Ok with three bundles of gun cases I kept wacko.png

I am a hoarder yes I am in everything sad.png

Pic to follow

QfHRWSs.jpg

1DbSFID.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users